Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Pace Advantage Toga Party Part XII

Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #46
Mailman

Bubbles
Was just looking at the Saratogion website, you have a blog going and a daily video for the feature race, very impressive! You looked comfortable in front of the camera.!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #47
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A reporter?
Cameras?
At Toga????

Bubbs, remember, what happens at Toga, stays at Toga!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #48
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Hey Andrew, another very nice piece today

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2...3805551680.txt

As an exacta player. I love horses like you are discussing for the most important spot on the ticket, second place only.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #49
Bubbles
Frontrunner

Thanks Al! Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it; not so much fun when two "professional maidens" won Sunday, though!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #50
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
Thanks Al! Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it; not so much fun when two "professional maidens" won Sunday, though!
Congrats on the column. Thanks to the 'net, I've been reading The Saratogian year 'round for years.

With regard to "Professional Maidens," they tend to win in races where the rest of the field is even worse, not because they suddenly become "Brides."

― Thomas Sowell
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #51
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Congrats on the column. Thanks to the 'net, I've been reading The Saratogian year 'round for years.

With regard to "Professional Maidens," they tend to win in races where the rest of the field is even worse, not because they suddenly become "Brides."
Yep and if you aren't getting a big whopping price on them then it simply isn't worth the play. Frankly I'd be hard pressed to even play one then. They only pop up in those "by definition" races like badcompany says. By definition, someone's got to win. And when I say that to myself, I'd rather sit out the race. Lotto pays better in such cases....
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #52
Bubbles
Frontrunner

On the professional maidens note: Al, I hope you had the exacta in the eighth. If you played the 'all' over Tiz Yankee, who's now 0-for-9 with seven seconds, you were rewarded with a $162 exacta in a seven-entry field.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #53
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
On the professional maidens note: Al, I hope you had the exacta in the eighth. If you played the 'all' over Tiz Yankee, who's now 0-for-9 with seven seconds, you were rewarded with a $162 exacta in a seven-entry field.
I never play all in an exacta. Didn't look at the race, so couldn't say what I would have had. But can tell you a horse I see that is 0-8 with 6 seconds is going to be played in the #2 slot with no questions asked. That is the perfect exacta horse.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Made it back this morning, though the weather is going to be pretty bad today. Not so bad right now, though did hit some heavy rain on the way up (not nearly as bad as the ill conceived decision to take the Van Wyck) but all the way up the radio stations were talking about very severe storms this afternoon. Kinda tired anyway, so just grabbed a form for tomorrow and see what we can do then.

Looks like it may be a little rainy til Sunday, but nowhere like today. Hoping it calms down a bit tonight. Wouldn't mind going over, having a little chicken and watching Andy Serling's show. Looking forward to the Jim Dandy as well. Liked Alpha since I saw him here last year, so hoping he can have a solid rebound. I know he isn't great but it's fun to have one to cheer for.

Was going to try to do some work but can't log in remotely. Thinking it's some sort of external setting on the server. Will need to write my tech people. A nap may be the best medicine!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Made it back this morning, though the weather is going to be pretty bad today. Not so bad right now, though did hit some heavy rain on the way up (not nearly as bad as the ill conceived decision to take the Van Wyck) but all the way up the radio stations were talking about very severe storms this afternoon. Kinda tired anyway, so just grabbed a form for tomorrow and see what we can do then.

Looks like it may be a little rainy til Sunday, but nowhere like today. Hoping it calms down a bit tonight. Wouldn't mind going over, having a little chicken and watching Andy Serling's show. Looking forward to the Jim Dandy as well. Liked Alpha since I saw him here last year, so hoping he can have a solid rebound. I know he isn't great but it's fun to have one to cheer for.

Was going to try to do some work but can't log in remotely. Thinking it's some sort of external setting on the server. Will need to write my tech people. A nap may be the best medicine!
AL,iTS MID CARD AND ALL IS WELL WITH THE WEATHER. SO FAR.....
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
AL,iTS MID CARD AND ALL IS WELL WITH THE WEATHER. SO FAR.....
Think they might get it in. The combination of tired from the drive, haven't looked at a single race, and it looks like rain just had "keep your wallet in your pocket" written all over it. Been working sadly enough. Have it on TV though . A horse with one of the greatest names ever, Beer is Good, faded into second at the last. He will be good in my book though!

Have looked at tomorrow's card and have 2 exacta plays and...ready for this.....may play the late P4. Think 2-2-5-2,9 as top choices. See what happens with the weather between then and now though. Like that 2 in the finally on a soggy turf as a nice price.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #57
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

The rain never really came. A light sprinkle but nothing more. Hoping to stay on the turf tomorrow if I do play the P4.

Wasn't going to dinner tonight and then got an invite. A return to Mouzon House. The food seemed much better than the previous trip there in variety and was quite happy with my selections. Had the quail gumbo for starters. This is a gumbo made with quail, venision and boar rather than the more familiar seafood based dish. Had a good zing to it though was a bit suprised as the quail was served whole. Was easy to break up though. Main course was paparadelle with tomato, white bean and crispy prosciutto. A very "peasanty" dish so not strong in flavor, but solid. Got it in contrast to the gumbo as having an ettouffe or jambalaya after is overkill. Had a bite of bannanas foster to finish up. Not my favorite desert but tasty. All around much better than the last visit, though the service still isn't great. Not sure the hostess can manage 2 tasks at once. House still looks nice though. We ate on the 2nd floor porch, which, even though I usually hate eating outside, was pretty nice. Price isn't bad either. Dinner for 4 was only about $150.

No going to catch Andy this week, but will before the meet is over. Never have gone to the actual Hatties, so if a good show isn't enough incentive, that should be. Late post tomorrow, 2:30, so a little extra sleep will be nice. See if I can get my meet off to a good start!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #58
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

7:30 AM. Raining now. Looks like it's steady and going to last a while.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #59
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

8:30 and still raining. At least first post isn't til 2:30 so a little extra time to clear up. If it isn't a sloppy mess on the main and they stay on the turf late, these are my planned plays:

4: (1+7) exacta box. Got to beat 2 Pletchers and 1 D Wayne to do this, but that's how you get payoffs in these races up here. These two look just as good as those and will have a better price

8: 4+5/1+4+5 exacta. Top two are on the improve and the 1 likely hits the board. Hate the better known names in this.

If they stay on the grass and it's in decent shape will play a very simple P4

6: 2//4,8
7: 2//9
8:5//4
9:2,9//

If you've played in the Aqueduct inner, you know how I structure these things, but essentially the ones to the left of the // are the As and to the right the Bs. Will play a 4A ($2) ticket, the 3 1A3AB ($1) tickets (No Bs in 9th). And never forget the idiot ticket, the 4B ($1), or in this case 3B1A ticket. Looks like a $40 play.

Of course if it keeps raining, a day at the museum will be better spent.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #60
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

And it's still raining at 11:50 though it's slowed a bit. The P4 is in the trashcan now. Probably will still go ahead with the two exactas depending on how price is affected by any scratches.