Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #151
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
State-appointed vets would open themselves to tons of potential flack by disclosing their notes on horses permitted to run...
Yeah. I know.

It would take a policy/rule change, under pressure, to make the data available. But as you pointed out yourself, it would take a rule change to get claims enacted and announced early, as well.

Personally, I don't see either one changing. I just figured that as long as you are going to dream for unlikely rule changes, you could dream big.

BTW- I always like running at MNR, and think you guys do a great job on the broadcast...
5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #152
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
Yeah. I know.

It would take a policy/rule change, under pressure, to make the data available. But as you pointed out yourself, it would take a rule change to get claims enacted and announced early, as well.

Personally, I don't see either one changing. I just figured that as long as you are going to dream for unlikely rule changes, you could dream big.

BTW- I always like running at MNR, and think you guys do a great job on the broadcast...
tx man. tx , too, for running at mnr-whoever ur. lol.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #153
DeanT

I'd like to see Mark run MNR for six months. The horseplayer-centric changes would be interesting to see
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #154
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
tx man. tx , too, for running at mnr-whoever ur. lol.
Just a small-time guy from Lexington who likes running at MNR... there are lots of us.

BTW- If you ever get to take over, can you please let my owners run in their own colors? They spend time designing those things and pay good money for them. Thanks, man.
5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #155
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
I'd like to see Mark run MNR for six months. The horseplayer-centric changes would be interesting to see
Free buffet for all bettors

A bettor-friendly dunk tank so they can dunk jockeys after a bad ride, trainers after a poor performance by one of their horses or analysts after their selections finished up the track

Free ice cream!

InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #156
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
Free buffet for all bettors

A bettor-friendly dunk tank so they can dunk jockeys after a bad ride, trainers after a poor performance by one of their horses or analysts after their selections finished up the track

Free ice cream!

Is that Nancy in the dunk-tank?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #157
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Got one word for ya pal: MULLIGAN!! If we don't like the result, we declare it 'no contest,' load 'em up and run 'em again. And KEEP doing it until those contrary critters get it right.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #158
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Is that Nancy in the dunk-tank?
Not sure but I'm sure she'd be the fans choice when they call for an analyst to enter the tank.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #159
DeanT

That's funny.

The cow in that picture certainly put the cue in the rack some time ago.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #160
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
Not sure but I'm sure she'd be the fans choice when they call for an analyst to enter the tank.
Only because they've never seen me in a speedo.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #161
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
State-appointed vets would open themselves to tons of potential flack by disclosing their notes on horses permitted to run. Most horses (cheap and classy alike) have physical issues, and many have hit the vet's list. No matter how conscientious the vet, the game must go on, thus there are unsound horses that get rubber stamped and cycled back into the entries. Inevitably, a small percentage of these animals WILL break down. And that's not just at small tracks-but major venues as well. Worse yet, riders get hurt. No vet would risk looking pre-aware of the potential for tragedy in such instances.

Private vets are a separate matter, but would likewise refuse to dish info. No way would trainers employ a vet who betrayed their confidence. And there are other reasons that vets and trainers share a vow of omerta. Contrary to common perception, not all drugging is performed by trainers hiding syringes under their coats. Some vets will cross the line.
Notes somewhat similar to this were available for Belmont Stakes bettors to peruse and some of those notes came in handy, smart bettors were able to toss out horses like Saamrat had a low blood count, Gen A Rod had/has arthritis and Ride on Curlin had a bunch of things wrong with him too.

I read thru this entire thread again and really enjoyed the back and forth, thought it was worth a bump because of the vet reports that were made available for the Belmont.

Tracks that made all these reports available for every race would see an increase in handle as there wouldnt be "insiders" pounding cash onto horses they knew had specific treatments that the public doesn't know about.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen anytime soon as the horsemen essentially run the game.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #162
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Notes somewhat similar to this were available for Belmont Stakes bettors to peruse and some of those notes came in handy, smart bettors were able to toss out horses like Saamrat had a low blood count, Gen A Rod had/has arthritis and Ride on Curlin had a bunch of things wrong with him too.

I read thru this entire thread again and really enjoyed the back and forth, thought it was worth a bump because of the vet reports that were made available for the Belmont.

Tracks that made all these reports available for every race would see an increase in handle as there wouldnt be "insiders" pounding cash onto horses they knew had specific treatments that the public doesn't know about.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen anytime soon as the horsemen essentially run the game.
I like this bump. Reminded me of a lot..... Good idea SRU. You are correct this game is not for the player, it is for horsepeople. That is why I play fewer and fewer races as I get older. There are too many races where I know that I don't know many variables (why a horse is dropping off a good race, this one looks to be filling out a field-why is he in here?, why is this trainer winning with irrational horses etc).

I take trip notes on all horses and all races at NYRA and EMD. I study trainers, compare race charts, talk to horsepeople at NYRA and many times, there is just too much that we don't know to bet accordingly.

It's a shame. Not saying that we should know every single detail of a horse's medical condition as it would kill the claiming game but additional info should be supplied.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #163
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I like this bump. Reminded me of a lot..... Good idea SRU. You are correct this game is not for the player, it is for horsepeople. That is why I play fewer and fewer races as I get older. There are too many races where I know that I don't know many variables (why a horse is dropping off a good race, this one looks to be filling out a field-why is he in here?, why is this trainer winning with irrational horses etc).

I take trip notes on all horses and all races at NYRA and EMD. I study trainers, compare race charts, talk to horsepeople at NYRA and many times, there is just too much that we don't know to bet accordingly.

It's a shame. Not saying that we should know every single detail of a horse's medical condition as it would kill the claiming game but additional info should be supplied.
But it shouldn't kill the claiming game because if you put your horse in the proper class, all should be well. If your horse is worth 20k, run him for 20k.

Horses who are properly priced would be good for the claiming game, people would be more sure that if they're shelling out 20k, they're getting a horse worth 20k.

Would give more owners confidence to claim.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply