Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
onefast99

Louisville hit with the death penalty!

Louisville has been hit with the worst penalties the NCAA has issued since Syracuse back in 2015. Louisville was hit hard having to vacate the 2013 National Championship in men's basketball. The NCAA came down hard on this program while North Carolina has been cleared of any wrong doings in the "just show up and get an A" classes offered to their student athletes as well as any student wishing to take those courses(reason NCAA said the courses were acceptable). The NCAA has the ability to do what it wants with no one above it to deny them(even if the school self imposes). The NCAA has hit Louisville hard, the athletes who competed in those games as well as the coaches, trainers, teachers and fellow students are now going through the dark period of wondering why did this happen. Penn State got a slap on the wrist and I am sure Michigan State will as well, as sexual mis-conduct seems to be a tough one for the NCAA to handle.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The death penalty means the program ceases to exist ala SMU football back in the 80s.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The death penalty means the program ceases to exist ala SMU football back in the 80s.

So, what is the death penalty?

The death penalty — as it pertains to collegiate sports, of course — is when the NCAA eliminates a specific member institution or a member institution’s team from being allowed to compete in NCAA contests.
Historically, the death penalty has only been issued to five schools since the 1950’s; and, each program eliminated from NCAA contention was reinstated within two seasons. Most notably, the NCAA used the death penalty against Southern Methodist University’s football program in 1987; most recently, Emmert could have charged Penn State football with the death penalty as a result of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, but opted not to. Louisville basketball is now tasked with attempting to avoid Emmert’s first use of the death penalty.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
So, what is the death penalty?

The death penalty — as it pertains to collegiate sports, of course — is when the NCAA eliminates a specific member institution or a member institution’s team from being allowed to compete in NCAA contests.
Historically, the death penalty has only been issued to five schools since the 1950’s; and, each program eliminated from NCAA contention was reinstated within two seasons. Most notably, the NCAA used the death penalty against Southern Methodist University’s football program in 1987; most recently, Emmert could have charged Penn State football with the death penalty as a result of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, but opted not to. Louisville basketball is now tasked with attempting to avoid Emmert’s first use of the death penalty.
As bad as Louisville was, Michigan State is much worse in my opinion and that of most others I've read. The NCAA won't give either the death penalty. Too much money would be lost.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
reckless
Veteran

As far as I am concerned it would please me greatly if Louisville, North Carolina and Michigan State never wins another basketball game ever again, much less a National Championship.

I have grown to hate these teams and their phony and corrupt head coaches.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Marshall Bennett

This crap with grades and great athletes has always gone on. How many great players have you ever heard of kicked off a football team because of grades? That kid is worth millions to a large school. He'll damn sure get passing grades too.
So I suppose somewhere a line must be drawn between cheating, and downright dirty cheating. Perhaps when the players and/or schools make it so obvious to the general public they're breaking rules. A handful of SMU's players drove expensive fancy cars around town. A few lived in very nice condos (daddy's name wasn't on the lease either).
This all took place like 30 years ago, and to this day SMU's sports program still hasn't fully recovered.
So what degree of cheating is permissible?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

Forget Louisville, the singing has begun........now they fall like dominos. We are talking about federal crimes here. Not a few jack asses kneeling for the Anthem.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
That is my mom's high school typing teacher, Jerry Tarkanian. I am assuming that since you posted the picture, you are stating that he is crooked, right? Are you aware that he sued the NCAA alleging harassment over a 20 year period and settled with them for $2.5 million?

The NCAA has a long history of singling out, targeting really, certain coaches and letting others get away with murder. There is no real due process and money always talks.

Rick Neuheisel is another coach who got paid $2.5 million by the NCAA.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=2007123
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Forget Louisville, the singing has begun........now they fall like dominos. We are talking about federal crimes here. Not a few jack asses kneeling for the Anthem.
While the FBI has certainly taken some serious hits over the past several months, if not days, they still have governmental power of such things as subpoenas, sworn testimony, jail time, and a grand jury to put these people up against.

This isn't the weak NCAA which was never given any power to try and prosecute those of which they supposedly governed.

Can't wait for the ashes as my shitty Husker hoops team is likely to be one of the few still standing.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
While the FBI has certainly taken some serious hits over the past several months, if not days, they still have governmental power of such things as subpoenas, sworn testimony, jail time, and a grand jury to put these people up against.

This isn't the weak NCAA which was never given any power to try and prosecute those of which they supposedly governed.

Can't wait for the ashes as my shitty Husker hoops team is likely to be one of the few still standing.
The latest "hit" they took was total Bull Shit. They can't check out every mentally unstable person, its freaking impossible. There would be thousands of calls a day. The local police have a lot of explaining to do seeing that they were called dozens of times for that kid. I think most people don't realize that a good portion of the FBI force are accountants and auditors. They are not all guys with Tommy Guns and SWAT teams that's like the minority.

This kind of thing is right up their alley. That's why they are demonized by the politicians too. The kind of crimes they investigate are the kind the white collar criminals pull. People that can afford lawyers and PR. The funny thing is much of the general public can be fooled, so it works.

The one thing in common with all of these investigations. When people that most likely can never survive the "Klink" because they have had life easy are caught........those are the first to sing like birds. At that point its self preservation, people used to silk sheets and filet mignon have no shot in prison.....so they shit their pants and talk. That's the fact no one talks about.

They are taking hits from many investigations but the indictments are coming in like hot cakes. Innocent people don't react that way, the heat is on.

Last edited by burnsy; 02-24-2018 at 12:48 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
That is my mom's high school typing teacher, Jerry Tarkanian. I am assuming that since you posted the picture, you are stating that he is crooked, right? Are you aware that he sued the NCAA alleging harassment over a 20 year period and settled with them for $2.5 million?

The NCAA has a long history of singling out, targeting really, certain coaches and letting others get away with murder. There is no real due process and money always talks.

Rick Neuheisel is another coach who got paid $2.5 million by the NCAA.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=2007123
I like Tark. He's got to be somewhere among my favorite coaches.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
Inner Dirt

Something needs to be done, but I am not sure what. I would say men's basketball is the worst, but probably the most demanding on the so-called student athlete. Road games in the middle of a school week? You would have to be nose to the grindstone, little time for recreation and sleep less than the recommended 8 hours to play D1 basketball and keep decent grades in classes needed toward a respectable major. Good example a conference game where Texas Tech has to travel to West Virginia for tonight's game.
I would think just the time spent in the airport on both ends and the flights have to kill 12 hours. Some of these teams are playing 8-9 games a month during the season, impossible to mix that with being a good student unless you have mental skills that most do not posses.

Something also needs to be done about the one and done institutions. Is that person really a student athlete if he is just killing time waiting for the NBA draft? The NBA makes hoards of money they need to spend some of it to set up a minor league system similar to baseball, stop using the NCAA as a farm system. The NCAA in basketball has become the NBA's farm system for financial gain.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 02-26-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Something needs to be done, but I am not sure what. I would say men's basketball is the worst, but probably the most demanding on the so-called student athlete. Road games in the middle of a school week? You would have to be nose to the grindstone, little time for recreation and sleep less than the recommended 8 hours to play D1 basketball and keep decent grades in classes needed toward a respectable major. Good example a conference game where Texas Tech has to travel to West Virginia for tonight's game.
I would think just the time spent in the airport on both ends and the flights have to kill 12 hours. Some of these teams are playing 8-9 games a month during the season, impossible to mix that with being a good student unless you have mental skills that most do not posses.

Something also needs to be done about the one and done institutions. Is that person really a student athlete if he is just killing time waiting for the NBA draft? The NBA makes hoards of money they need to spend some of it to set up a minor league system similar to baseball, stop using the NCAA as a farm system. The NCAA in basketball has become the NBA's farm system for financial gain.
The game has changed and the NCAA hasn't. The players are what generates the cash cows in football and basketball. I don't want to see a player paid but you need to stop the one and done in CB. That combined with keeping the agents away from the top prospects before the commit to a college could make a difference.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: