Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #61
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Playing from home? It is pretty darn easy to do. I do it in my boxer shorts most days.
You must not have spent much time in glorious NYC OTBs. The dregs of society,and ultra-seasoned citizens. Some more normal and younger types may have opened online accounts.

Myself I hardly go to the track itself, too much hassle. Living Room Downs is best for most times. I went to Monmouth once this summer and sat in a lot of traffic, the Free Parking is now $5. I just can access and process information easier a home.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #62
CincyHorseplayer

Speaking generally about most tracks they simply have no idea and/or concern for what the modern player needs for a solid ontrack experience. For me it's work space, vantage point for live racing, and simultaneously easy access to simulcast. At my home tracks of Belterra and Turfway, both have eliminated the best spots on track. Or simply rebuilt them out of the equation. Where is the insight by these people on these most basic issues?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #63
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Speaking generally about most tracks they simply have no idea and/or concern for what the modern player needs for a solid ontrack experience. For me it's work space, vantage point for live racing, and simultaneously easy access to simulcast. At my home tracks of Belterra and Turfway, both have eliminated the best spots on track. Or simply rebuilt them out of the equation. Where is the insight by these people on these most basic issues?
I think the best tracks combine both nice spectator areas for people who like to watch the horses with roomy desks and tables inside for bettors to spread out at.

The best I have ever seen was the late, lamented Hollywood Park. It delivered a great experience whether you were a young fan wanting to have a few drinks and watch the ponies on a Friday night, or a seasoned handicapper who wanted to spread out and bet and watch the action from 6 tracks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #64
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
+1
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #65
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
It seems that big changes are on the horizon for Belmont

http://qns.com/story/2017/07/31/they...-belmont-park/
The thing I don't understand about redeveloping the parking lots is that even though they are underutilized by the track (they often have cars stored there so they must be generating some income), what happens on Belmont Stakes day or Breeder's Cup day when they get huge crowds and parking tends to be a problem?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #66
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The last time I did it, I remember there was limited service to the station at the track. Something like 2 trains a day. If you didn't catch one there was a bus ride.

When I was a teenager I used to take Walter's Transit from Queens Blvd in Elmhurst to Belmont, catch the "get even" bus to Yonkers or Roosevelt after the races, and then take the bus from the harness track home. Now I'm barely willing to crawl out of bed to make a bet.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #67
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
When I was a teenager I used to take Walter's Transit from Queens Blvd in Elmhurst to Belmont, catch the "get even" bus to Yonkers or Roosevelt after the races, and then take the bus from the harness track home. Now I'm barely willing to crawl out of bed to make a bet.
Know the feeling!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #68
dilanesp

Quote:
The thing I don't understand about redeveloping the parking lots is that even though they are underutilized by the track (they often have cars stored there so they must be generating some income), what happens on Belmont Stakes day or Breeder's Cup day when they get huge crowds and parking tends to be a problem?
Most likely, they will have to increase reliance on public transportation and shuttles.

It's totally possible to pull off a Breeders' Cup or Triple Crown race without a lot of onsite parking. Churchill has the drill down pat. And Churchill doesn't have a LIRR station!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #69
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Re-developing the parking lots?
Well it is damn well about time!

I am sure I will betting a lot more there now knowing that 10% of their handle will have a nice lot to park in. Looks like NYRA is back on my FAVS List at Xpressbet!!!!!

(btw, what is it going to be, Cushion of Tepeta?)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #70
ronsmac

Quote:
I used to walk to forest hills subway station, take the E or the F to Parsons Blvd and catch a bus that took me to Belmont.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #71
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Coming up from Baltimore I used to cross the Verrazano bridge. If I remember right it was $14
No ez pass is $17. Don't forget the Goethals and Outerbridge. These are $15 cash , $12.50 ez pass. $27.50.
Unreal. This is what happens to the public when employees of the facilities are permitted to claim they work 80 to 100 hours per week and are being paid over $175k per year.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #72
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The problem with this argument is there are probably 10 million people Manhattan and on Long Island who can access the track either with cheappublic transportation or no bridge toll.
I am not making an argument. I am merely stating facts which MAY be a factor as to dwindling attendance.
Also, the traffic is terrible. From my home town in Bergen County it is 35 miles to Belmont.
It can take up to 2 hours to get there. Even on a Saturday.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #73
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Can I make a fair guess that you've never tried to take public transportation from anywhere in the NYC metropolitan area to Belmont? You might be able to get there cheaply with public transportation, but it's not exactly a convenient experience.
To complete this trek....I would drive 7 miles to Westwood, NJ. Take NJ transit to Hoboken. Take the PATH to Grand Central. Then Board an LIRR Train to Hempstead. Oh, I must also PAY to park my car at the train station.
its' cheaper and less time consuming to drive.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #74
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
You must not have spent much time in glorious NYC OTBs. The dregs of society,and ultra-seasoned citizens. Some more normal and younger types may have opened online accounts.

Myself I hardly go to the track itself, too much hassle. Living Room Downs is best for most times. I went to Monmouth once this summer and sat in a lot of traffic, the Free Parking is now $5. I just can access and process information easier a home.
NYC OTB. The only bookie that took a 5 percent rake on every bet and STILL went belly up
The whole thing was one big fat political patronage cesspool. There were top brass making $400k per year.
they ALL should have been thrown in prison