Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #91
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
So based on the Thaskalos bill of rights, a writer may not opine about what an owner does with his/her horse because they put down their own money. Does this bill of rights also apply to professional sports teams and their owners?
Actually this whole thing , her 120 acre farm she leases , likely was financed by her Dad,
Most excercise riders or Vet techs , she tried that too. Can't afford a farm , lol.
I really don't see her story as much if a fairytale . But I do really like the horse .
If you failed to get a win in 22 attempts and now you have a beast , something big changed and you got lucky to get one heck of a horse to win a breeders cup ..
I can understand why Beyer had his questions ..he's entitled .
Old 11-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #92
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
What is it with regard to drugs that has stayed the same? Legal or illegal drugs? Beyer is not the racing czar so he really isn't in a position to make an executive order and make things go away. His job is to opine on horse racing and issues involving racing. He has never been shy about upsetting the so-called "arrogant establishment".
Both legal drugs and illegal drugs continue to plague the game in terms of public perception and wagering results. The sport is dying. Beyer may not be a racing czar, but he's one of the few public "player centric" voices, and his opposition to drugs in racing (I believe at least the illegal kind when questioning certain trainer's win records) seems to have faded over time.

So now, rather than spending his valuable "keyboard capital" on the important issues of the day, or even just a "feel good" story on racing's biggest week, he instead launches a thinly veiled attack on a trainer who isn't deserving of the chance to train such fine horseflesh.

The irony is that he is now himself part of that arrogant establishment.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #93
thaskalos

Quote:
So based on the Thaskalos bill of rights, a writer may not opine about what an owner does with his/her horse because they put down their own money. Does this bill of rights also apply to professional sports teams and their owners?
There is no "Thaskalos bill of right"...there is only Thaskalos" opinion. Beyer has HIS opinions...and I got mine.

Runhappy's owner stated that he thinks his horse is "better off being where he is loved, with people who care about him". The man obviously cares about his horse, and wants to run it drug-free...and none of Beyer's "established trainers" were willing to abide by the owner's rules. So...the owner hired the only trainer he could find who was willing to manage a drug-free horse. And he was proven RIGHT in his assessment...while Beyer was proven wrong.

This owner's viewpoint is hardly a "fantasy", in my opinion. It is a noble and honorable thing to do...and the industry should be ASHAMED for not making this horse's story front-page news. The game's "journalists" lament the sorry state that our sport finds itself in as a result of the widespread drug problem permeating the game...but then, these same journalists mock the owners and trainers who refuse to play by the sport's shameful "rules".

God forbid if all the owners suddenly "fell in love with their horses"...instead of being mainly motivated by the almighty dollar.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #94
johnhannibalsmith

Well, sounds like the story has changed.

https://twitter.com/IMariaValentine/...42500551610368

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #95
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
There is no "Thaskalos bill of right"...there is only Thaskalos" opinion. Beyer has HIS opinions...and I got mine.

Runhappy's owner stated that he thinks his horse is "better off being where he is loved, with people who care about him". The man obviously cares about his horse, and wants to run it drug-free...and none of Beyer's "established trainers" were willing to abide by the owner's rules. So...the owner hired the only trainer he could find who was willing to manage a drug-free horse. And he was proven RIGHT in his assessment...while Beyer was proven wrong.

This owner's viewpoint is hardly a "fantasy", in my opinion. It is a noble and honorable thing to do...and the industry should be ASHAMED for not making this horse's story front-page news. The game's "journalists" lament the sorry state that our sport finds itself in as a result of the widespread drug problem permeating the game...but then, these same journalists mock the owners and trainers who refuse to play by the sport's shameful "rules".

God forbid if all the owners suddenly "fell in love with their horses"...instead of being mainly motivated by the almighty dollar.
Borell being the winning trainer of a BC champion given her extremely limited training experience is indeed a fantasy. It would be like the local Pop Warner football coach being named the head coach for a pro team and winning the Super Bowl in the first year.

Experience in training is just as important as any other profession. Check out just about any top trainer and you'll find that they worked for one of the greats at one time.

To say that Mattress Mac had asked many established trainers to train his horse without drugs is ridiculous. I am sure many would have taken the drug-free challenge but I am not sure how many would have taken the challenge of dealing with him. He has always had a reputation of trying to micro-manage the training of his horses without having much horse knowledge to back it up.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #96
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith

Putting this all on Twitter probably not her smartest move.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #97
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Putting this all on Twitter probably not her smartest move.
Sounds like neither party thought this one through very well.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #98
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith

If this is true, I am not shocked and still disgusted. This game is like a hot woman. Fall in love and get repulsed when she is not a great soul.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #99
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Bloodhorse reporting stable manager will take over training, pointed towards Malibu.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #100
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Laura Wohlers confirms Maria Borell is no longer the trainer of Runhappy. Wohlers will take over care. Probably running next in Malibu.
Jeremy Balan --- Bloodhorse
Old 11-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #101
Kash$
Veteran

DISGRACE
Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #102
nijinski

We really don't know the whole story .
Old 11-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #103
Track Phantom

I give up.

One story I wanted to believe in and it's smeared with a big freakin' shit stain.

Wow... I sure hope this doesn't go in the direction it appears to be going.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #104
thaskalos

Nothing is as it seems in this game...

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-01-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #105
Track Phantom

This is impossible to believe. Impossible.
Closed Thread