Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Poll: Do you/have you used Doordash/GrubHub/food delivery apps?
Poll Options
Do you/have you used Doordash/GrubHub/food delivery apps?

Old 02-14-2024, 01:46 PM   #16
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
If I go get my once a month or so fast food I start eating the fries before I make it out of the parking lot.
My wife does that when getting MY order....
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Arby's Crinkle Fries........top shelf!!
Old 02-14-2024, 02:32 PM   #18
Inner Dirt

Jack in a Box seasoned curly fries were my favorite, unfortunately instead of 3 miles away like the one was in Riverside Ca, the nearest one is 300 miles away in North Carolina, there are zero in Virginia. I probably last had some passing through OKC. They have the only drive thru you can tow a large trailer through.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2024, 03:13 PM   #19
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I flew back from Florida recently and ordered a Lyft and I was amazed at how the airport has setup an entire terminal underground parking garage for Uber/Lyft. It’s like a huge bus stop with park benches etc and it stays busy I’m told. It was rocking in the afternoon when I was there.

Yes lots of airports have done this because of necessity - these services have grown so much.

See, I understand, like, and have used Uber Lyft as they have cut into the cab companies strangleholds. LAS is a great example - cabs are $28+tip flat rate to Wynn whereas you can get a ride share for $15, 20 with tip. As you're coming out of the gates you can check the wait time and if it's too long just hop in a cab for times sake.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2024, 03:14 PM   #20
tbwinner

Over a decade ago when living in Chicago, I used delivery.com a few times for restaurant orders. Always good stuff, quick and hot. I think the difference is the deliveries were run by the actual restaurant employees so they maybe cared a bit more??
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2024, 03:43 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Over a decade ago when living in Chicago, I used delivery.com a few times for restaurant orders. Always good stuff, quick and hot. I think the difference is the deliveries were run by the actual restaurant employees so they maybe cared a bit more??
Right on target. But restaurant companies had to give it up due to insurance rates.

If I wanted to do deliveries I would have to pay a huge increase in insurance and cover all the drivers etc

Pizza shops get around it by telling their drivers to not let their insurance people know, and hiring them technically as contractors
Old 02-14-2024, 04:32 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Right on target. But restaurant companies had to give it up due to insurance rates.

If I wanted to do deliveries I would have to pay a huge increase in insurance and cover all the drivers etc

Pizza shops get around it by telling their drivers to not let their insurance people know, and hiring them technically as contractors

Is it Texas or have things changed? My money is on things have changed.

I was an hourly employee who punched a clock in California who used my own van to make deliveries once a week. The other 4 days I had a dirty job of mixing and cutting raw rubber for press molding. All kinds of nasty crap goes in rubber, the black color was basically dumping fire place soot in the mixer.
I was just paid I.R.S. mileage rate on a check separate from my pay check.
This was like 45 years ago.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:08 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just got a nice warm beef on weck. Mmmmmmm.
Took 21 minutes from "Place Order" to "ding dong!"
Old 02-14-2024, 05:46 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

This reminds me of a story. My employee backed into an inside sales person's car at the metal yard in the company truck. I was crapping bricks thinking my insurance rates would go through the roof for letting an 18 year old drive the company truck and causing an accident. I figured if it wasn't too bad I would not use the insurance and settle with her in cash. My employee claimed it was not that bad and the car was an old low value POS. I called the lady and told her to get estimates and I would come and pay her in cash. She calls with this ridiculous amount of like $5,000 for what amounts to a crushed hood and some small damage on the top of both fenders, as I did a drive by as the car was still drive able and she drove it to work. I also looked up the make and model value. I forgot if it was a Ford Probe or Saturn, it had a value of around $1,000.

I made an in person visit and said since her car has little value it is considered totaled and I am only liable for replacement cost. I told her I would give her a generous offer of $2500 in cash that I pulled from my pocket and tossed on her desk. I told her to take it, and sign off on a document I had written that she was paid in full. She refused and demanded my insurance information. She accused me of lying about her car would be called a total. I said if it goes through insurance she will have $1,000 and no car, I am offering $2500 and she keeps the drive able car.

The story does not end well for her, the insurance company offered her $1200 and to keep the car. They also said since I was a customer with multiple policies who never made a claim in 15 years they would not raise my rates. She was even was dumb enough to contact a lawyer, which I heard through co workers. She was told what I told her and she was not in the car when it was hit. She had the nerve to tell me she decided to take the $2500. I never laughed so hard at someone on the phone in my life. That did spell the end of using them as a vendor, the employees sympathetic to her started treat me and my employees like trash. I got put on hold a lot and my drivers were the last ones served. They had multiple locations, I should have called corporate and complained.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:52 PM   #25
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Specifically talking from restaurants here not groceries or liquor

I don't GET it. What's the appeal of paying 2x already high prices to receive likely lukewarm or cold food?

Are people really that lazy? Are people really that stupid? Do people really need McDonalds delivered to them?

(I do understand the elderly and disabled may have benefit from these services so do understand it could be useful to them)
one day we ordered a pizza, garlic knots, a half dozen wings, and a cannoli through grub hub. It was $76. Showed up without a knock. We called and asked where it was. They said it was delivered 20 minutes ago. Thanks a$$holes. Then to top it off, the credit card we used made several fraudulent purchases the next day. First and last time.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
one day we ordered a pizza, garlic knots, a half dozen wings, and a cannoli through grub hub. It was $76. Showed up without a knock. We called and asked where it was. They said it was delivered 20 minutes ago. Thanks a$$holes. Then to top it off, the credit card we used made several fraudulent purchases the next day. First and last time.
We had a local Doordasher who was delivering and asking for “credit card verifications” when he delivered. He had a scanner. He would just swipe the card, tell the customer “it matched” and say goodnight.

Weeks later he would start using the card……he was flipping it over and getting the 3 digit code too……..

It took them a while to figure out what the victims had in common and track it all down. By that time he had fled the state.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:44 PM   #27
horses4courses

Quote:
We had a local Doordasher who was delivering and asking for “credit card verifications” when he delivered. He had a scanner. He would just swipe the card, tell the customer “it matched” and say goodnight.

Weeks later he would start using the card……he was flipping it over and getting the 3 digit code too……..

It took them a while to figure out what the victims had in common and track it all down. By that time he had fled the state.
Shocking
I guess that must be happening all over?
Maybe not.......

What is factual is that drivers are largely being paid $6.20/hour.
Imagine that....damn liberals want to treat them like human beings.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 12:03 AM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Shocking
Maybe not.......

That's why you should tip them generously...

You realize the stingier your tip, the longer you're gonna wait for your food because nobody wants to pick your job up...they all see the tip...lol
Old 02-15-2024, 09:02 AM   #29
davew

with fuel and electricity going up, it costs a bit to drive 10 minutes to food place, wait 10 minutes to get food and 10 minute return.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 10:29 AM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Shocking
Maybe not.......

WE want to treat them what they are worth.
You want to make more money, provide a service worth more.
You commie hump.