Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 07-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
rispa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...only Romancer was a contender according to the "Red-Scan Qualifying technique". Here are the 3 horses in question...along with their "representative" running lines, and Beyer figures:

Diablo's Caper.........1(2.5) 1(1.0) 1(hd) 2(.50) 62

Romancer...............6(9.0) 7(6.0) 8(7.5 ) 8(9.5) 39

Battle Cat...............3(3.0) 2(3.0) 2(hd) 2(.50) 67

And in his "wagering plan" for the race...Lehane ELIMINATES Diablo's Caper and Battle Cat, not just from win-consideration...but from his exacta and trifecta bets as well. According to the "Red Scan Qualifying technique"...Romancer is the much better horse.

I agree with you, I never got that wagering strategy either. Hey, take a look at the trainer for Romancer. You would never get that price today.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
rispa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
He used to have a newsletter that was a one topic weekly thing. You would get links to a couple of DRF PPS and the text. Came on Friday. They were all up on his website, but alsa, the link has stopped working.

He did contribute a lot to the old PaceFigures website.

The few times I conversed with him via E-mail I found him to be very helpful, always willing to take the time. I believe he developed something called the 'Pace/Pace' approach which he posted quite regularly for New York on pacefigures.com. A 'good guy' in my opinion.

Last edited by rispa; 07-31-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Omission of something
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
He used to have a newsletter that was a one topic weekly thing. You would get links to a couple of DRF PPS and the text. Came on Friday. They were all up on his website, but alsa, the link has stopped working.

He did contribute a lot to the old PaceFigures website.
Here are some links that might work:

Handicapping Tips
Newsletters 99-00
Newsletters 02-05

Last edited by headhawg; 07-31-2018 at 03:23 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Those are the links!
Thanks, wonder why mine stopped working?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispa View Post
The few times I conversed with him via E-mail I found him to be very helpful, always willing to take the time. I believe he developed something called the 'Pace/Pace' approach which he posted quite regularly for New York on pacefigures.com. A 'good guy' in my opinion.
Pace/Pace - good approach!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #21
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Those are the links!
Thanks, wonder why mine stopped working?
Those links point to the Wayback Machine Internet Archive, not the original site. Jim's site is gone but the Archive stores many old pages for posterity. It's a great resource.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #22
coachv30

Just got a response today...

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

About a month ago I shut down my 2 websites; thus no book sales.

Regards,
-Jim
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
lefty359

Got it.

I have Calibration Handicapping by Jim Lehane.
I would need $40 USA for it.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
Ted Craven

Calibration Handicapping now in the Public Domain

Hello Folks, I've worked with Jim Lehane a bit over the years (adapted some of his 'moves' to markups in RDSS PP displays). I sent him an email yesterday. He wrote me back today, granting permission to put the PDF version of his Calibration Handicapping in the public domain and available for free download from the Sartin Methodology Library.

Quote:
Hi Ted,

You have my permission to put my PDF of the book in the public domain.

Maybe some of the players in PaceAdvantage would like the PDF in lieu of the book.

Regards,
-Jim
Here is the link:http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7100

A reminder - this work remains copyright by Jim Lehane (I have no personal ownership of it).

Thanks Jim for your contribution to educating horse players over the years. We appreciate your generosity!

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 08-07-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #25
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Hello Folks, I've worked with Jim Lehane a bit over the years (adapted some of his 'moves' to markups in RDSS PP displays). I sent him an email yesterday. He wrote me back today, granting permission to put the PDF version of his Calibration Handicapping in the public domain and available for free download from the Sartin Methodology Library.

Here is the link:http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7100

A reminder - this work remains copyright by Jim Lehane (I have no personal ownership of it).

Thanks Jim for your contribution to educating horse players over the years. We appreciate your generosity!

Ted
Thanks!!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #26
Floyd

Thanks for this! I bought a copy from Jim years ago, but lost it somewhere in the meantime. This makes my day.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
Ted Craven

Calibration Handicapping - Updated

I have updated the Calibration Handicapping document to a version which now includes all Daily Racing Form PPs, which were missing from the initial PDF I posted. Some may wish to re-download. Thanks to Jim Lehane for providing me a fresh paper copy to scan, and to other P&C members for generous assistance.

Again, here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7100

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #28
Vinnie

Mr. Jim Lehane is an awesome guy and an excellent handicapper IMHO...

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
FakeNameChanged

Red Scan Technique

In honor of Jim Lehane's Red Scan Qual. Technique, I thought a little RED Boarding from last night at CT would be appropriate. Since Ted shared the pdf for Calibration Handicapping, I scanned some of Jim's angles. Whether you agree with his idea that running on the turn and gaining lengths in last two races is valid or not, I thought it worth a look. I didn't go searching for races who qualified, I made an evening visit at the OTB and played a few at Penn and CT.
In Race 3-CT-6.5f-Clm 5000

Meet the Genius 7/2 ML-Qual. l.race gained gained 1-1/2+ L's on turn
he also qualified in prev. race with 1 L gained on turn. LR 22 days

Cory's Cutie-10/1 ML-Qual l.r. gained 1 L in last race on turn, although 6.5 bl's back after gain? 21 days ago

Mochkla Mochkla 10/1 ML- Qual lr. gained 4 L's on turn. and also gained 1.25 L's on turn in prev. race. last race 7 days ago. In both cases he was 1 BL and 3 BL's back after his gains on turn.

No other qualifiers on turn, two other horses gained in stretch but 8.25 and 10 lengths back after the gain.
Since this is a Red Scan/Red Board, won paying 12.20 -6.60
Placed 5.40, Exacta paid 90.40

Race 4-CT-1-1/16M-MSW-23K

Stock Broker-20/1 ML- Qual LR gained 3.5 L's on turn-21 days ago.

Great Road-15-1 ML-Qual LR gained 3.25 in stretch and also 2.75 L's in stretch in previous race-13 days ago.

Mini Bolt 5/2 ML-Qual. lr gained 4.5 L's lr on turn and also gained 2.5 L's on turn in prev. race. Looks to one of two fav.s and trounced in last race by 6.75 lengths. 21 days
Using the last race comparison method, it looks like Mini Bolt and Sunbridled at 1/1 both trounced in last two races.
Results: won and paid 59.20-25.00-7.00
place at 44.5-1 and paid 28.80-10.40
showed at even money paying 2.20
ran 5th at 9/2. Exacta 4/2 paid 801.20
both the top two didn't look like they belonged, going up in class from MC10k to a MSW.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #30
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
In honor of Jim Lehane's Red Scan Qual. Technique, I thought a little RED Boarding from last night at CT would be appropriate. Since Ted shared the pdf for Calibration Handicapping, I scanned some of Jim's angles. Whether you agree with his idea that running on the turn and gaining lengths in last two races is valid or not, I thought it worth a look. I didn't go searching for races who qualified, I made an evening visit at the OTB and played a few at Penn and CT.
In Race 3-CT-6.5f-Clm 5000

Meet the Genius 7/2 ML-Qual. l.race gained gained 1-1/2+ L's on turn
he also qualified in prev. race with 1 L gained on turn. LR 22 days

Cory's Cutie-10/1 ML-Qual l.r. gained 1 L in last race on turn, although 6.5 bl's back after gain? 21 days ago

Mochkla Mochkla 10/1 ML- Qual lr. gained 4 L's on turn. and also gained 1.25 L's on turn in prev. race. last race 7 days ago. In both cases he was 1 BL and 3 BL's back after his gains on turn.

No other qualifiers on turn, two other horses gained in stretch but 8.25 and 10 lengths back after the gain.
Since this is a Red Scan/Red Board, won paying 12.20 -6.60
Placed 5.40, Exacta paid 90.40

Race 4-CT-1-1/16M-MSW-23K

Stock Broker-20/1 ML- Qual LR gained 3.5 L's on turn-21 days ago.

Great Road-15-1 ML-Qual LR gained 3.25 in stretch and also 2.75 L's in stretch in previous race-13 days ago.

Mini Bolt 5/2 ML-Qual. lr gained 4.5 L's lr on turn and also gained 2.5 L's on turn in prev. race. Looks to one of two fav.s and trounced in last race by 6.75 lengths. 21 days
Using the last race comparison method, it looks like Mini Bolt and Sunbridled at 1/1 both trounced in last two races.
Results: won and paid 59.20-25.00-7.00
place at 44.5-1 and paid 28.80-10.40
showed at even money paying 2.20
ran 5th at 9/2. Exacta 4/2 paid 801.20
both the top two didn't look like they belonged, going up in class from MC10k to a MSW.
What most horse bettors seem to forget is that 'even a broken clock is right twice a day'. For what you are saying here to gain some value, you will need to provide a relative large sample and do so before the race. Using a couple of occurrences after the race is over is BOTH USELESS AND DECEIVING.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: