Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 10-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #46
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
I have owned Berkshire-Hathaway and other companies with no dividend for years. This theme wasn't about dividends, I just added that concerning MO. My original theme was that MO has been beat up with the vaping news, and I did state its financials make me suspicious. Thanks for RGLD recommendation.
Royal has under 20 full time employees. they are a royalty company that participates when the price of gold goes up, but still gets paid if the price drops. there are other companies very similar, but this is by far the best one and the best one in the gold complex right now.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #47
FakeNameChanged

Meituan Dianping(Contrarian?)

Okay I know investing in a Chinese company by anyone on this board probably isn't going to resonate too much. MD is the third largest tech company in China behind Alibaba and Tencent. While this company is primary a fundamental play with good technicals right now, I mention it on the contrarian thread because of the country it represents. I made a small investment last week, and may add if the revenues continue to grow at a record pace.

As to China as an investment, with 1.3 billion people and potential customers for MD, from an investment view, they are hard for me to ignore. MD surpassed Baidu in market cap with Bidu at $35 Billion, vs. $54.8 billion for MD. Their business covers a phone super App for Food delivery, Travel, Movie tickets, Restaurant reservations & Ride Hailing. In our country, that takes a half-dozen apps and companies to accomplish. They aready have 400 million active users in China with 1.3 billion base to go after. They have already taken market share from Alibaba on Food delivery. If you're not familiar with Alibaba, they are China's version of Amazon.

Anyone who has followed Facebook and Amazon, knows they didn't make any money for 5 years or longer, which is pretty typical for tech startups. The first 4 years, Meituan Dianping also didn't make any money, but in their last quarter, they reported making a suprise profit of $124 million, which is something Amzn or FB never did that early on. They also have a Current Ratio above 2.20 which is great for a new tech company. Anything above 1.0 is considered good.

So what are potential negatives? First of all, like VW years ago, they only trade on the US market OTC. VW was OTC here and the largest automaker in the world. They now been eclipsed by Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. Being OTC, their liquidity is low, but if their revenues stay on a 50% growth rate, the number of shares should rise as well. I'm not listing the actual symbol, so this isn't a recommendation to buy, which it isn't. Before this, my only Chinese market exposure has been BABA, other than US companies like KFC and McDonalds who have a large presence in China.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #48
FakeNameChanged

Deutsche Bank-repeat

I'm considering a small play on DB after all their negative press, which was justified as to money laundering and who knows what else. Oh yeah, the b_ _ tards loaned money to Trump, how dare they. Have to get some more information on understanding their financials first. Any of you ex-bank execs want to share your thoughts, it would be appreciated. Their almost 2 year long slide is troubling, and doesn't fit my normal MO.

Quote:
Up 15.7% in the 8 days since posting this. Tighten stops.
Got off this last month, am considering re-entering what looks like a bottom again. Chart is a roller coaster.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #49
FakeNameChanged

MO-redux

Quote:
Somewhat interesting to me, while the S&P500 has declined sharply over the last 2+ weeks, Altria(MO) has held steady and risen slightly. If the market reverts back to its long term uptrend, then MO looks to have hit bottom, sporting an 8% dividend.
Above quote was on 10/5-MO has been on a tear since then.
$MO http://schrts.co/jEhnpabB

MO - Altria Group Inc.
SharpChart from StockCharts.com
stockcharts.com
Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #50
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Okay I know investing in a Chinese company by anyone on this board probably isn't going to resonate too much. MD is the third largest tech company in China behind Alibaba and Tencent. While this company is primary a fundamental play with good technicals right now, I mention it on the contrarian thread because of the country it represents. I made a small investment last week, and may add if the revenues continue to grow at a record pace.

As to China as an investment, with 1.3 billion people and potential customers for MD, from an investment view, they are hard for me to ignore. MD surpassed Baidu in market cap with Bidu at $35 Billion, vs. $54.8 billion for MD. Their business covers a phone super App for Food delivery, Travel, Movie tickets, Restaurant reservations & Ride Hailing. In our country, that takes a half-dozen apps and companies to accomplish. They aready have 400 million active users in China with 1.3 billion base to go after. They have already taken market share from Alibaba on Food delivery. If you're not familiar with Alibaba, they are China's version of Amazon.

Anyone who has followed Facebook and Amazon, knows they didn't make any money for 5 years or longer, which is pretty typical for tech startups. The first 4 years, Meituan Dianping also didn't make any money, but in their last quarter, they reported making a suprise profit of $124 million, which is something Amzn or FB never did that early on. They also have a Current Ratio above 2.20 which is great for a new tech company. Anything above 1.0 is considered good.

So what are potential negatives? First of all, like VW years ago, they only trade on the US market OTC. VW was OTC here and the largest automaker in the world. They now been eclipsed by Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. Being OTC, their liquidity is low, but if their revenues stay on a 50% growth rate, the number of shares should rise as well. I'm not listing the actual symbol, so this isn't a recommendation to buy, which it isn't. Before this, my only Chinese market exposure has been BABA, other than US companies like KFC and McDonalds who have a large presence in China.
This Chinese upstart is up 40% since Labor Day and over 15% since I posted in early October. It may be partly due to Alibaba (BABA) debuting on the Hong Kong market, pulling it along on its coat-tails. Not sure how they can sell that stock for 22.50 USD when it costs 198.00 here. With the current unrest in HK, it took b_lls to debut there this week.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 11-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #51
FakeNameChanged

Altria update-MO

Quote:
Somewhat interesting to me, while the S&P500 has declined sharply over the last 2+ weeks, Altria(MO) has held steady and risen slightly. If the market reverts back to its long term uptrend, then MO looks to have hit bottom, sporting an 8% dividend.
Up 21+% since 10/5 quote. Contrarians "heart" bad news.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #52
lamboguy

Quote:
Up 21+% since 10/5 quote. Contrarians "heart" bad news.
always the case in this game.

a friend of mine is all in on MO. they pay a huge dividend. i suspect the reason for the rise is that smoking dope is close to becoming federally and that should benefit that company.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #53
FakeNameChanged

Ford

Quote:
Almost can't believe I typed the name Ford as a possible contrarian play. Fundamentals are not good for this company, especially their debt ratios. But along with their reliable truck models, I'm reading some interesting things about their all electric SUV that should hit the market next year.
Nice article about selling out on its new Mustang E-car a year ahead of production. 300 mile range, 0-60 in mid 3 seconds(not that it matters to me at this point) and able to get 47 miles of range on a 10 minute charge. As a retired person, who does mostly local driving, this is something I may look at, having driven one of their hybrids over a weekend trip.

I'd like to see F get over its 50 day EMA consistently, before thinking about a buy.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #54
FakeNameChanged

Boeing

On the contrarian theme of companies getting rocked by bad news or events, Boeing Aerospace may be the Mother of all Contrarian plays. These companies are to be avoided if they involve cooking the books(accounting) or faking drug test results by pharmacies.

The grounding of the 737 has impacted the company severely, as it probably should. Now today their Starliner astronaut capsule failed a test flight. Yahoo named Boeing, the worst company of the year, not sure why Yahoo is taking shots at any other company. I still believe this to be a good company. I would like to see some more downside before venturing into this company. Since just about everyone on Wall street has BA downgraded, they are probably not at their bottom yet.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #55
FakeNameChanged

Meituan Dianping

Quote:
This Chinese upstart is up 40% since Labor Day and over 15% since I posted in early October. It may be partly due to Alibaba (BABA) debuting on the Hong Kong market, pulling it along on its coat-tails. Not sure how they can sell that stock for 22.50 USD when it costs 198.00 here. With the current unrest in HK, it took b_lls to debut there this week.
This Chinese tech company is up 24% since I posted originally in early October on volume averaging 1.0 M shares 3 of the last 4 days. Up 52% since Labor Day. Since Labor day, that is about 1% better than AAPL.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #56
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post

I'm in NVAX as a purely speculative play with some house money, hoping they develop an RSV vaccine and/or get bought out.
Fate has stepped in with this coronavirus thing, sending all vaccine company stocks higher. NVAX may be in line for some funding to develop a vaccine. Moreover, it should be announcing its results of the nanoflu vaccine trial any day now. RSV is on hold and needs funding for another trial.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #57
Valuist

Speaking of the Coronavirus, I see both Steris and Pfizer benefitting. Pfizer is the owner of Purell, and one sees Steris or Purell dispensors seemingly everywhere. Pfizer obviously has other products, but a solid 4% yield and a low PE. Feels relatively low risk.

Last edited by Valuist; 01-31-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #58
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post

Fate has stepped in with this coronavirus thing, sending all vaccine company stocks higher. NVAX may be in line for some funding to develop a vaccine. Moreover, it should be announcing its results of the nanoflu vaccine trial any day now. RSV is on hold and needs funding for another trial.
th

Looks like it's trying to break out off a double bottom. Fox News (Cavuto) gave it good publicity over the weekend, but the nanoflu trial news is the key to whether I get my $ back or not.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #59
ultracapper

This is an impressive thread. None of the contributors have just flapped their jaws. Every post has been made with confidence and conviction. Whether the post was positive, negative, or laced with uncertainty, all the posts are made in a manner that makes the reader feel as if something has been learned.

Thank you.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #60
Ocala Mike

Apropos of the coronavirus scare and the ensuing meltdown on Wall Street, I am sitting on some shares of NVAX in hopes that they will soon announce positive Phase 3 trial results for their nanoflu vaccine for older patients. Could be the last time this stock will be in single digits (I hope). Possible coronavirus vaccine development and government grants a bonus. Don't get hurt if you buy in..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: