Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-16-2024, 09:10 AM   #61
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Bears picking up Keenan Allen makes it crystal clear to me.

I see them trading out of #1 and drafting maybe even 2 of the 3 in Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze at WR.

While Keenan is undoubtedly on the back end of his career, he is a high end veteran to teach the ropes to a newbie or two as the #1 to switch over to #2 rather quickly while they have a dynamic slot guy in DJ Moore.

Bears could immediately flip from being one of the worst WR corps in the league to competing as one of the very best.

They give their 1st round pick in 2021 a legit shot at QB, and see what he really has to deliver. If in year 4 he can't deliver, they have a 1st and 2 2nds in 2025 while not needy drafting a QB in a very weak QB class.

From the eye test I like Malik Nabers over Harrison, a few times I have seen Harrison not give a maximum effort on a ball that looks uncatchable. Malik fights for everything and will turn into a defender to break up a pass that could be intercepted. He turns 50-50 balls into 90-10 balls. Malik ran a 4.44 forty, it looks like Harrison did not participate in combine drills, how fast is he in the 40? A quick Google just turned up a bunch of "He probably is capable of a 4.3" comments. What are the chances of Malik Nabers being around at the 9th pick? Bears should trade down on the 1st overall pick, I have a feeling there are plenty of fools who want Caleb Williams.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2024, 12:03 PM   #62
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I just watched his 2023 highlight film. I think some of that 2.8 seconds could be from his being able to escape the rush, most of the time he scrambled around a lot he did not keep his eyes down field and took off running. Most of the time he is only scanning half the field and not sure how many plays I watched in a 30 min video, a 100? He only threw to a 3rd read 2 or 3 times and those could have been going back to read 1 again, hard to tell. It is usually two reads and run. Definitely agree on the poor field vision and slow processing time. He is very athletic, as for receivers DJ Moore WR, and Cole Kmet TE, looked fine to me.
The point about Pocket Time or Time-to-throw (which btw Fields had the longest TTT @3.23) is not about the exact number, but more about the relationship to the other QBs' numbers. His ranking indicates that he has the most time but he still can't get complete passes at a good enough %. The actual reason doesn't matter. It could be his field vision or that he is football dumb or even something else. Combined with his other stats it is just more evidence that he is a crap NFL quarterback.

The Bears have a history of bad quarterbacks; everyone who follows the NFL knows it. I was hoping that Fields was the guy. But there's three years of tape on him and only wishful thinkers see any real improvement. Let's hope Poles gets this right as next year's QB class is not the same quality as this year's AND they are not likely to have the first pick again.

Yes..it would be fabulous to nab one of the top three WRs. But given the state of the Bears' needs another WR is a luxury pick that they can't afford to make. And besides -- who's gonna get these guys the ball?
Old 03-16-2024, 07:47 PM   #63
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The point about Pocket Time or Time-to-throw (which btw Fields had the longest TTT @3.23) is not about the exact number,
Yeah, that number goes up when you’re running sideways being chased…….
Old 03-16-2024, 07:56 PM   #64
wisconsin

Well they did the equivalent of simply releasing Fields.

My gut is telling me Williams is going to be a bust, can only hope that's not the case.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:06 PM   #65
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post

My gut is telling me Williams is going to be a bust, can only hope that's not the case.
Looks like Mike Tomlin is tired of not having a decent QB

They get Wilson for almost nothing and Fields is possibly an improving future star. Gotta admit fields might learn from Wilson…..similar styles.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:58 PM   #66
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yeah, that number goes up when you’re running sideways being chased…….
Geezus. Some of the logic that exists on this board never ceases to amaze me. His pocket time was 2.8 seconds, nearly the longest in the league. Again, I repeat. POCKET time. This means he can't process quickly enough. If he was always "running sideways being chased" his pocket time would be one of the lowest in the league. Why do you think he was traded for a bag of beans? Because no team wanted his ass. Maybe his calling is to be a guy like Taysom Hill. Fields would probably be amazing in that role for 10 or so snaps a game. But he's not an NFL starting QB that's going to throw it 30+ times and win games.

Tomlin's a very good coach. He got two mediocre QBs for peanuts. Good for him. He'll manage to squeeze 9 maybe 10 wins out of his team. Guess what? He got 10 wins from Rudolph, Trushitsky, and Pickett, not exactly a trio of HoFers. Poles' mistake was that he overplayed his hand and got next to nothing in return. The jury is still out on his abilities. For every good move he makes there's a corresponding bad one. But he needs to get the right QB in this draft whomever that is. No mistakes.

One last thing -- we will see how much the Steelers think of Fields. They have to pick up his 5th year option by May 2nd.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-16-2024 at 10:07 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2024, 09:58 PM   #67
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post

Why would they do that? They got nothing.i am so disappointed, angry. This is worse than when they lost the coin flip for Terry Bradshaw. To the Steelers.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:22 PM   #68
mostpost

We just have to hope that I am wrong. If Williams succeeds, I will be his biggest fan.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:01 AM   #69
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Why would they do that? They got nothing.i am so disappointed, angry. This is worse than when they lost the coin flip for Terry Bradshaw. To the Steelers.

See post #51. They got what he was worth in today’s market. He is just another in a long line of Ohio State quarterbacks who are nfl busts. CJ Stroud may be the exception.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:50 AM   #70
Inner Dirt

Great news! This means the Bears are going to draft Caleb Williams saving Washington from making that mistake.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 02:34 AM   #71
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Bears picking up Keenan Allen makes it crystal clear to me.

I see them trading out of #1 and drafting maybe even 2 of the 3 in Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze at WR.

While Keenan is undoubtedly on the back end of his career, he is a high end veteran to teach the ropes to a newbie or two as the #1 to switch over to #2 rather quickly while they have a dynamic slot guy in DJ Moore.

Bears could immediately flip from being one of the worst WR corps in the league to competing as one of the very best.

They give their 1st round pick in 2021 a legit shot at QB, and see what he really has to deliver. If in year 4 he can't deliver, they have a 1st and 2 2nds in 2025 while not needy drafting a QB in a very weak QB class.
Couldn't have been more wrong.

Bears trade away Fields, and are thus fully set on drafting a QB #1 overall.

On the other hand, the Steelers have now added a 9 time Pro Bowler and former first round selection to their QB room for essentially almost nothing.

Bears have now completely opened themselves to this selection being an absolute can't miss pick. For a team and brass that have selected Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields as 1st round QB selections since 2017, a Chicago fan can't be all that enamored with this decision.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 02:49 AM   #72
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Geezus. Some of the logic that exists on this board never ceases to amaze me. His pocket time was 2.8 seconds, nearly the longest in the league. Again, I repeat. POCKET time. This means he can't process quickly enough. If he was always "running sideways being chased" his pocket time would be one of the lowest in the league. Why do you think he was traded for a bag of beans? Because no team wanted his ass. Maybe his calling is to be a guy like Taysom Hill. Fields would probably be amazing in that role for 10 or so snaps a game. But he's not an NFL starting QB that's going to throw it 30+ times and win games.

Tomlin's a very good coach. He got two mediocre QBs for peanuts. Good for him. He'll manage to squeeze 9 maybe 10 wins out of his team. Guess what? He got 10 wins from Rudolph, Trushitsky, and Pickett, not exactly a trio of HoFers. Poles' mistake was that he overplayed his hand and got next to nothing in return. The jury is still out on his abilities. For every good move he makes there's a corresponding bad one. But he needs to get the right QB in this draft whomever that is. No mistakes.

One last thing -- we will see how much the Steelers think of Fields. They have to pick up his 5th year option by May 2nd.
Only time will tell……
Old 03-17-2024, 02:52 AM   #73
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

On the other hand, the Steelers have now added a 9 time Pro Bowler and former first round selection to their QB room for essentially almost nothing.
This! Cheap way to upgrade. Brilliant move
Old 03-17-2024, 03:32 AM   #74
ElKabong

CJ Stroud is the aOSU QB that is actually a superstar. I'm no Texans fan but he was awesome in his ROOKIE year.

Have to feel sorry for the bears. The roller coaster ride is just ahead, Williams is a head case
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 03:46 AM   #75
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
CJ Stroud is the aOSU QB that is actually a superstar. I'm no Texans fan but he was awesome in his ROOKIE year.

Have to feel sorry for the bears. The roller coaster ride is just ahead, Williams is a head case
His dad asking for ownership in the team that drafts him has got to be a red flag…..