Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

Anyone ever hear of a Trainer not running cuz of post #9?

Maybe at a half mile oval but I can't think of anyone on a major circuit stating that they're scratching because of post position 9

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 09-22-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
Maximillion

No, but didnt he say that running in larger fields hurts the development of younger horses some years back?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Old 09-22-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Maybe "clean and sober" the horse is not that good.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
spiketoo

Well, if Frankel had a horse and didn't like the weights...

But I digress
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Well, if Frankel had a horse and didn't like the weights...

But I digress
Not liking the weights is one of the oldest stories in horse racing. Travis Kerr stopped running Round Table at Hollywood Park, and Rex Ellsworth stopped running Swaps at Santa Anita, both because they were upset at weight assignments.

Not like post 9, on the other hand....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Maybe at a half mile oval but I can't think of anyone on a major circuit stating that they're scratching because of post position 9

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/st...64171964616715
While this wasn't at a major circuit, many years ago at PENN, post #9 was the kiss of death for over a year. I tracked it and if the horse I liked drew post #9 it was an automatic throw out. But trainers didn't scratch due to #9. And posts 10, 11, and 12 ran in a normal range. Of course, this was back when you often had 10-12 runners in a lot of races.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
Andy Asaro

Old 09-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/st...64171964616715
Sure, I've heard of it. It's excuse #364 on the list of 1871 BS excuses trainers give to owners when they don't want them to know the truth.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Sure, I've heard of it. It's excuse #364 on the list of 1871 BS excuses trainers give to owners when they don't want them to know the truth.
It's right below "the track is cuppy" and just above "the horse needs one more workout before he'll be tight".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Although I have done my due diligence, I have not found post bias, gate placement vs distance, track configuration to be significant and valuable enough for me to spend extra time to scan upcoming races at Parx.

Every track in the known universe produces races (after the fact), where a horse may have been disadvantaged from an inability to save ground after the break. Often presenting most significantly while against-the-grain as well. I certainly don't disregard this or any other part of a bad trip if it happens to have occurred at Parx. It simply isn't a huge trap inherent to the Parx course, that causes me to do extra work to scan for possibility of occurrence to then potentially build a wager from that basis. That isn't to say the model is ignored or discredited separate from the projected pace and gate placement in a Parx race, -it's still part of the process. It's just not a fruitful standalone playmaker/driver.

Parx is a track that could be more interesting to those who find an edge in 'path bias' and speed bias. The 'track bias' notes at NYRA come to mind, as there is some good info and the concepts of a "gold rail", or wide bias, or highly speed favoring track etc... have merit. Those are the kind of track interests/concerns that Parx stimulates with me as opposed to gate-placement/configuration bias.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It's right below "the track is cuppy" and just above "the horse needs one more workout before he'll be tight".
EXACTLY
Old 09-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #13
mountainman

The only remotely similar instance I've encountered first-hand was the scratching of a 12-horse in our wv derby a few years back. The horse would have stood quite a shot , and we hated to lose him.

Just a weird random thought.....I wonder if Baffert for some reason objects to how the race was drawn? I HAVE experienced and dealt with that lots of times. And could detail some possible reasons for complaint.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I appreciate honesty.

"Maybe he can win at Finger Lakes".
Old 09-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #15
MJC922

When there's a legit speed drawn inside and you would have to outrun him by a length to clear into the first turn that can put you into a not so good situation. Especially if you think you need to control the front to beat the horses that you're up against. I just never thought this horse was all that good, I've never had him pegged better than a grade three horse in my mind really, he controlled the Derby because he was allowed to and that's all it was IMO.

I also don't think anyone will be saying after you sir anymore on the front end of these graded races, that was part of what I suspect we've seen for a very long time now. It was too uncanny. They only need your horses in 2022 if you're going to be allowed to run. The scam is over, there isn't any leverage to use with that anymore.

Last edited by MJC922; 09-23-2021 at 04:16 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: