Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-10-2024, 07:24 AM   #106
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You are a complete fucking idiot, you are talking again where you know nothing, are you ready for the definition of RDI.

What is Disposable Personal Income? After-tax income. The amount that U.S. residents have left to spend or save after paying taxes is important not just to individuals but to the whole economy. The formula is simple: personal income minus personal current taxes.

That is from bea.gov. I have a few more Bidenomic bullshit you posted to ask you about to follow. You just constantly embarrass yourself with your stupidity. So funny you don't even feel embarrassed.
Seriously. And he won't respond to this

The definition of economic disposable personal income is NOT what a layman thinks of disposable income...did you not stop to think of people really have FIFTY THOUSAND in extra funds to spend on restaurants???!!! That postal pension must be nice!!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 07:27 AM   #107
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Let’s discuss this chart in more detail.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A229RX0

You will observe a large spike beginning March of 2020, culminating March 2021. Followed by a steep decline through August 2021. Neither the spike nor the decline had anything to do with any economic policies.

The increase in real disposable personal income was solely the result of the fact that people had nothing to spend money on. Restaurants were closed, movie theaters were closed. There were no sporting events, no concerts. You could not go dancing. In addition prices plummeted. Gas prices dropped because no one was driving. NOT BECAUSE OF TRUMP.

Similarly, RDI started falling when businesses began to reopen and people began living their lives again.

The point of all this is you can’t compare the current RDI under Biden with the RDI during the pandemic. That is a unique case which has nothing to do with reality.

The truth is even the lowest RDI under Biden is very close to the highest pre pandemic RDI under Trump.

As posted by Inner Dirt, you're wrong.

It is amazing that you can perform the mental gymnastics to attempt to massage the numbers to fit your narrative.

Real America is worse off....and has been under D and R leadership for the past 20+ years. It's not a TRUMP or BIDEN thing, it's the continued pilferage of the middle class.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:41 AM   #108
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Math, not for democrats.
Don't try this at home, you'll put your out.

Onluy an idiot would defend bidenomics.
Even the dems are running from it.

What does a blooming idiot have for breakfast?

Wll. mostie had eggs, Dick had corn flakes......
Old 01-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #109
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Math, not for democrats.

I think all Democrats are bad at math or they would be gasping at all the proposed spending from this administration. Every time I hear a billion dollars

I think that is around $3 for every person in the USA, a trillion is $3,000. I don't think any Democrat voters think like that.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #110
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post

The definition of economic disposable personal income is NOT what a layman thinks of disposable income...did you not stop to think of people really have FIFTY THOUSAND in extra funds to spend on restaurants???!!! That postal pension must be nice!!

The wording is misleading, obviously with the numbers listed you know it does not represent what you might think it should by the wording. What I think is pure comedy is Cliffy took his misconception and ran with it. It is so funny how he talks down to people using false information he usually gets from one of his trusted sources, this time it looks like he was trying to use personal knowledge. It looks like that definitely does not work.
I swear if I constantly embarrassed myself like he does I would leave this place.

No idea when DPI was coined, I don't remember it from when I took accounting in college, but that was damn near 45 years ago.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:01 PM   #111
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Math, not for democrats.

Quote:
As posted by Inner Dirt, you're wrong.

It is amazing that you can perform the mental gymnastics to attempt to massage the numbers to fit your narrative.

Real America is worse off....and has been under D and R leadership for the past 20+ years. It's not a TRUMP or BIDEN thing, it's the continued pilferage of the middle class.
There’s disposable income and there is real disposable income. Disposable income is income after taxes and other mandatory payments. (I don’t know what other mandatory payments means-that’s the definition I found.)

Real disposable income takes inflation into account. But in the case of the pandemic, there are other factors to be considered. One is the fact that people cut back on discretionary spending because there was nothing to spend on.

The major factor was the pandemic stimulus measures.

These are the programs which were initiated to deal with the pandemic’s economic effects.
Coronavirus Food Assistance Program.
Payroll Protection Program.
Increase in Medicare Reimbursement Rate
Enhanced Unemployment Benefits
Economic Impact Payments.
Provider Relief Fund to NPISH
Student Loan Forbearance.
Lost Wages Supplemental Payments.

All of these programs contributed to a temporary, unsustainable increase in Real Disposable Income. When they ended, RDI went down.

Explanation at this link.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11546

It’s short. Pay attention to the graphs. Esp. 4
Old 01-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #112
mostpost

Quote:

You’re right. I won’t respond to inner dirt. Two months and he still hasn’t figured out that I have him on ignore. Which means I don’t see his posts unless I make an extra effort, or if someone quotes him. I just got fed up with his ignorance and toxic stupidity.

Yes, the postal pension is nice. It includes a COLA
Old 01-10-2024, 01:54 PM   #113
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
You’re right. I won’t respond to inner dirt. Two months and he still hasn’t figured out that I have him on ignore. Which means I don’t see his posts unless I make an extra effort, or if someone quotes him. I just got fed up with his ignorance and toxic stupidity.

Yes, the postal pension is nice. It includes a COLA

So funny you call me ignorant after once again making a fool out of yourself.
I have always told you to quote where I lied or posted misinformation and you never do. I actually did post misinformation for the first time and Ralph caught it. I got some bad tipped employee minimum wage for Virginia on a non official site. I suppose it is good you are ignoring me because I have been embarrassing the hell out of your sorry ass.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:09 PM   #114
davew

so Bidenomics is dependant on government jobs and COLA on retirees?

which makes sense because Michelle 0bama says government supplies EVERYTHING .... even though she was ashamed to be an American until she became first lady and figured out she will be able to live like a queen the rest of her life.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 07:32 PM   #115
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
so Bidenomics is dependant on government jobs and COLA on retirees?

which makes sense because Michelle 0bama says government supplies EVERYTHING .... even though she was ashamed to be an American until she became first lady and figured out she will be able to live like a queen the rest of her life.
No. Wrong again. Bidenomics is about government investment in the private sector, which encourages private investment. 700,000 manufacturing jobs have been created since Biden took office. The fastest increase in over 40 years.

The COLA on my Post Office pension and on Social Security, has nothing to do with Bidenomics. I don’t know when the PO COLA began, but it’s been part of my pension since I retired in 2005. The Social Security COLA was instituted by Congress in 1975. When Nixon was President.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:11 PM   #116
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I ended up buying one of these.........equity in my truck paid for about 95% of it. I had to pay taxes though at 6.25% on 46k. Mine is not a hybrid. Couldn't find one of those in all of Texas. I have the 2.4L turbo gas only. So far mileage is 25-28 mpg

From the first page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I visit my local Toyota dealer at least quarterly. They are a catering customer for my business. I noticed a really nice Toyota Highlander on the showroom floor this week and asked the GM about cutting me a deal on it.

He knows that I normally pay cash for my cars but I have about 44k equity in my pickup. He knows that I got a 0% loan on it. The first thing he said was

“Ralph, the days of low interest loans are probably gone for a long time. We are doing 6.75 and 7% loans on 800 credit scores, I hope u are trading in, and paying the difference in cash?”

Yet……last night I saw an ad for a local Ford dealer doing 0% interest for 60 months with $4995 down…….

The Chrysler dealer down the street has always done bad credit loans at 17% I cannot imagine what they are doing today

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grand_highlander.jpg (148.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg grand_highlander_rear.jpg (486.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-10-2024 at 08:24 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2024, 02:24 AM   #117
Inner Dirt

SUVs and trucks have definitely increased in price well above inflation. Those Highlanders have well over doubled since I bought my POS Tahoe, if my memory serves me correctly they were like $20k twenty years ago. I just peaked at stickers while looking at Land Cruisers.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:21 AM   #118
tbwinner

It is crazy what cars go for now. My 2008 RAV4 was fully loaded and stickered around 30. Now you can get one for 60+...
Old 01-11-2024, 11:54 AM   #119
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
It is crazy what cars go for now. My 2008 RAV4 was fully loaded and stickered around 30. Now you can get one for 60+...
6 months ago we bought my wife a 2023 RAV 4 gas only. No hybrid. XLE lowest level (all we could find) Roughly 40k with tax.

Toyota is so popular now, you have to wait months for cars except the Tundra and 4Runner and select Tacoma’s

They ruined the Tundra going with the 6 cyl Turbo nobody wanted and only adding about 2 mpg

4 Runners are due an overhaul so everybody is waiting.

Lots of 2023 Tacoma’s out there at 4-6k below sticker because the new one just came out

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-11-2024 at 11:57 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2024, 04:07 PM   #120
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
A close friend of mine (I consider her family) who I've known for over 20 years is going through some shit right now related to Bidenomics/Left Leaning Politics, and cars.

She's a software developer who lives in the OKC area, and works remotely, with occasional job related travel when they need her in the office or at a worksite.

About a week before Thanksgiving the engine in her 2008 Durango threw a rod on the 35 between OKC and Dallas.

I used to work in the car business and she asked me for help finding a remanufactured engine at a reasonable price.

The difference between reman and rebuilt engines is a reman meets factory specs, whereas a rebuilt means somebody worked on it and made a judgement call it should be ok. (Both can work depending on the knowledge/skill behind the judgement call.)

I found two Mopar certified engine shops, one in LA and the other in Hialeah, FL. Both had several V6 and V8 Mopar remans ready to ship that would fit her vehicle. Wholesale price out the door between $2.4k and $2.9k including about $380 for standard ground shipping plus a $400 core that's refundable once the old engine is returned. Shipping for core return is $150 to $200 depending on the carrier. (Core shipping is cheaper because the old engine doesn't have to get there right away.)

She was stranded while paying almost $500 a week for a rental car. Because she was in the middle of the country and standard $380 shipping was by ground, estimated delivery time was 7-10 business days.

For her that was a non-starter.

She decided to pay cash a for reman engine ($4k retail price) and hired a local mechanic recommended to her by the manager of a local national parts chain where she bought the engine (the advantage being the local mechanic would have the reman engine in his possession within 24 hrs.)

The mechanic removed the blown engine from her vehicle. But almost three weeks later, with her paying for a rental car the whole time, he hadn't installed the new engine.

At that point she told me she'd had enough, went car shopping online, and paid cash for a new 2023 Kia Telluride from a dealer a few states away.

They delivered it on a flatbed two days later to the parking lot of the hotel where she was staying.

Really nice vehicle. She drove it to New Mexico. I drove over from San Diego, and we spent the Holidays together.

She called me yesterday afternoon. I recognized something off in her voice, part sadness, part shock.

She told me there had been a company wide Zoom call with the CEO of the company she'd been working for the past few years, a healthcare software provider in the Seattle area.

The CEO had tearfully told everybody the Board of Directors (the company is privately held) had voted to do a significant restructuring that involved laying off about half the workforce.

About 20 minutes after the Zoom call the CEO had called her personally and given her the bad news.

She had been laid off.

She told me she had asked the CEO "What happened?"

The CEO had explained one of the contributing factors was the State of Washington's digital sales tax of about 9% which had been cutting into the company's margins.

The CEO had further explained the company had been losing customers when they tried to pass this tax on to them. Customers would decide to shop around and apparently had no trouble finding competitors headquartered in states without a digital sales tax.

She called me again this morning asking for help. She wanted to change the withholding status on her W4 (no state or fed taxes withheld) because she thinks it will probably be a while before she finds a really good paying job again.

It turns out the IRS has new W4 withholding rules for 2024:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Quote:
Exemption from withholding. You may claim exemption from withholding for 2024 if you meet both of the following conditions: you had no federal income tax liability in 2023 and you expect to have no federal income tax liability in 2024.

She lost her job yesterday.

A really good paying job at a company that ran into financial trouble in large part over the State of Washington's (roughly 9%) digital sales tax.

This after paying cash for a brand new car a few weeks ago. Something she never would have done had she known her employer was on the ropes.

And because of a new IRS rule, HR at her now former employer has no choice but to withhold the full amount for state and fed income taxes on her final paycheck.

Something tells me she's not the only one out there.

If you an endless parade of government rolling out new and higher taxes can go on forever without consequences:

Think again.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-11-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply