Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

You Ever Just Been Plain Lucky Like THIS????

Today was looking @ PP's for Penn Nat...saw there was only 10 minutes or so til post for the 4th. Said the heck with that, proceeded to 'cap the 5th race. Took a good look, wrote down a few things, phone rang, got distracted...suddenly remembered the 5th race! It was almost post time---I had decided on betting the 7 to win, with a $1 ex box 3,4,7. I quickly enter those wagers, close everything up, and take off to do some running around.

I get back and found, in my haste....I hadn't even noticed, the 4th race at Penn hadn't gone off yet--I had accidentally bet the 7 to win, with the 3,4,7 ex box--in the 4th, not 5th.
That accidental exacta paid $162.90, that I wouldn't have hit had I played the proper race, although the 7 did win the 5th @ a short price.

Anyone else ever get lucky, despite themselves???
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

I've been incredibly lucky in betting wrong races or wrong tracks, there is no doubt I'm up lifetime on mistakes similar to yours. I do know this, there's no better feeling, right?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Track Phantom

Late '80's, a friend of my dad's shows up to the races late, runs to the window and bets a $20 exacta box on 1 and 3. He thought he was betting the 3rd race, a 5 horse field, and thought he was boxing the 3-5 favorite and the 5-2 second choice.

Instead, he arrived for the 2nd race, a field of 12, and he had a 15-1 and 22-1 boxed. He ran up to us as the horses just broke from the gate. He starts swearing as he realizes he's got the wrong race.

Needless to say, it was an absolute blanket photo (like 5 horses within a head of each other). Of course it runs 1 over 3 and he collects over $5,000.

Never in my life would I be that lucky. Never! In fact, I would be more prone to have wanted to bet a $20 exacta box on those two longshots, made the bet in a race too late and lost....then gone back to get the results of the race I meant to bet and find out I would have hit it.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I've been incredibly lucky in betting wrong races or wrong tracks, there is no doubt I'm up lifetime on mistakes similar to yours. I do know this, there's no better feeling, right?
LOL.....I once ran a software program, late at night, I was really tired. I saw a horse in the first @ Turf Paradise that had a huge points gap to the rest of the field. I finally finished up, and here in Cal, you turn in @ 6 AM, wake up, and done missed out on all the early races on the east coast.
It's a handicap, I tell you....if you have a pace play in mind, one scratch can blow that entire set-up all to hell. But here, we have to make our bets before we turn in, if you're up late handicapping.
Anyway....I go ahead, bet my Turf Paradise horse in the 1st (along with whatever else I had going)...and shut it down.
Later on, I check my ADW and see I hit a big longshot somewhere. Turns out it was that 1st race @ TP--A 300 YARD QUARTER HORSE RACE! I don't do Quarters....but was too tired to notice.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Poindexter

This goes back many years, back when i actually had to drive to the track to make my pick six plays. Anyhow, I had a computer printout of 45 tickets to play. It takes quite a while to mark 45 tickets and check etc, so by the time I finished it was virtually off time for the first leg of the pick six. when I got done paying for the tickets I had noticed that it had cost a little more than it should have(maybe $12 or $16). It was too late to verify. Somehow I managed to play 1 of my 45 tickets twice. Miraculously that ticket came in. The bad news is that it paid about 1/2 of what I was expecting to get back, but that mistake ended up being about a $12,000 mistake in my favor(I was really expecting it to be about a $25,000 mistake in my favor). Never before, never since have I had anything like that ever happen to me.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #6
plainolebill

Something like that happened to me the other day. Bet a horse to win and keyed him in a part exacta wheel - only I put the wrong horse on top. Hit a nice exacta.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
RunForTheRoses

While I have had a lot of bad luck betting the ponies overall I think I am up luck wise.
One weekend, Friday night I played Turfway and did fantastic, then won playing Gulfsream and Tampa. Was up two three grand if not more... but then I got cold playing SA and GG (may have been BM). Late Sunday my account was down to less than five hundred and I was real pissed I squandered so much.
I then looked in my account and was astonished to find over 6 grand when I expected to see maybe $432. My instinct was to grab my coat and go to OTB and withdraw before the error was found. Before I left o did see I hit the early Pick 4 at GG using my SA numbers. It was all long shots.
There have been times I've F Ed up that have hurt me but that one was sweet for me.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Today was looking @ PP's for Penn Nat...saw there was only 10 minutes or so til post for the 4th. Said the heck with that, proceeded to 'cap the 5th race. Took a good look, wrote down a few things, phone rang, got distracted...suddenly remembered the 5th race! It was almost post time---I had decided on betting the 7 to win, with a $1 ex box 3,4,7. I quickly enter those wagers, close everything up, and take off to do some running around.

I get back and found, in my haste....I hadn't even noticed, the 4th race at Penn hadn't gone off yet--I had accidentally bet the 7 to win, with the 3,4,7 ex box--in the 4th, not 5th.
That accidental exacta paid $162.90, that I wouldn't have hit had I played the proper race, although the 7 did win the 5th @ a short price.

Anyone else ever get lucky, despite themselves???
I hit a super high 5 paying like $900 easter weekend that I tried to cancel and twinspires wouldn't let me...bet like 4 different tickets was able to cancel to first 3 and I guess they have a max.....couldn't cancel the last one and it hit...was like a $9 ticket. I about stroked out the following am when I looked at my account
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
MonmouthParkJoe

More often than not I get screwed. Touted Mucho Macho Man several years back in the Breeders only to totally pick the wrong horse and miss my horizontal wager for big money.

Only time I remember this working out well was at Freehold maybe ten years ago. Wanted to play the 4 at Freehold, $100 to win. Teller gave me $100 to win on the 4 at Aqueduct. 4 horse wins at freehold, pays $3.60. Check my ticket and start losing my mind. Checked the Aqueduct screen and the 4 won, paid $49.

I now only use self service machines to avoid this.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
Fox

Before this year, I am sure I am down quite a bit on my mistake wagers, but my errors have been uncannily on the money this year. Latest was yesterday at Churchill, I meant to bet $40 on the 8 horse in the 9th race. I bet the 9 horse in the 9th though. I guess I had the 9 in my head because of the race number. I realized what I did but couldn't cancel. 3 horse photo for first that took 3 minutes to post the order. Anyway, the 9 got it by a bobbing nose and paid $41 for $2.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Was playing VIA NYC OTB On line account.

Punched .30 cent super 35/35/4/1. Small action bet. You had to punch decimal then 3 then 0 to get the amount right. I thought I pressed the decimal but skipped it....

Punched it for 30 bucks instead. Ramon was riding the 4, a closer in a 6 horse field.

Like the 3&5 to run 1-2 at decent prices over the closing chalk.

3&5 run a 2 speed number in this 2 turn dirt affair. Ramon is a clear and rallying 3rd in early stretch. Thankfully, his horse doesn't rally anymore.

The 1 plops up for 4th.

Tri paid $400.

I dropped the super pool too much (by accident) and the super paid $600 and change.

Didn't mind the $2,250 withholder (and $9000 overall) as I was totally lucky betting a race I had no intention of betting more than an action bet on.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 11-19-2015 at 09:06 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #12
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Was playing VIA NYC OTB On line account.

Punched .30 cent super 35/35/4/1. Small action bet. You had to punch decimal then 3 then 0 to get the amount right. I thought I pressed the decimal but skipped it....

Did you try to cancel this bet or was it too late when you realized your mistake?

This reminds me of an incident I had with a NYC OTB online account where I bet AQU with a $20 double ALL w a single in the 2nd leg (who was like a 3-1 shot) - so I put in the bet & realize I started the bet in the 6th race instead of the 5th. So I call up & am trying to cancel & they tell me anything done online there's no way it can be cancelled, so I'm really pissed cause this was a decent sized bet for me, I start telling them this is why they're going bankrupt & why nobody likes them & their customer service is garbage etc (not my style, pretty much always courteous)....then my frustration is compounded more when I realize I'm now singled to a horse 20-1 on the ML ridden by apprentice Jackie Davis. So in the race I now have all, a 45-1 shot wires the field, prospective double paying $600+. Start looking at the form deeper & thinking my single doesn't look all that bad actually, public agrees & knocks it down to 6-1, Jackie gives a fantastic ride & gets him home (6 years ago, maybe the last time I cashed with her). Extra bonus, late scratch in the race knocks the double below tax threshold to about $580, best day I had all year by far. He might be old & far below best form now, but still get a smile when I see Most Happy Fella in the entries as that was the 45-1 bomb when he was a mere youngster.

Only once did I ever think I bet a winner & realized I punched the wrong number, that was on a payout that would've netted a total of $12. Guess I'll take that win one lose one record any time.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Good memory with Most Happy Fella, Rosie aboard:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...10&cy=USA&rn=6

Congrats nailing the double for $577 with Jackie aboard:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...10&cy=USA&rn=7

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 11-19-2015 at 10:56 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4
Did you try to cancel this bet or was it too late when you realized your mistake?

This reminds me of an incident I had with a NYC OTB online account where I bet AQU with a $20 double ALL w a single in the 2nd leg (who was like a 3-1 shot) - so I put in the bet & realize I started the bet in the 6th race instead of the 5th. So I call up & am trying to cancel & they tell me anything done online there's no way it can be cancelled, so I'm really pissed cause this was a decent sized bet for me, I start telling them this is why they're going bankrupt & why nobody likes them & their customer service is garbage etc (not my style, pretty much always courteous)....then my frustration is compounded more when I realize I'm now singled to a horse 20-1 on the ML ridden by apprentice Jackie Davis. So in the race I now have all, a 45-1 shot wires the field, prospective double paying $600+. Start looking at the form deeper & thinking my single doesn't look all that bad actually, public agrees & knocks it down to 6-1, Jackie gives a fantastic ride & gets him home (6 years ago, maybe the last time I cashed with her). Extra bonus, late scratch in the race knocks the double below tax threshold to about $580, best day I had all year by far. He might be old & far below best form now, but still get a smile when I see Most Happy Fella in the entries as that was the 45-1 bomb when he was a mere youngster.

Only once did I ever think I bet a winner & realized I punched the wrong number, that was on a payout that would've netted a total of $12. Guess I'll take that win one lose one record any time.
No...they wouldn't cancel wagers from on line bets ever.

That's an awesome story and I LOOOOOOVVVEEEE MOSTHAPPYFELLA. Not to bet on him but I love how he overcomes pace battles and STILL Battles on late for minor spots. Nice horse full of heart.

NYC OTB (ON LINE) was the cause of 1 other "lucky" score I had way back in the day.

Was betting Chucktown at night. If you remember that ugly green screen they had....they had a race row running left to right. Well I bet the 5th at CT.

Race is running, I look down at the PC and the 5 button is still bright, not colored dark (for unavailable).

I think quick....bet a $20 super 3 something something something (they had just turned into the short stretch). I get the bet in. I can't believe my eyes. I quickly think that SUPER pool is too small. Punch up a TRI for 20 and hit repeat. They closed the pool for the TRI.

As I get older I forget the amount but I think the SUP paid $578 or something like that. Tri paid just under the super.

I thought for weeks NYC OTB would come after me for the money.

Then I realized. My money hit the pools. What does any track care if I bet before or after the bell? They're probably betting after the bell too. I still ran to the crumby local OTB and made that withdrawal quickly despite thinking they'll never do a thing about it.

Crazy part is, I was hitting that race anyway LOL.

Those days are gone....Unless you're at the REDMILE LOL
Old 11-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I'm at the new PENN back in 2009 or so. GF offers to make my bet for me. (meaning go punch it up as I was a few boxes down on that 4th floor or whatever it is now).

$30 exacta 1-345 is the play.

She runs up and she bets $300 exactas 1-345. Brings ticket to me as horses are loading. I had given her a voucher for $2000 or something so of course the machine took the bet.

She sees the error, sprints up to a teller, cuts a 6 deep line to cancel the bet. Everyone let's her go as she's cute and petite.

Runs back with the $30 exacta of 1-345.

I never ever wanted to lose a race before and low behold the blankety blank exacta came in....

Moral of the story...Always let lady luck work her magic....