Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
Tor Ekman

Tragic Accident or Manslaugher on Ice???

https://pjmedia.com/benbartee/2023/1...n-ice-n4923472

Based on what I've read about the Petgrave's history of on-ice chippy/dirty play, I can see an intent to kick Adam Johnson in that video, and while he obviously did not intend to slit his throat, he should be held accountable for the consequences of his reckless act.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

I did not know ice skates were that sharp. That was a deliberate act, in this state of Virginia that is voluntary manslaughter, he meant to do harm and it led to someone's death. I heard about this but never saw a video and the source I got called it a tragic accident. That high kick was no accident, what was he aiming for? Was he trying to slash his face and it landed low?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2023, 10:53 PM   #3
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I did not know ice skates were that sharp. That was a deliberate act, in this state of Virginia that is voluntary manslaughter, he meant to do harm and it led to someone's death. I heard about this but never saw a video and the source I got called it a tragic accident. That high kick was no accident, what was he aiming for? Was he trying to slash his face and it landed low?
It wasn't a hockey move that's for sure. Player for the Bruins recently got a skate cut under to his face. Pretty nasty accident and almost lost an eye.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...cut-to-the-eye
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
jimmyb

F9dlV95W0AAtZBK.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
It wasn't a hockey move that's for sure. Player for the Bruins recently got a skate cut to his face. Pretty nasty accident and almost lost an eye.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...cut-to-the-eye
33541[/ATTACH]

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-01-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
xtb

No way in hell that was an accident.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #6
xtb

Quote:
It's common to have skate laces cut like with scissors, from other's skates and chunks of the blade holder missing from other skates. Hockey socks get shredded, I had many pair ruined.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #7
xtb

I remember when Clint Malarchuk got his jugular cut. It was a pure accident though.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...hed-on-the-ice
Old 11-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
It's common to have skate laces cut like with scissors, from other's skates and chunks of the blade holder missing from other skates. Hockey socks get shredded, I had many pair ruined.

Where I grew up in SoCal it was like big news when they put an ice skating rink in the mall, they were not that popular. I could barely ride a skateboard so I was not missing anything. I don't think I have ever seen an ice skate up close. Do the skates get sharper as they wear?
Old 11-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #9
xtb

Quote:
Where I grew up in SoCal it was like big news when they put an ice skating rink in the mall, they were not that popular. I could barely ride a skateboard so I was not missing anything. I don't think I have ever seen an ice skate up close. Do the skates get sharper as they wear?
They don't get sharper as they wear but there is a concave radius on the bottom of the blade, it's not a 90 degree edge.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #10
Tor Ekman

If the dead player was black guy and the offender was white guy with a history of dirty play, think the media would be reporting this as a "freak accident"???
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I remember when Clint Malarchuk got his jugular cut. It was a pure accident though.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...hed-on-the-ice
I remember him... With all the wrestling down on the ice, with skates flailing around like they do, i'm surprised we don't see more of these type of injuries.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I remember him... With all the wrestling down on the ice, with skates flailing around like they do, i'm surprised we don't see more of these type of injuries.

I think the way hockey tolerates fighting is pathetic, rough play, checking into the boards, I am fine with. Any of the other major team sports, that usually gets you suspended. Of course of the 4 major team sports I watch very little hockey, usually only play-off games when nothing else is on.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:12 PM   #13
jimmyb

Quote:
I think the way hockey tolerates fighting is pathetic, rough play, checking into the boards, I am fine with. Any of the other major team sports, that usually gets you suspended. Of course of the 4 major team sports I watch very little hockey, usually only play-off games when nothing else is on.
I don't like fighting because someone got ckecked cleanly. A good check is part of the game. I don't mind if a dirty play gets the offender a beating. I watch Chris Nilans podcasts on youtube and he interviews many past enforcers. Dave Brown, Jay Miller, Tie Domi, Bob Proberts wife. Facinating to hear things from their perspective.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I don't like fighting because someone got ckecked cleanly. A good check is part of the game. I don't mind if a dirty play gets the offender a beating. I watch Chris Nilans podcasts on youtube and he interviews many past enforcers. Dave Brown, Jay Miller, Tie Domi, Bob Proberts wife. Facinating to hear things from their perspective.

I think a lot of hockey fans go to hope to see fights, the same type people that watch auto racing for the wrecks. I think the fighting puts butts in the seats. The last year I worked for someone other than me the business owner had season front row center ice tickets and a luxury suite for the new Anaheim Duck franchise. The owner would give tickets to the employees if he wasn't entertaining customers. I was always told live NHL is so much more a different experience than watching on TV. Just like NFL you can
see the speed and violence of the game the TV audience doesn't appreciate. It still did not turn me into a hockey fan.

I could be rather strange, I boxed as an amateur, always watched Tuesday Night Fights on USA (There were a lot of time low grade club fighters) went to the LA Olympic Auditorium for fights, yet I will not watch MMA or the like or women boxing. I am just for civilized violence.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:47 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

When I first moved to British Columbia, I did not know a thing about ice hockey.

Friends and colleagues tried to help out, but I think it is one of those pastimes that you have to had grown up with (like BB, football, and basket ball here in the USA) to ever understand the subtleties about it.

One of the very first phrases I learned; "Hey there was a fight here and then a hockey game broke out from that."

I learned (via the Canucks team) that each team has an "enforcer" or two, whose JOB it is to start altercations where they were never necessary. The Canucks has a guy named "Tiger" Williams who played that role sitting in the penalty box so often one would think that was his position.

I witnessed people who were sitting outside the protection of the glass around the rink her some nasty cuts when the puck sailed higher than that protection allowed. One young girl (NOT that long ago) was killed at a Blue Jackets game from that very maneuver.

I never thought the players had the protection that say an NFL player had..