Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #616
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
A-Rod? Come on.

Machado is a better player than Beltran and Texeira. If either were offered in a trade straight up for Manny, Yanks GM would be laughed out of the room. I know Manny has had injury issues, but it isn't like those two are Cal Ripken-esque either.
Tex defensively is a solid player, Arod can still help win a few games, thats a pretty easy statement to make based on who filled in for him while he sat out his suspension. Tanaka pitched well until getting his first injury of his career, you can't tell me when he is healthy he doesn't tower over any O's or Red Sox pitchers. Beltran was doing well until he hit the wall making a catch he too will put up numbers if he stays healthy. Your player Machado will be fine and he is a good solid player. Both teams are evenly matched as long as no one has health issues, O's beat up on NY this year 13-4.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #617
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Well the O's should have Machado back, huge addition if he can stay healthy. Weiters too, though he may be a free agent, and Chris Davis. Should be a good year, but the Yankees don't scare me. Guess we'll see what happens during Hot Stove.
Does that even exist anymore? With football being a twelve month sport and the NBA close behind not too many people actually pay attention to it anymore. Football is still going strong into February when most of the above average players will be gobbled up. The NBA is in full swing even the casual fan starts watching after the Super Bowl.

Basketball will be hotly debated here and on other boards while baseball will get minimal mention.

My two cents think more players will take teams up on the qualifying offer rather than being in a situation like Stephen Drew. That will make it a snoozefest this off season if it happens.

Having said all of this if someone came up to me when I was twelve and said "this is what I predict" he would have been a candidate for the looney farm if it was up to me.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #618
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Neither of those players will make as big an impact as CC and Tanaka and Beltran and a healthy Teixiera will make for the Yankees. Add Arod back into the mix to get a few reps at 1st base as well as Prado and I'm sure the yankees will go into the free agent market and pick up a good solid shortstop as well as a 2nd baseman. Orioles will be good and land the wildcard but it wouldn't surprise me if the Yanks got the wildcard and the O's win the division again. Pitchers and catchers report in 121 days!
Beltran will turn 38 in April, his best days are behind him. Teixiera will be 35 in April, may have a couple of decent years left, but, again, his best years are behind him. A-Rod turns 40 in July, plus been out of action for a year. I wouldn't place my hopes of a post season appearance on these 3. Tanaka, at 26, will be very good for a while, barring injury. CC still has a few good years ahead of him at age 34, 35 in July. All in all, Yankees are going to have to get some help from somewhere, or endure another season much like this one. JMHO.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #619
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
Beltran will turn 38 in April, his best days are behind him. Teixiera will be 35 in April, may have a couple of decent years left, but, again, his best years are behind him. A-Rod turns 40 in July, plus been out of action for a year. I wouldn't place my hopes of a post season appearance on these 3. Tanaka, at 26, will be very good for a while, barring injury. CC still has a few good years ahead of him at age 34, 35 in July. All in all, Yankees are going to have to get some help from somewhere, or endure another season much like this one. JMHO.
The Yankees finished 5 games behind the KC Royals(2nd wildcard) while being the most injury plagued team in the major leagues in 2014. A Rod can still play the game even on a limited basis, Beltran was doing fine until he hurt his elbow, had surgery and can be a positive for a somewhat limited run production line-up . CC is a question mark but with Pineda and Tanaka coming back along with Greene and McCarthy the pitching will be deep. Nova is a question mark. Tex will add to the offensive mix also on a limited basis as A Rod will get some playing time at first base. The question marks are 2nd and short . McCann needs to get his offensive game on track. Add Ellsbury, Gardner and Prado into that mix and the Yanks will be back in 2015.

Last edited by onefast99; 10-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #620
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I've been too busy to watch any games, except taping Sportcenter at night. I have never seen a team come to such a screeching halt as the Orioles did.

It's a brutal end to the season that showed so much promise.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #621
Valuist

I don't understand why the Orioles keep messing with Kevin Gausman. Gausman arguably has a better arm than any of the starters in their rotation; but they keep messing with him. Put him in the bullpen, send him to minors, only to bring him back.

A couple years ago the O's had a guy with a great arm but things just never worked out....until he was traded away. Now Jake Arrieta is one of the best pitchers in the National League. I wonder what would happen if the O's just gave Gausman the ball every 5th game.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #622
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Orioles pitching overall will be fine.

In need of a serious upgrade when it comes to hitting. Not good when you do not have enough offense to win games where your starter gives up 3 or less runs.

GM is unfortunately always looking to acquire on the cheap. It is going to get even uglier when they lose Davis and Wieters to free agency.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #623
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
Orioles pitching overall will be fine.

In need of a serious upgrade when it comes to hitting. Not good when you do not have enough offense to win games where your starter gives up 3 or less runs.

GM is unfortunately always looking to acquire on the cheap. It is going to get even uglier when they lose Davis and Wieters to free agency.
They keep getting players that strike out too damn much. I'm sick of those guys. It is home run or nothing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #624
horses4courses

Wade Miley

O's pitcher Wade Miley is a hit in San Francisco - with the Giant's commentators.
They can't recall seeing a pitcher working faster - zero time wasting.
Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow love that - especially on "get away" days.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #625
Valuist

HUGE win for Baltimore today. Trailing 7-1 entering the 7th inning, they come away with a 8-7 win. And a very demoralizing loss for the Giants, who've seen their lead mostly evaporate in the NL West.

Never underestimate a Showalter team.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #626
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
HUGE win for Baltimore today. Trailing 7-1 entering the 7th inning, they come away with a 8-7 win. And a very demoralizing loss for the Giants, who've seen their lead mostly evaporate in the NL West.

Never underestimate a Showalter team.
Those birds were hitting the cover off that ball in the last few innings.
Haven't seen slugging like that since the days of Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #627
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Those birds were hitting the cover off that ball in the last few innings.
Haven't seen slugging like that since the days of Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire.
PEDs? Juiced ball? A bit of both? In fairness to Baltimore, HRs are up all over the league.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #628
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
PEDs? Juiced ball? A bit of both? In fairness to Baltimore, HRs are up all over the league.
The Orioles are stacked with home run or strike out guys...no surprise they are hitting a ton of bombs.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #629
Valuist

AT & T is not an easy park to go deep. Casilla just needed to one thing: don't hang a breaking ball. He did and Schoop connected and I think the ball just landed.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #630
Valuist

15,000 fans for a game in late August against Toronto? I was surprised to see that. It's not as if the team has dropped out of contention. This isn't the Rays or the A's.

Last edited by Valuist; 08-30-2016 at 12:01 PM.