Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-06-2024, 08:18 PM   #1
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
What happened to our once great companies?

Apparently the passengers had no idea it wasn't just a window.

Feds order grounding of 100-plus Boeing 737-9 Max jetliners worldwide after plane blew out midflight over Oregon:
https://www.opb.org/article/2024/01/...s-over-oregon/

Quote:
Boeing faces new scrutiny about the safety of its best-selling plane after federal officials announced the temporary grounding of Boeing 737-9 Max planes on Saturday, following a harrowing flight in which an Alaska Airlines jetliner was left with a gaping hole in its side midair over Portland, Oregon, Friday evening.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it was requiring immediate inspections of Max 9 planes operated by U.S. airlines or flown in the United States by foreign carriers.

The FAA’s emergency order, which it said will affect about 171 planes worldwide, is the latest blow to Boeing over the Max lineup of jets, which were involved in two deadly crashes shortly after their debut.

Disney can't make movies, at least not ones people want to see.

Apparently, Boeing can't make airplanes.

This was a new 737 that rolled off the assembly line about two months ago.

For the time being all 737's have been grounded as a result of this incident.

To be fair, this shouldn't reflect badly on the current employees at Boeing.

737's started dropping out of the sky some time ago.

What happened to our once great companies?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-06-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2024, 08:21 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Once the majority of people wake up in this country and realize the gigantic mistakes that were made (or more accurately, the intentional acts that were ignored or rationalized), it will be too late to save this sinking ship...it will have already sunk.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:34 PM   #3
davew

Hey, only two thirds of the country do not like DEI ... the rest don't mind the occasional flaws that come with it because they are part of it.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 10:46 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Manufacturing defects in airliners!
OMG that's a firts!
Must be "them" at work!

This thread sounds like a CNN story, setting the table to blame trump.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:04 PM   #5
davew

many CEOs have changed their focus - now on share price and CEO compensation

government interference with free trade also hinders innovation

FedEx trade policy page
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/trade.html
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 12:43 PM   #6
lamboguy

as bad as things are made here, they are made worse in China.

how about buying faucets at the Home Depot. they are made of plastic inside. they are sold for 25% less than the plumbing supply houses sell, same brand, but the plumbing supply sells them made of metal. that's the way things are all over the place.

they actually make goods to sell on the Black Friday. they are made cheaper just to fool you into bucking the garbage. i like going to Costco to buy appliances even and other electrical goods because they stand by their merchandise with a very liberal return policy. you get less headaches in that place.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

They sold their souls to foreign cheap labor
Old 01-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

how about buying faucets at the Home Depot. they are made of plastic inside. they are sold for 25% less than the plumbing supply houses sell, same brand, but the plumbing supply sells them made of metal. that's the way things are all over the place.

they actually make goods to sell on the Black Friday. they are made cheaper just to fool you into bucking the garbage. i like going to Costco to buy appliances even and other electrical goods because they stand by their merchandise with a very liberal return policy. you get less headaches in that place.

Don't blame China. As someone with some knowledge of manufacturing in China, had a friend who worked for a company that sold and did onsite service of test equipment to China, they also outsourced some tool and die work to China. Go to machine shops or manufacturers that charge 50-60%
on the USA dollar which they did with their tool and die work, you get pretty good quality, what defects they did receive were easily fixed. If you go to a place that charges 5-10% on the USA dollar you can get junk even on simple to produce products. That friends company did that on simple parts and paid employees to sort them, even throwing out 50-75% they figure they were saving money over paying for 100% quality.

Moral of the story that Chinese junk is due to consumers shopping by price and not quality and companies catering to people who cannot realize paying more for a better product is cheaper in the long run.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 07:14 PM   #9
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
They sold their souls to foreign cheap labor
People do not live forever, often people start and build company's when they are 25 to 30 years old. By the time retirement comes around for that industrialist who built the company very few retain the 51 % in stocks needed to set the navigation and now institutional money has greater than 51 % of stock that the board of directors must adhere to. Big company's eat up little company's and a whole host of things happen along the way to becoming a billion dollar company. Shareholders either gain or lose but boards of directors perform for the shareholders. This is how capitalism effects company's and has generated more generational wealth for shareholders than any other system on earth. Low cost locations are a reality when multinational company's swallow smaller company's.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 07:44 PM   #10
xtb

Old 01-07-2024, 10:28 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

Funny you bring that up. I own exactly one rental property. I rent it to one of my managers. It’s a new build (about 1.5 yrs old)

About ten days ago he hears a loud “pop” in the middle of the night. Instantly hears water running. First floor floods and they had to turn water off outside at the meter. 3 inches of water on the first floor.

The main water line that comes into the house (pex) has a valve on it coming into the utility room (where it enters the home) they couldn’t shut off the water because it was coming from that shut off.

It’s friggin plastic. It didn’t freeze, who knows why it “popped” Got my plumber (works on my restaurant etc) out there in the morning he replaced it with a brass valve like the old days.

Huge pain in the ass……..see pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7398.jpg (304.7 KB, 18 views)
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 11:07 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Funny you bring that up. I own exactly one rental property. I rent it to one of my managers. It’s a new build (about 1.5 yrs old)

About ten days ago he hears a loud “pop” in the middle of the night. Instantly hears water running. First floor floods and they had to turn water off outside at the meter. 3 inches of water on the first floor.

The main water line that comes into the house (pex) has a valve on it coming into the utility room (where it enters the home) they couldn’t shut off the water because it was coming from that shut off.

It’s friggin plastic. It didn’t freeze, who knows why it “popped” Got my plumber (works on my restaurant etc) out there in the morning he replaced it with a brass valve like the old days.

Huge pain in the ass……..see pic

Who the hell put that in? I am not trying to raise concern, but,.............
With Pex fittings there is a big difference between the quality of the made in USA Sharkbite brand and the Chinese. Even those two stainless steel crimp bands you see in the picture. The Chinese ones are of a slightly different configuration and are not as easy to get a nice quality crimp. Even the Chinese brass ferrule fittings don't have the quality of Sharkbite brand.

As for that valve, whenever you can like your plumber did always use a brass 1/4 turn shut off.

I am about 75% done with a re-plumb including the plumbing to the well. Replacing copper with Pex as acid well water ate the copper pipes. Home Depot and Lowes mixed all the Pex fittings and fasteners together and charged the same. I went to multiple stores and picked through them to get Sharkbite, that was a major PITA but worth it. A plumbing contractor
can just order from a supply house, I am sure there the Chinese crap is much cheaper than the made in USA Sharkbite.

You did say Texas is lax on building codes, I could not imagine a plastic shut off valve being to code inside a house.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:14 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Do I see rust on the crimp band to the left? The Sharkbites are made out of 300 series stainless steel, you can tell if it is 300 series stainless as it is not magnetic. Chinese stainless steel is low grade and does have impurities that can cause rust spots.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:05 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post

Chinese crap, while you can get somewhat decent quality out of China if you pay for it, their low end is a lot lower than ours. The reason is the people that run the low end shit factories employee children and people that come from villages that have no modern conveniences, they have zero modern skills. From what I have have seen from some of the work the workers are afraid and try to hide their mistakes. I have seen holes that had broken taps sticking out of them, the person who did that very well knew what they did.

Another funny thing about stupid consumers, at the time I was forced to buy

vehicle alternators from China as most customers were unwilling to pay an extra $250 for a domestic upgrade that came with a better warranty. I was selling them as the secondary alternator for a dual alternator kit. The recession of 2008 killed off my limousine building customers never to return to this day.

Anyway at the time there were only two factories in China that made alternators. Both produced similar variable quality. All the alternators sold at the time pretty much came from those two factories, unless you bought one from an automobile dealership parts department. It is probably pretty much the same today.

I hate selling, I hired a salesman, he was on car forms and showed me some of the posts. Pure comedy, as people would argue, as an example whether the Duralast alternator from Autozone was better quality than the Carquest alternator from Advance Auto Parts. They all had opinions on which was better, both came from the same factory made under the same specs. Often different branding is put on similar products.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:33 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So what parts from China failed on this airplane?