Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_412 View Post
You could have been more concise by stating that you're a SoCal fan with an inferiority complex and called it a day.
I don't have an inferiority complex. Santa Anita can still draw a crowd. We're better than NYRA at this
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You guys realize this is all basically a crock of BS, right?

But guys like Dilane jump on it like a fly to...well...you know...
So are you saying Belmont was filled with people that day?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #18
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Santa Anita can still draw a crowd.
How can they draw a crowd, when last meet, they couldn't draw a CARD for Thursdays??....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #19
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoday View Post
Went to Belmont 9-24 and it was sad. Still 130pm post arrived 1230pm and no one was there . The huge grandstand had no access to the upper floors which were closed Walked to the clubhouse no escalator had to use elevator very few people but for the day 2 employees manned the reserved seat $5.00 per seat even though not one person arrived . The paddock which is usually bustling had fewer than 15 patrons per race. The backyard picnic area was a ghost town No music no food and no human tellers only machines. The main grandstand area only had 2 or 3 human tellers except for an additional 2 tellers at $50 minimum windows . I have been going for over 30 years and I am at a loss
WHY WAS NO ONE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS
next time take pictures and post them
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #20
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
I don't have an inferiority complex. Santa Anita can still draw a crowd. We're better than NYRA at this
One of your better posts. It's great because your third sentence proves your first one to be totally untrue.

Don't ever change....please.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #21
classhandicapper

Quote:
I was there Saturday. Even though the grandstand was closed and the clubhouse was not particularly crowded, that can be deceptive unless you go out back on a nice day. The backyard had plenty of people. But no one would argue that Belmont gets good crowds. It's a gigantic facility with massively too much capacity except for 1 day a year. Personally, I can't comprehend it, but it is what it is.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-25-2017 at 11:41 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #22
castaway01

Quote:
It was a close to 90-degree day with the Giants playing at 1...why would you go to Belmont when you could bet from home and watch the game with a beer in hand too?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
It was a close to 90-degree day with the Giants playing at 1...why would you go to Belmont when you could bet from home and watch the game with a beer in hand too?
You could (and many have) say that about every major city in the US on a Sunday.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #24
MonmouthParkJoe

Many of you hit the nail on the head, Sundays in the fall are really impacted by football, especially when the Giants are on at 1pm (Let go Jets!) I have always thought there was a Saratoga hangover that happens over the first couple weeks of racing in the fall. Some just need a break.

As for the closing of areas, if the attendance is as sparse as you say it is, why would you open the entire facility and incur the overheard and staffing costs?

That being said, this Saturday is turf classic day. The following Saturday is JCGC day. Both days should be great.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
How can they draw a crowd, when last meet, they couldn't draw a CARD for Thursdays??....
If you want to trash California racing, that is a totally fair place to start.

(I joked about us being the trendsetter-- Belmont ran a shortened week earlier this month. )
Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #26
n.c

will not be a problem for Belmont, starting next week

crowds should be back.. Giants and Jets both mathematically out of the playoff pic, week 4 nfl season.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #27
aaron

I generally go to Belmont a few times a week. The reason it is basically an empty facility goes back to decisions made years ago.I agree, being located in a large metropolitan area it should draw more, but it is not going to happen. Horseracing is an off-track game. Most people who live more than an hour away are not going to attend. Admission,decent parking and programs are an expense, that most patrons do not want to pay. Also,the off track program sent into our computers and homes makes it very easy to not attend. In my opinion racing has made its off track program, far superior to its on track product.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #28
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Don’t you have to pay through the nose to cross a bridge to get to Belmont? I bet that doesn’t help.....between traffic, tolls etc....playing from Home has to be preferred
yes...I used to live in northern NJ..
For ez pass holders these are the prices.
For the George Washington Bridge which gets you across the Hudson into Manhattan( Cross Bronx Expressway) the peak time toll is $9.
This collected one way.
Now, to get to Long Island where Belmont is located, one must also cross the East River. The toll to use those crossings is $5.76 . This collected EACH way.
now, for those poor slobs who have disdained the ez pass ,,it gets better.( worse)..The GWB is FOURTEEN bucks...The MTA bridges colect $8.50 EACH WAY!
so with the ez pass discount. one still is in the hole TWENTY bucks...This is before they pay to park, gas, program and or Form....
Suffice to say, if one lives in NJ, Upstate NY or CT, they are out Thirty dollars before they sit down to start handicapping the races.
if I lived up there, I'd be betting from home. I would go on very rare occasions.
And I used to LIVE at Belmont. Especially during the fall Champ Meet.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #29
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c View Post
crowds should be back.. Giants and Jets both mathematically out of the playoff pic, week 4 nfl season.
Please do not get me started on the Giants.
Coach Deer in the Headlights HAS GOT TO GO.....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Please do not get me started on the Giants.
Coach Deer in the Headlights HAS GOT TO GO.....
Any kid that has played Madden for a few years (and is good at it) is a better coach than that guy.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply