Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
HalvOnHorseracing

Time Magazine Article

There is a good article in Time Magazine (Volume 191, No. 20) by Steven Brill called How My Generation Broke America. From the article:

About five decades ago, the core values that make America great began to bring America down.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
chadk66

I doubt there are many people that agree with anything coming out in Time magazine anymore.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I doubt there are many people that agree with anything coming out in Time magazine anymore.
Not everything in any magazine hits the mark 100% of the time. Steven Brill is a bright guy, and he offers an interesting perspective on how we've devolved.Doing an ad hoc article for Time shouldn't diminish him.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Not everything in any magazine hits the mark 100% of the time. Steven Brill is a bright guy, and he offers an interesting perspective on how we've devolved.Doing an ad hoc article for Time shouldn't diminish him.
Just FYI, when one of the resident Trump dregs says something really stupid (which happens about 28x/day at last count) you don't have to respond with any kind of justification.

A or a will do nicely
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
NJ Stinks

It's an interesting article for sure.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
boxcar

Quote:
So...is this "bright guy" going to fix everything that his [evil, selfish, greedy] generation broke?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
tucker6

I was in a doctor office yesterday and they had a bunch of Time magazines on the table. Boy, that magazine has fallen on hard times. None of them seemed to be 50 pages long and they were heavily slanted to the left. I remember back in the day that Time was at least 100 pages long and fairly balanced. I thought of the Dodo bird after putting them down.

Same goes for the USA Today. That paper is so thin that you can't even use it for dog doo doo any longer. Seems literal rags are dying on the vine.

Last edited by tucker6; 05-23-2018 at 07:51 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Just FYI, when one of the resident Trump dregs says something really stupid (which happens about 28x/day at last count) you don't have to respond with any kind of justification.

A or a will do nicely

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shock-Me-Avatar.jpg (33.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Was it 5 decades ago when liberalism started spreading slowly to dominate Hollywood and all types of media? Antenna TV is showing Johnny Carson, he often got through a whole show without mentioning politics. If he did bring up politics anyone was fair game, he made fun of politicians of both parties equally.

Fast forward to 2018 Steven Colbert starts his show with 12 minutes straight of bashing Trump and his administration. I only watch Colbert and his like for a few minutes to see if they have come up with a new main theme on which their show is based, obviously it is the same old crap. I could not stand Obama, yet there is no way I would listen to or watch a talk show that was centered around bashing him 24-7.

Watch Saturday Night Live from 40 years ago then a recent one, same crap.
Same with a lot of magazines Time is a glaring example of things going from neutral to extreme left.

I am listening to ESPN radio while running errands yesterday every 10 minutes they have to announce the Obamas coming to Netflix. What the hell does that have to do with sports? Funny thing one guy bringing it up is Bram Weinstein the guy who claims ESPN doesn't have any political leanings. The guy spews liberalism on the radio while denying that he does it. He often rants that Colin Kaepernick is unsigned.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
So...is this "bright guy" going to fix everything that his [evil, selfish, greedy] generation broke?
"Max Stier [president of the Partnership for Public Service] and others believe the country will overrun the lobbyists and cross over the moats when enough Americans see that we need leaders who are prepared and intelligent, who can channel our frustration rather than exploit it, and who can unite the middle class and the poor rather than divide them. They are certain that when the country's breakdown touches enough people directly and causes enough damage, the officeholders who depend on those people for their jobs will be forced to act."
Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
boxcar

Quote:
"Max Stier [president of the Partnership for Public Service] and others believe the country will overrun the lobbyists and cross over the moats when enough Americans see that we need leaders who are prepared and intelligent, who can channel our frustration rather than exploit it, and who can unite the middle class and the poor rather than divide them. They are certain that when the country's breakdown touches enough people directly and causes enough damage, the officeholders who depend on those people for their jobs will be forced to act."
That's nice. Max must not be a Dem;for the Dems are The Party of Division. This is what Dems do best. Divide, divide, divide. This is what Identity Politics is all about. Divide the People and Conquer! Dems see a racist, sexist, homophobe, islamophobe, transgenderphobe, xenophobe or a victim behind every tree. "Unity" is not in a Dem's vocabulary.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: