Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

One giant joke....

Pataki Proposal Would Speed Up NYRA Bidding Process
The bidding process for the three-track franchise held by the New York Racing Association would be sharply accelerated and NYRA would come under new oversight by the state government under measures being pushed by Gov. George Pataki. Blood-Horse

Quote:
In the final hours of the New York legislature's 2005 session, a whole series of racing bills are being debated behind closed doors at the state Capitol, including a Pataki proposal to move to July 1 from Dec. 1 the date for the appointment of a nine-member panel charged with beginning the NYRA franchise bidding process.

Word of the possible deals came Wednesday as Pataki sharply lashed out at NYRA's operations, and said he is looking for "significant additional oversight of NYRA.'' Asked if he envisioned NYRA continuing its franchise to run Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga racetracks, Pataki said, "Not as its currently operating.''

"Obviously, I'm as distressed as everyone else by the failure of NYRA to repeatedly respond to audits or judicial requirements to take certain actions,'' Pataki said. He noted that, despite perceptions, New York state does not control NYRA. "If we did, it would be operating very differently,'' he said. The governor earlier this year proposed for the second year in a row the creation of a state entity that would have broad powers to oversee the operations of NYRA. Coupled with it would be the elimination of the Thoroughbred Capital Investment Fund. The new entity could even step in and take over NYRA's operations if for some reason NYRA did not complete its franchise terms.
Just what NY racing needs...more state oversight and control!!!

The funniest part of this ENTIRE JOKE, is that, despite ALL the criticism being lobbed NYRA's way by the turds in Albany, NOT A SINGLE one of these bastards has criticized the racing product. And yet, they want to get rid of NYRA SO very badly. I wonder why?

NYRA is in the business of running a racetrack....not one critic has criticized the racing product put out day in and day out, but they are falling all over themselves to replace NYRA ASAP....

I don't see groups of owners or trainers banding together to criticize NYRA either....only the aholes in Albany maneuvering in the best way possible to reward their cronies with slot money.

It's a f'n joke. A sad joke...but a joke nonetheless....

OK NYRA bashers, I guess it's time to let loose on me in this thread...try and work in a dig at D. Wayne Lukas if at all possible as well, that's always welcome....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

The bidding process for the three-track franchise held by the New York Racing Association would be sharply accelerated and NYRA would come under new oversight by the state government under measures being pushed by Gov. George Pataki.

PA not meaning to be naive,but does this mean anyone with $$$$$$$ ?Ala Frankie S.?
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It doesn't sound to me like Frank S. can afford it right now...although he did get a favorable ruling recently regarding slots in Florida, so maybe he can scrape up some cash off of that....
Old 06-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
karlskorner

PA

I don't think any of us can comprehend a billionaire, one thousand millions, and he is worth 10 fold if not more, his recent set backs are just pocket change. The recent slots approval by a local judge in Broward County are far from a done deal, it's being rushed to appeal. George W's little brother Jeb, ( THE GOV. ) is fighting it tooth and nail.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He may be a billionaire, but he's running a publicly traded company that's losing lots of money.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Bobby

I read somewhere that the CD might sell Hollywood is to pad their cash reserves to bid for NYRA.

If the bidding goes to the highest bidder (which is kinda questionable sometimes with the all the "families" involved), then I say CDI wins.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
fouroneone

Uggggh........

Churchill downs with its ugly on screen graphics running the NYRA Simulcast signal and circuit????

Does that mean 8 dollar grandstand admission as well?
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Interesting that Bay Meadows has emerged as a candidate to obtain Hollywood Park.

Bay Meadows Bids for Hollywood
Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Is BM doing that well that they can go and buy Hollywood Park? A very intereting turn of events.

And Bobby may have hit the nail on the head regarding Churchill Downs selling Hollywood and buying NYRA....

I see Churchill as the clear leader in the bidding for NYRA -- UNLESS -- Stronach and State Senator Joe Bruno's son (who works for Stronach as a lobbyist in NY for Magna) have wormed their way so deep into the muck that is NY politics, that it's already a done deal, and Magna gets it no matter if the Sun and the Moon have to be mortgaged off to make ends meet....
Old 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
Skanoochies

Karlscorner, imagine a billionaire from Brittain, over there its a million million.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
Dr. Carter

Does anyone think that the state itself hasn't thought about taking over and making the "new"NYRA a real live state agency?
Dr. Carter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
karlskorner

PA

I repeat none of us can comprehend the word Billionaire, his company may be losing lots of money in our minds, to him and his company, pocket change. My first contact with the word Billionaire was "Daddy Warbucks" from the comic strip Little Orphan Annie. What a great word BILLIONAIRE.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
GeTydOn

No, of course not. Now why would the state want to do that??
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Dr. Carter

Think of all the political patronage jobs that would be available? Whenever there was a budget crisis, just take money from NYbred purses. The possibilities are endless.
Dr. Carter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Pataki is a political hack who is as incompetant as the day is long. He is a total ffailrue as a goveneor and now he is branching our to share is ineptitude with racing. His state is a disgrace and he continues to do nothing about it.

The only way he could drive more businesses out of NY faster could be to make the Thruway free.