Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #16
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I promise to still like you even after the smarty-pants retort.
Not taking that chance. Some things are more important than internet debates.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
my question is going to be a simple one, why didn't they just not pay the people that bet after the bell. they CLAIM to have a time stamp on every bet! ON MY ADW ACCOUNTS, EVERY BET HAS A RECORDED TIME. and I am sure your ADW does too.
We may be lucky they even figured out that betting occurred after the start.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #18
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
And then there's TODAY'S (Wed 08-18-2021) R6 at TDN

In TODAY'S (Wed 08-18-2021) R6 at TDN there appears to be bad workout data for #8 Ready To Charm.

Listing workouts and races in reverse chronological order this is what I see:

Raced-- 18Aug21 TDN R6 (Today)
Raced-- 09Aug21 TDN R4
Worked- 02Aug21 TDN 5f 63.40 ft B 4/5
Worked- 26Jul21 SAR 4f 48.49 ft B 3/41
Raced-- 22Jul21 TDN R5
Worked *20Jul21 SAR 4f 47.47 ft B 1/51

Did the horse really have a workout at SAR on July 20th 2021? And then ship back to Ohio for a race two days later at TDN? And then ship back to SAR for another work? And then ship back to Ohio again?

-jp

Old 08-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #19
The_Turf_Monster

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but workouts are self reported by the connections iirc
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #20
Jeff P

I reached out to HDW where I get my data who in turn reached out to Equibase.

A few minutes ago I received an email from Equibase which read in part "The workouts are entered by the clocker at the track" and went on to say they would be reaching out to the clocker at Saratoga in an effort to get things cleared up.

Stay tuned...

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-18-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #21
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I reached out to HDW where I get my data who in turn reached out to Equibase.

A few minutes ago I received an email from Equibase which read in part "The workouts are entered by the clocker at the track" and went on to say they would be reaching out to the clocker at Saratoga in an effort to get things cleared up.

Stay tuned...

-jp

There is a 2yo named Ready For Charm that is stabled and running at Saratoga. My hunch is that when reporting the work for trainer used the wrong name in error or the clocker misheard the name.
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #22
Jeff P

Thanks Tony,

That makes sense.

I'll pass that on to Equibase and see where it leads.

-jp

Old 08-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Thanks Tony,

That makes sense.

I'll pass that on to Equibase and see where it leads.

-jp

This mistake often results from the official clocker hastily choosing the wrong name from a drop-down option, of sorts, and then neglecting to proof his hand-written sheet against the printout. I've seen it many times.

Perfect accuracy is critical to the performance of any racing official. Some develop or possess the knack, while those lacking what I term 'hard eyes'-the ability, that is, to spot miscues of any sort at a mere glance-should carefully double-check their work.

I never STOP reminding my crew that little errors frequently carry big consequences when you work as a racing official.

A language barrier, by the way, also can engender this specific mistake, but in a manner unrelated to typos.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-18-2021 at 11:55 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2021, 01:37 AM   #24
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
This mistake often results from the official clocker hastily choosing the wrong name from a drop-down option, of sorts, and then neglecting to proof his hand-written sheet against the printout. I've seen it many times.
Few more classic than 20 years of data which always insisted that the legendary Andre Fabre had for some reason raced and won with an Alberta-bred debuter in a $1000 maiden race in Saskatchewan.

The actual culprit was most likely Andrea Gabbard.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #25
Jeff P

Re: posts 18-23 above --

This morning I received an email from Equibase that reads in part:

"The workouts have now been corrected. The Saratoga ones indeed belong to Ready For Charm instead of Ready To Charm."

-jp

Old 08-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #26
ranchwest

Regarding the original post, I was watching on YouTube. The screen went mostly black for several minutes after the race. I would be interested to know of the relationship between the failure to close wagering and the video difficulties.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #27
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Surprised nobody has brought this one up. Race was run without much incident. After it took quite a while as bettors waited in limbo, then were told it was declared a no contest due to technical difficulties.

Turns out those difficulties were the betting windows not being closed until well into the race, 54 seconds I think I saw.
I remember Hollywood Park back in the 70's. I was on the second floor of the clubhouse (I think) on a quiet day. There was a $10 window open at the end of the closed other windows. I had made a $10 bet to win after which the only other bettor went to the window. He talked with the teller and looked back at the TV over his shoulder. He said something like "OK, when I say hit it, start punching tickets on the 10 to win". These were the Pincay days and he was on the 10 in a sprint which I remember for some reason.

The gate opened and the 10 broke on top. The guy said "Hit it!" to the teller. Tickets started flying out. At the same time, I heard banging noises coming from the far end of the closed windows and each bang got closer and closer to the $10 window. The tickets kept coming out until the $10 window got "banged" after several seconds. The bettor paid the teller, leaving one of the tickets for a tip, and walked away with a handful of winning tickers. Yes, the 10 did win.

I don't know what kind of electromechanical technology they had back then but if there was a way to exploit it, somebody did.

Last edited by Augenj; 08-19-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #28
MJC922

I didn't miss many days at my local track for about a 15 year timespan. I only saw the windows left open twice. Usually precisely when the gate pops a loud bell goes off at the betting windows, then the machines lock. In these two instances the gate popped and no bell went off, and if you were in the vicinity of the windows it was obvious because we're so wired as late bettors to know the bell means they're off at that point, shut out, but here you're like, wait a minute, they're off, hmm, now what's wrong with this picture?

I remember the SAM machines were available the second time this happened. I didn't bother to put the voucher in and start punching triples though. Just figured it would be timestamped and I'd get caught. Betting for a living you definitely don't want to be kicked out of this holy place for theft. lol

Mechanically I don't know how that cutoff works. I'd always assumed the starter hitting the button to pop the gate was tied into this because it was very reliable over the years but maybe it isn't directly wired up that way.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-19-2021 at 03:00 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #29
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I didn't miss many days at my local track for about a 15 year timespan. I only saw the windows left open twice. Usually precisely when the gate pops a loud bell goes off at the betting windows, then the machines lock. In these two instances the gate popped and no bell went off, and if you were in the vicinity of the windows it was obvious because we're so wired as late bettors to know the bell means they're off at that point, shut out, but here you're like, wait a minute, they're off, hmm, now what's wrong with this picture?

I remember the SAM machines were available the second time this happened. I didn't bother to put the voucher in and start punching triples though. Just figured it would be timestamped and I'd get caught. Betting for a living you definitely don't want to be kicked out of this holy place for theft. lol

Mechanically I don't know how that cutoff works, I had always figured the starter hitting the button to pop the gate was tied into this because it was very reliable over the years but maybe it isn't directly wired up that way.
I believe the stewards control the stop wagering function.
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #30
jameegray1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Usually precisely when the gate pops a loud bell goes off at the betting windows, then the machines lock. In these two instances the gate popped and no bell went off, and if you were in the vicinity of the windows it was obvious because we're so wired as late bettors to know the bell means they're off at that point, shut out, but here you're like, wait a minute, they're off, hmm, now what's wrong with this picture?
So this is why on some tracks there is still a bell rung as the gates open? eg Woodbine or Monmouth. I've often wondered the history behind this. Makes sense now.
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply