Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This guy needs an ass kickin!

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11696235

Horse racing will eventually break down -- and not a day too soon

eath has already come to the Kentucky Derby, so it's safe to watch on Saturday. Death can't happen so soon again. Can it?

It can't. The odds are against it, and supporters of horseracing are all about the odds. They can live with the number of horses dying -- with the freaking odds -- so we'll assume they're right. Death can't happen again this soon. So if you have even a shred of curiosity about horse racing in general or about the Derby itself, you might want to watch this weekend.

Because the sport won't be around forever.

This can't go on. Horse racing, I mean. It can't, and more to the point, it won't. It'll take years, probably decades, but we're moving toward the day when the Kentucky Derby is as dead as the horse who died this week at Churchill Downs.

more at the link
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
toussaud

you know what gets me? when is the last time you seen an aritlce about juddmonte? someone who does everything right. Or Allen Jerkins? Or Shug? or anyone doing something half ass right in the industry?

that is why the game is not going anywhere anytime soon. Because idiots like this focus on the dead trees admist the forest.

but horse racing does need to do a better job of policing itself
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Onion Monster

A horse dies in a freak accident and it's a tragedy? Someone give this dude a dictionary.

A tragedy is a young man breaking his neck playing high school football. A tragedy is a little league pitcher getting hit in the head with a line-drive. A tragedy is a basketball player collapsing at half-court because of an undetected heart defect.

And the attack on horse-racing being elitist is horse%*^&. I know people who own or train horses. How many NBA owners do you know? What's the price of admission to Churchill compared to the price of a Super Bowl ticket?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
matthewsiv

Cool

Your heading says it all.
matthewsiv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Cangamble
Agitator

Does CBS expect to get any ad revenue from racing anymore?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
ryesteve

Where did he get his numbers from? I have a heard time believing that there's a fatality once every 3 days in NY, and that 20% of all fatalities occur in NY.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He made it up.
Look who he reports for.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
slew101

The dolt who wrote the article, and the dolt who edited it, should know horse racing is TWO words. That in itself shows this guy is an Internet clown.

Unfortunately, with newspapers on the decline, this is what passes for journalism today. Pathetic.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Get Real

Are his numbers anywhere close to accurate?

How many total thoroughbreds are there, counting all in breeding, training, etc.

What should we do with all of these horses if we abolish the sport.

In addition to horse racing, I like fishing. Almost ALL of the fish I come in contact with die by my hands. They are also beautiful creatures. Tasty too.

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
MNslappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He made it up.
Look who he reports for.

Maybe he got the numbers from Dan Rather in a secret memo
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
DeltaLover

This guy is a complete ignorant.... All these crap he is mentioning in his article make absolutely no sense.... I expect DRF, Crist, Beyer and all the horse racing journalists to respond to this stupid guy and to all the similar PETA 'activists' etc.....
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNslappy
Maybe he got the numbers from Dan Rather in a secret memo
The memos were forged, but at least the content was accurate.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
miesque

I found this article a bit disconcerting because of where it was located, the CBS Sports website. There have been articles critical of the sport of horse racing before, but I do not recall seeing one so vociferously anti-racing on a major sports site and that is not at all good. I obviously strongly disagree with the article and it pisses me off, but it also illustrated to me that racing needs to start having some positive news out there because the negative news is eroding a lot of public goodwill for the sport. Horse Racing is in dire need of a serious PR blitz.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
I found this article a bit disconcerting because of where it was located, the CBS Sports website. There have been articles critical of the sport of horse racing before, but I do not recall seeing one so vociferously anti-racing on a major sports site and that is not at all good. I obviously strongly disagree with the article and it pisses me off, but it also illustrated to me that racing needs to start having some positive news out there because the negative news is eroding a lot of public goodwill for the sport. Horse Racing is in dire need of a serious PR blitz.
Not enough people care. And less people care each day. And again, it is hard to promote a form of gambling that costs so much to play versus competitive forms of gambling.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Spendabuck85

Was watching the Today show on NBC this morning and what did they talk about - Eight Belles and Barbaro.
This is the network covering the Derby tomorrow - how many clips of these two will they be showing
Spendabuck85 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply