Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
sonnyp

Question about santa anita

a friend just asked me a question about santa anita that i couldn't answer and i am thowing out to you guys. i know nothing about twitter and/or santa anita.

he watches on HRTV, and apparently there is a guy named tom quigley who gives paddock observations on every race, every day at santa anita. my friend said hrtv mentioned the guy and something about twitter. my friend wanted to get his observations and asked me about how he could do this. i "googled" tom quigley at santa anita and the track's web site came up.

i couldn't find anything on tom quigley, specifically, but did see a "t" twitter emblem on the sight. does my friend have to sign up for twitter on the santa anita web site to get quigley's paddock observations ? if not, how would one get this guy's pre-race, paddock observation's ? any info will be appreciated. thanks (please skip the comedy and sarcasm)
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
DeanT

Anyone can follow him here:

http://twitter.com/quigleys_corner
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
sonnyp

dean,

thanks very, very much. i will forward this to my friend. again, thank you
Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
rrpic6

If you see Tom Quigley, tell him he still owes me about 6 issues of Horseplayer Magazine.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Anyone can follow him here:

http://twitter.com/quigleys_corner
now i'm curious. first post tim today in 10 minutes but the last activity on what appears at the above link was 17 hrs. ago.

do i need to join his twitter account or will his current posts come up here ?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
toussaud

join the twitter i would think
but if you go to calracing.com and watch the live video, they post his paddock picks in the track feed.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
sonnyp

thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
InsideThePylons-MW

Most of these people that do the paddock observations usually give out best bets or picks before the card starts for the day.

Why is it that at least 99% of the time, the horse or horses that they pick early always look "great" in the paddock when that race comes up?

When I went to the races everyday...If I loved a horse going into the card, that horse looked "great" about 25% of the time....good enough to bet about 50% of the time and not what I wanted to see about the other 25% of the time.

How do these people bat 99% great?
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW

When I went to the races everyday...If I loved a horse going into the card, that horse looked "great" about 25% of the time....good enough to bet about 50% of the time and not what I wanted to see about the other 25% of the time.
One of my pet peeves and I have a hard time shaking it as a bettor - having a gold star 6-1ML play and then seeing him in the PP or paddock and you know he is off. You wait days for it in anticipation of taking home the brinks truck and boom, bad news.

I used to still play the horse, or cut down on my bet size. After a year of it, I sat on my hands, or bet another horse.

Last edited by DeanT; 01-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
One of my pet peeves and I have a hard time shaking it as a bettor - having a gold star 6-1ML play and then seeing him in the PP or paddock and you know he is off. You wait days for it in anticipation of taking home the brinks truck and boom, bad news.

I used to still play the horse, or cut down on my bet size. After a year of it, I sat on my hands, or bet another horse.
I'm the same way, if my horse doesnt look good, depending on WHY he doesnt look good, i totally alter my bet.

First time fronts is a big negative for me.....i know that some trainers might put fronts on a sound horse to get a better price or to avoid him being claimed, but i've found that most times, the horse needs the fronts and something is wrong, i havent found too many examples of fronts going on and the horse racing as well as he did in his previous start.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Paseana

Tom Quigley did point out the winner on the San Pedro on Monday, Indian Winter. He mentioned the horse's layoff, but then said "he looks ready to roll".

He was, too. He won quite professionally by a measured half-length, and paid $22 bucks!

Very nice indeed!
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I'm the same way, if my horse doesnt look good, depending on WHY he doesnt look good, i totally alter my bet.

First time fronts is a big negative for me.....i know that some trainers might put fronts on a sound horse to get a better price or to avoid him being claimed, but I've found that most times, the horse needs the fronts and something is wrong, i haven't found too many examples of fronts going on and the horse racing as well as he did in his previous start.
what i have found, is that like handicapping there is nothing set in stone about looks either. some people will tolerate some things (lathering up for instance), some won't. some like to see a fit horse, some dont' pay it no mind. it's very subjective.

lol, queue the even money choice winning the paddock award in race 7 (although I admit that's who I came up with as well)

Last edited by toussaud; 01-20-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Bruddah
Veteran

A must view by any Handicapper wanting to know and understand when a horse will be competitive, must watch A fit and ready Racehorse by Bonnie Ledbetter. Especially, if you are attending and playing a live meet.

If you don't have this knowledge, your betting arsenal is full of wet powder. Because of the shift from live track play to Simulcast action, most younger Handicappers don't have a clue. They simply don't know what to look for and can't see it on the monitiors. Amost impossible to pick up on at Simulcasts. Most old salts want to see them saddled and watch them warmed up? Especially, on the backside before they're loaded in the gates.

Get her DVD and learn something about the animals you're betting all that money on. You will be doing yourself a favor.

You can find it at Gamblers Book Store in Las Vegas. Available on line and worth every penny. If you don't learn enough to pay for the small investment, then the only other advice I can give you is, STOP PLAYING THE HORSES!

Last edited by Bruddah; 01-20-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
DJofSD
Screw PC

Good stuff Bruddah.

I'd say that some of the important indicators can be seen on a TV monitor. Not that it is always easy but they can be seen. You have to look quickly and take advantage of every shot the camera man and producer give you.

But by the same token, things that can not be seen are things like leg sweat, being nervous enough there is sweat dripping from the belly, some of the more stuble muscles being developed or not and even the look in the horses eyes.

Oh yes -- Bonnie's book is with Chris McCarron.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Good stuff Bruddah.

I'd say that some of the important indicators can be seen on a TV monitor. Not that it is always easy but they can be seen. You have to look quickly and take advantage of every shot the camera man and producer give you.

But by the same token, things that can not be seen are things like leg sweat, being nervous enough there is sweat dripping from the belly, some of the more stuble muscles being developed or not and even the look in the horses eyes.

Oh yes -- Bonnie's book is with Chris McCarron.
And I will add, some tracks do a much better job than others, and why I am very picky about tracks I play. I mean I'm not a pretty pony guy but I mean, my gosh it is horse racing. Like to know what I am plucking my money down on.

One day I am going to make a pretty detailed about every track in America and how I critique their showing of the post parade, as I have it for everyone, and give a grade out to each one.

Ironically, Tampa Bay, and Santa Anita of the meets going now, are better than anyone else.