Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 12-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
AutumnLotus

Bettor Teams/Partnerships

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so my apologies to the mods if it's in the wrong spot. Looking at things like the Pick 6 carryover and even some of the Lesser carryovers but still in the thousands of dollars I got to thinking are there Partnerships or teames where the ticket costs to play can be subsidized between teammates and obviously give a better chance of winning and of course then splitting the winnings?

So of course it would not be about playing the same pics the point of it of course would be that we cover different horses.
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
davew

Twinspires has in the past had massive tickets that you could buy shares of on big race days - not sure if they still do. The participants are not involved with making the tickets.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
AutumnLotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Twinspires has in the past had massive tickets that you could buy shares of on big race days - not sure if they still do. The participants are not involved with making the tickets.
Twinspires seems to be where alot happens, cutting edge stuff . I use AMWAGER. Ill have to look into twinspires.
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
tbwinner

You're thinking of betting syndicates.

Twinspires used to run these as "Players Pools" where they'd raise 10k-100k and attack big days/big carryovers. The results were quite abysmal, with the mass majority running losses(sometimes 90% of the pool). Their ticket construction was all over the place, from massive caveman tickets to singles and whatnot in between. Basically it seemed like they just wanted to hit SOMETHING one way or another...whether they made money or not.

I don't know that they do these anymore, as they used to publish the results and they were terrible.

There was also an incident where James Scully and Ed Derosa were in charge of a players pool in the 2017 Derby. The pool had all losing tickets in the superfecta, but Scully cashed on his own personal bet on the Derby superfecta. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me...and Twitter/online was not kind to them (appropriately so)
https://crunktrunk.tumblr.com/post/1.../bury-the-lede

Quote:

James Scully hit the Derby super with a $364 ticket that paid about $76,000.
"Scully, along with Ed DeRosa, led a panel of experts for Twinspires’ Player’s Pool which bet into the same superfecta pool and struck out, cashing not one ticket while wagering $33,058 in total of Twinspires customer contributions, of which $9,417 was specifically bet in the Derby superfecta pool.
By some back of the napkin calculations, the losing Player’s Pool tickets, for which DeRosa and Scully were responsible for creating, boosted Scully’s personal, side winning ticket about $55."
"Scully mentions DeRosa had a piece of his winning superfecta. So, the only two people charged with forming their respective Derby Player’s Pool tickets had side bets that were much different than the plays they made with Twinspires’ customer money."
DeRosa said: “There were five people whose tickets I bought into blindly, and yes, James was one of them. Some people bought into my tickets, too, and those didn’t do so well”.
"In the aftermath, it’s clear now that Twinspires has no policy on panelists who create Player’s Pool tickets from betting on the side either on their own or with someone else. The Player’s Pool tends to go after big carryovers and jackpot bets - the type of bets that one unique ticket takes down the entire pool. This raises even more questions about the lack of clear policy for panelists forming opinions and thus bets for the Player’s Pool. Do they place Gulfstream Rainbow Six bets that are completely different than the ones they submit for the Player’s Pool? There does not seem to be any policy that would preclude a panelist from doing this."

Last edited by tbwinner; 12-26-2023 at 04:48 PM. Reason: quote
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM   #5
davew

I agree that the player pools I 'invested in' never had a profit (I joined somewhere between 5-10 with the minimum - can't remember if $5 or $10).

I did it to see their bet structure.

I did get a W-2G once with my participation for my 'share' of a signer. It was for under $5.

I did like the betting group in the HBO series Luck
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 10:08 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I agree that the player pools I 'invested in' never had a profit (I joined somewhere between 5-10 with the minimum - can't remember if $5 or $10).

I did it to see their bet structure.

I did get a W-2G once with my participation for my 'share' of a signer. It was for under $5.

I did like the betting group in the HBO series Luck

It's not uncommon for some degree of teamwork in tournament play.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:40 PM   #7
deathandgravity

Played a few betting partnerships/pools that formed on the old Del Mar forum before it imploded. Usually a $50-$100 buy in over PayPal and often incorporated your top picks. Tickets would be posted a before first race.

Never hit.. sure that would have opened a can of worms.
Still.. it was fun.
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply