Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-03-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
tbwinner

Mice/rodents

I got a stubborn mouse or two. Thankfully in my garage only though it is attached to the house so I want to get rid of before further problems.

Last year when car was in for service, the cabin air filter compartment was full of dog food and rodent droppings. Cleaned it out and set a rodent deterrent spray. We now keep the dog food in an airtight sealed box.

Getting cold again and noticed activity and back in the car again. Set various traps and glue boards throughout garage. Baited with peanut butter. The MFer is getting the bait off without triggering the traps. It's mind boggling. Got a live trap box and electric shock box too. Nothing. Leaving car outside for now too.

What else can I do? I've been avoiding poison because I don't want it coming into the house somehow and dying. But maybe that's what it'll take?
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
You don't want poison.

I'm assuming you have a dog because you mentioned dog food.

The last thing you want is your dog somehow chomping down on a poisoned rodent.

A guy in my neighborhood who lives a few blocks away hired an exterminator for a gopher problem back in September.

He later mentioned he found some dead blackbirds in his yard.

A day or two after that I was doing an early morning run past his house. He lives uphill from me. I do that route once a week because of the slight elevation change.

I stopped in my tracks after spotting a dead hawk on the edge of his lawn beneath a massive white oak in his front yard next to the sidewalk.

I sent him a text and continued on my run.

Saw him a day or two later and he said the pest control co. had injected strychnine pellets into the ground at various points in his yard.

He told me never again.

Because of the dead birds in his yard.

They don't have a dog. But they have a couple of cats.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 12-03-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
tbwinner

good point Jeff. I do watch my dogs when I let them out in the yard but don't want to take that risk as they'd be quick to get at a carcass. I imagine they might be coming under the deck and shed area in backyard too.

I will just have to keep trying with traps and different setups. I've scoured the Internet and most of my research shows I'm doing the right thing. I have an electrical conduit from the garage to the house that has a gap I need to fill in with spray foam to avoid any unwanted entrances. Just very frustrating!!
Old 12-03-2023, 09:49 PM   #4
OntheRail

Small light mouse I'd guess. Take some chalk line string or some butcher string... wrap/tie it to the trigger then add the peanut butter. In the have a heart trap put the peanut butter on bread and stick it to the roof above the trip plate so it has to stand on it. Either one will have mickey in a day or two.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:23 PM   #5
davew

Irish spring bar soap repulses them (to keep out of car).

You probably want to kill them. There are stick 'em pads (Tomcat glue traps is an example) that they walk on and can't get off. Then you pick it up and throw it in garbage.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
MargieRose

"Glue" anything used to kill an animal is downright brutal. Find another way.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 10:47 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Get a cat.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 11:04 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Usually every mouse you see, or know about, there's 3x or 7x or what have you.

When you wake up to a dead mouse in that trap don't throw out the trap.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:17 PM   #9
jimmyb

They hate real peppermint oil. It worked for me, put some on cotton balls. Amazon sells a brand called Ola Prima. Just dont buy the stuff sold off a supermarket shelf. Its not the same.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 06:46 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
I got a stubborn mouse or two. Thankfully in my garage only though it is attached to the house so I want to get rid of before further problems.

Last year when car was in for service, the cabin air filter compartment was full of dog food and rodent droppings. Cleaned it out and set a rodent deterrent spray. We now keep the dog food in an airtight sealed box.

Getting cold again and noticed activity and back in the car again. Set various traps and glue boards throughout garage. Baited with peanut butter. The MFer is getting the bait off without triggering the traps. It's mind boggling. Got a live trap box and electric shock box too. Nothing. Leaving car outside for now too.

What else can I do? I've been avoiding poison because I don't want it coming into the house somehow and dying. But maybe that's what it'll take?
Get ready for a surprise, but comprehensive car insurance will pay for this! (The car issue itself, that is.)

(Ask me how I know. LOL)
(Except for me it was cat urine back in 1992 in my brand new Dodge Stealth.)

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 12-04-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 07:23 AM   #11
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Small light mouse I'd guess. Take some chalk line string or some butcher string... wrap/tie it to the trigger then add the peanut butter. In the have a heart trap put the peanut butter on bread and stick it to the roof above the trip plate so it has to stand on it. Either one will have mickey in a day or two.
Good idea I'll give this a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
They hate real peppermint oil. It worked for me, put some on cotton balls. Amazon sells a brand called Ola Prima. Just dont buy the stuff sold off a supermarket shelf. Its not the same.
Yes I read about peppermint oil. Ordered some and will give that a try too.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:24 AM   #12
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Get a cat.
Have an indoor cat but shes useless. Maybe though that's why they're staying out of the house. If nothing else works I would seriously get an outdoor cat to control if this issue is persistent.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #13
Marshall Bennett

I had a huge problem years back in my old home. I had a large wood-pile under my back deck for the fireplace. Most of it wasn't used and began rotting. Mice nested and you could see them running in the yard it got so bad. I tried cheap methods, their population only grew. Finally paid an exterminator to tackle them. He laid small poison bricks around and on the pile. Within a week they were gone. Best part is they generally go off and die away from the home. The guy told me if you have a major issue, poison is truly the only solution. Of course if the pile had been a distance from the house I could had simply burned it.
Anyway, good luck!
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 08:33 AM   #14
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Get ready for a surprise, but comprehensive car insurance will pay for this! (The car issue itself, that is.)

(Ask me how I know. LOL)
(Except for me it was cat urine back in 1992 in my brand new Dodge Stealth.)
Same here! In 1991 a cat got in my Cutlass and pissed in it. I tried everything to clean it but eventually had to cut out a portion of the carpeting. The smell was unbearable.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Same here! In 1991 a cat got in my Cutlass and pissed in it. I tried everything to clean it but eventually had to cut out a portion of the carpeting. The smell was unbearable.
For me, it was one of my cats being chased by a wild manx. She jumped up on the car and let go directly into the defroster vent!

The insurance company paid to have the dealer do everything one step at a time.

After they'd spent $3k+ over the course of almost a year , they said, "We're done."

They literally replaced everything in the ventilation system except the actual air conditioner. Every bet of ducting.

Really couldn't blame them.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply