Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
elysiantraveller

Trump on Guns

The capitulation begins. I'm not particularly surprised as I've labelled him a New York Liberal for some time but how do his supporters feel about him backing away from the 2nd Amendment?
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The capitulation begins. I'm not particularly surprised as I've labelled him a New York Liberal for some time but how do his supporters feel about him backing away from the 2nd Amendment?
Love how you frame it in a negative light. We can make some changes that don't take away our 2nd amendment right.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
The capitulation begins.
Meh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.5d00da4e27c5

Quote:
In the moment, whether it is in the wake of the Las Vegas mass killing or after he rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, Trump doesn’t want to be the “bad guy.” He’ll say whatever he needs to at the time to avoid being the subject of public ire. He’ll flip on previous positions in order to swim with the shifting tide of public opinion. But when the moment passes and his extreme advisers and congressional leaders sink their teeth into the issue, he succumbs to the pressure of the right wing of his party. Considering the millions that the NRA has expended on his behalf and on behalf of fellow Republicans, does anyone think Trump is really going to side with Democrats when the NRA starts squawking?

Remember, Trump’s entire approach to “governing” is to play to his base and enrage everyone else (which in turn delights his base). Crossing the ever-shrinking group of supporters on hot-button issues such as guns or immigration would be a sharp departure from what we have seen to date.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Or in other words, there are some people in this world who will never give Trump credit, no matter what he does or says.

And elysian, don't take this as me supporting Trump in this particular instance...just saying no matter what Trump does, people like FanDan will never say or think a positive word about him, even if Trump, in deed and word, does exactly what someone like FanDan would want.

It's pretty funny actually.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Clocker

Quote:
I have seen 3 changes he is endorsing or taking action on.

1. Directing DOJ to ban bump stocks. This is meaningless eyewash, and a matter for Congress if it is to be done. I would question the Constitutional authority to do this, as insignificant as it is, because of the precedent it would set.

2. Raise the age for purchase of rifles to 21. More eyewash, infringing on the current rights of many Americans to make it look like the government is doing something effective. If there is evidence that it would be effective, let's find it before we do anything.

3. Institute "comprehensive" background checks. No one seems to know what that means, but lots of people are demanding it. In the campaign for president, Trump said that he was opposed to any expansion of background checks. Again, let's define what we are doing and see some strong evidence that it would be an effective improvement.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
woodtoo

I watched the White House meeting and saw a man who wants to solve a problem and listened to all sides. He will do good changes to save lives.

I hope he pleases you and everyone involved.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And elysian, don't take this as me supporting Trump in this particular instance...just saying no matter what Trump does, people like FanDan will never say or think a positive word about him, even if Trump, in deed and word, does exactly what someone like FanDan would want.
Tell you what, when Trump does "exactly what I want", I promise I'll post my praises post-haste
Old 02-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Tell you what, when Trump does "exactly what I want", I promise I'll post my praises post-haste
Never happen, he is not going to resign.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Never happen, he is not going to resign.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Or in other words, there are some people in this world who will never give Trump credit, no matter what he does or says.

Partisans AND followers will always be partisans and followers regardless of side. This wasn't a "pile-on" Trump post. This was pointing out a blatant flip from the campaign.

I'm not against a gun dialogue at all. Clockers post is spot on and I'll be honest that I thought bump stocks were still illegal all the way up to Vegas. Most of it is lip service but partisans on both sides will defend or attack him depending on their mothership.

Hence the question.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Who didn't think Trump would be another in a long line of politician flip-floppers?

ESPECIALLY TRUMP...probably the most malleable president in a long time...that can be good and bad, BTW...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
This was pointing out a blatant flip from the campaign.
In the campaign Trump also said that concealed carry was a right, not a privilege, and that carry permits should be treated like drivers licenses, every state should honor one issued by any other state.

I haven't heard anything about that from the administration in any discussions about gun rights.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
Clocker

Quote:
Who didn't think Trump would be another in a long line of politician flip-floppers?

ESPECIALLY TRUMP...probably the most malleable president in a long time...that can be good and bad, BTW...
Trump is strongly influenced by the last person he talked to, in this case kids advocating gun control. Let's see how long it takes for him to move on and ignore this issue.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Even when he does something that moves his closer to what the left wants.

FanDan is the LAST you you want on your team.

Guess dissing Trump take priority over actually protecting kids.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
He actually supported the "best" teachers carrying guns (yesterday) before he opposed it (today).
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply