Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > BREEDERS' CUP 2014 > Day 2 - Saturday, November 1, 2014

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

BrCup - the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Good:
>>>i managed to toss out several hyped Euros at underlaid odds that didn't perform...Moonlight Cloud-Shareta-Sky Lantern-Fame And Glory-Ridasiyna
>>>one very strong opinion on Macho Man in the Classic and managing to catch the EX & TRI and bail my sorry ass out for the wknd

The Bad:
>>> i ignored a few Euros at nice prices that did perform (even when proven good players on this board and others were very high on them)...
Flotilla-George Vancouver...but i rarely listen to anyone anyway when it comes to picking horses. It is a solitary endeavor for me.
>>> just not enough winners - can't tell you how many times i ran 2nd/3rd but missed the winner at good odds (Sprint-Marathon-Turf-Dirt Mile-Filly & Mare Turf)

The Ugly:
>>>sitting on a very nice Grassy/Atigun exacta with a good win bet on Grassy and getting run over by Calidoscopio in the Marathon
>>>a big bet on Dreaming Of Julia in the Juvy Fillies and seeing her not be able to catch the top two girls
>>>using The Lumber Guy one way in the sprint (on top - a big ex/tri play)and seeing him chase Trinni in vain. Only one i used on top of TLG was Jimmy Creed and he didn't run well at all. Trinni was a major pace player on a speed kind SA track but i relegated him to 2nd and 3rd status...dummy.

Care to share your Good, Bad, and Ugly?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
MickJ26

I only made one bet (Royal Delta to win) so, technically, I came out ahead. I eschewed/boycotted this year's Cup for wagering purposes.
The Good: Royal Delta, Little Mike, Shanghai Bobby, Ramon Dominguez
The Bad: Game on Dude, Questing, most of the Euros, Alpha
The Ugly: Bob Baffert and most of the California contingent.

Side note: NBC's coverage was quite good, except for the annoyingly out of place Michelle Beadle. Laffit Pincay and Gary Stevens both earned A++. Nice to hear a Breeder's Cup WITHOUT Todd Schrupp.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
classhandicapper

I had a great BC.

I caught every Euro that won over the two days, avoided all the short priced ones that lost, passed a few races I would have lost had I got involved, watched a couple (like Royal Delta, Wise Dan) and wrapped up with Fort Larned.

My only mistake was not using Trinniberg.

I upgraded his chances because of his likely trip and the way the track was playing, but there were a few other things in the race I was interested in and I was having a tough time structuring a bet without going too deep. So I wound up passing the race and an exacta that should have been easy for me given my opinions. Sometimes your biggest mistakes are mistakes of omission.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good - Trinniberg

Bad - The further illustration of how polytrack may be denying us really good horses

Ugly - Dullihan, not Doolihan! Got that right!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
salty
undefined

good- the exacta and tri in the classic

the bad - missing the late pick four on saturday because i singled the 1 in the first leg then hit the next three on a 1x2x2x3 ticket for a buck

the ugly- shackleford, who i thought was underperforming due to wet tracks
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Good- Fort Larned and his well deserving connections. Bob Baffert getting blanked. Wise Dan further padding his impressive resume and Dale Romans winning another big race on a big day.

Bad- Having to read redboards for the next few days by people who NEVER give a pre race opinion.

Ugly- The overall performance of a lot of the Euro jocks. Other than Ryan Moore on George Vancouver and Christophe Lemaire on Flotilla it was one bad trip after another.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Mailman

Good / Having 2 days of betting the BC.
Bad/ Lost both days.
Ugly/ After many years of betting, you would think i would LEARN how to best constuct my exotic bets. Macho Man still stings!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I'm really looking for a self-critique in this thread...who did you discount that came back to bite your ass ?
Who did you put in the right spot?

My biggest lament is that i didn't hit any longshot winners...i get one just about every year (Musical Romance, Shared Account, Better Talk Now, Pleasant Home, Thor's Echo, Anees) that make my wknd for me.
Tried with a few this year and whiffed badly, like Kittens Point and a few in the Turf Sprint

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 11-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
nijinski

It was great to see Animal Kingdom's huge effort despite some bad racing luck . Hope he stays healthy and we get to see him in 2013 .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
It was great to see Animal Kingdom's huge effort despite some bad racing luck . Hope he stays healthy and we get to see him in 2013 .
I'll echo that......he really surprised me coming back that strong.
Cost me some exactas and trifectas (left out the Euros), but good for them.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Cholly

For day with that much fun, I've got to go good/better/best:

Good: Europe 1, West Coast 1, East Coast 6, Baffert 0

Better: I watched from home on the MAC, alternating between the Twinspires feed and Breederscup.com. The video got wonky on occasion, but overall it worked great. I thoroughly enjoyed the commentary (HRTV?), but especially Migliore—he’s got the combo of substantive insider analysis and entertaining delivery.

Best: The whole friggin’ day: Awesome Awesome Awesome!! One great race after another. Wise Dan gave a performance for the decades, and John Velzquez proved me wrong when I said he should stick with Animal Kingdom. But that one did turn in a heroic run to showcase an amazing job of training by Motion…plus kudos to Barry Irwin for having the brass to reach for the gold. AND…and they saved the best for last. Even though my favorite horse (MMM) ran 2nd, it was a thriller to watch that race and stretch drive! And then to followed that up with the great footage of the Wilkes crew watching, pleading, and then celebrating. Champions duking it out for ten-furlongs on the DIRT—that’s as good as it gets!

P.S. If I had gone the bad/worse route, my handicapping would have made the list. But when a sharpie like Steve Crist blows $5,000 on the pick6 and comes up with just 3 winners...I'll give myself a pass for the day.

P.P.S. Post of the day (if not the year) from everyone’s favorite grouch, Tom. As Game on Dude started running backwards but before the race was even over, he posted “Chantal just spiked a beer can!”
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ironic that on such a speed favoring track, neither Shackleford or GOD got out of the gate.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Scrambler

Good......... Good to see Animal Kingdom Race, He wins with a Clean Trip, and Racing on a Speed Favoring Track... GREAT Race ANIMAL KINGDOM

Bad.......... CRAPPY CRAPPY Polytrack... So So Hard on Horses..

Ugly.......... Seeing the GREAT Mare QUESTING was worried for her...

As Always Play Safe and Good Luck Friends....

I Work With Horses With People Problems.....
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler
Bad.......... CRAPPY CRAPPY Polytrack... So So Hard on Horses..
Ummmm....you might want to revise that one...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Bad- Having to read redboards for the next few days by people who NEVER give a pre race opinion.
Is it still reboarding if you tell your opinions to a couple of people privately before the race (so they could be verified)?

I never quite understood the issue people have with red boarding. You either find a person's statements trustworthy or you don't. As long as you aren't buying picks from them, who cares if they are FOS.

The way I usually tell is by how willing they are to talk about their losers and how consistent their reasoning is for their supposed winners.