Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
headhawg
crusty old guy

Windows updates

Has anyone installed the Windows 7 February rollup? With the whole Spectre/Meltdown problem and the problems the fixes have caused, I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with this month's updates. I haven't read anything bad about it but I thought I would check here.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Has anyone installed the Windows 7 February rollup? With the whole Spectre/Meltdown problem and the problems the fixes have caused, I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with this month's updates. I haven't read anything bad about it but I thought I would check here.
My updates installed yesterday. I have seen no issues thus far on my Win7 machine.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
_______
Veteran

Ditto. Not using the machine it installed on for anything other than internet. Might be different for someone using any programs that tax resources more than I am
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Ditto. Not using the machine it installed on for anything other than internet. Might be different for someone using any programs that tax resources more than I am
I would suggest that internet is the MOST IMPORTANT reason to keep up with the updates.

Internet security is the top priority in many of these updates.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have a used W7 machine I want to hook up. It is a couple of years old now, so I need to update quite a bit.

I heard there is a new way to get updates for W7?

I also have a used W10 laptop I need to get up and running - came out just before the first major update. No change for these updates I guess, but might take a long time - like overnight?

Sounds like I have a lot to do to get up to date. My purchasing is outdoing my consuming!

XP has been so good, I just hate to leave it, but the time has come to retire XP to offline only.

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller to be the first program I load on both, and the XP machines, better late than never.

Any other suggestions for key programs to get in on the ground floor?

Last edited by Tom; 02-15-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #6
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I would suggest that internet is the MOST IMPORTANT reason to keep up with the updates.

Internet security is the top priority in many of these updates.
I completely agree. My response was just to add some color for the OP who was asking for any potential issues with the recent package.

I’m not running anything that would tax the limits of any chips was my point. The funny thing is that in composing this response, I realized I have an AMD chipset anyway.

I know they can also be subject to the flaws in question but I think Intel were the main culprits.

I’m getting less and less useful in this thread. Think I’ll throw in the towel.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks for the responses guys. I will probably download and install the updates today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I heard there is a new way to get updates for W7?
M$ just packaged things differently. Once per month they do a rollup which includes all the updates in a 200+MB install. Only in dire circumstances will M$ release something between rollup releases. You still get them the same way through Windows Updates, unless you want to use the Windows catalog method but that's not really the normal way to do it.

If you have trouble with the Win7 updates just post here. When M$ was pushing Win10 I had some problems with the W7 update installation. You may have to download the latest version of the installer to get updates to work.

Make sure to update things like Java and Flash if you don't have them on auto updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Any other suggestions for key programs to get in on the ground floor?
Paid or free? CCleaner Free probably, although I hate the inclusion of the Chrome install if you're not paying attention. Media Player Classic. 7-Zip. Most of the things I use are pay versions: Bitdefender and Sandboxie to name two.

Good luck with the updates Tom.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thanks, HH.....going to try to update the whole mess next week.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
forced89

I have Windows 7 and have it set up so I have can review and decide if I want to install updates. I rely on http://www.askwoody.com to determine which I install.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

I like that site. Going to bookmark it. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
I have Windows 7 and have it set up so I have can review and decide if I want to install updates. I rely on http://www.askwoody.com to determine which I install.
Smart move
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Smart move
Agreed. I have had too many problems with automatic updates from Microsoft. So now I rarely update 7.

My computer works fine and I don't have any viruses -- or at least none that I know of.

I stay away from shady sights and never never never never never never never click on links in emails.

I updated my windows phone one time and it got bricked. I couldn't even restore it. I really liked the phone and the operating system, but after that experience I got an iphone. I've never been a big fan of apple products, but the iphone is the market leader and my kids like the iphone. It helps us as a family that we all have the same kind of phone.

That said, my wife's iphone is less than a year old and it appears to have died today. She said it was very hot when she picked it up and then it wouldn't turn on.

Update: She just got off the phone from iphone support. They told her to hold the thumb button down while pressing the start button on the side for 20 seconds. It worked. It turned back on. They said she probably missed some updates.

If a phone or computer works before updates, why do you need updates to keep it working? All we do is send texts and make phone calls. Occasionally we use our phones for the internet.

I just watched Oliver Stone's movie "Snowden" the other night. Now, the only reason I can see for updates is because they found some new way to track you better.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2018, 04:46 AM   #13
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Agreed. I have had too many problems with automatic updates from Microsoft. So now I rarely update 7.

My computer works fine and I don't have any viruses -- or at least none that I know of.

I stay away from shady sights and never never never never never never never click on links in emails.

I updated my windows phone one time and it got bricked. I couldn't even restore it. I really liked the phone and the operating system, but after that experience I got an iphone. I've never been a big fan of apple products, but the iphone is the market leader and my kids like the iphone. It helps us as a family that we all have the same kind of phone.

That said, my wife's iphone is less than a year old and it appears to have died today. She said it was very hot when she picked it up and then it wouldn't turn on.

Update: She just got off the phone from iphone support. They told her to hold the thumb button down while pressing the start button on the side for 20 seconds. It worked. It turned back on. They said she probably missed some updates.

If a phone or computer works before updates, why do you need updates to keep it working? All we do is send texts and make phone calls. Occasionally we use our phones for the internet.

I just watched Oliver Stone's movie "Snowden" the other night. Now, the only reason I can see for updates is because they found some new way to track you better.
They need updates with new versions of iphones become available - put in a 'slow down' program so that the new version is bought.

I am pretty sure Microsoft updates made a couple of my laptops unusable.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
They need updates with new versions of iphones become available - put in a 'slow down' program so that the new version is bought.

I am pretty sure Microsoft updates made a couple of my laptops unusable.
My iphone is definitely getting slower, but I only use it for calling, texting, and an occasional email. Rarely do I surf the web with it.

I have had windows updates cause my desktop to completely stop running. I had to reboot in safe mode and then restore to a previous point.

If I did every update I'd run out of hard drive space!
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #15
AltonKelsey
Veteran

While I have occasionally had a minor issue with windows updates (more so on Windows 10) , I have been running my Windows 7 since

and have not once had to reinstall the op sys or revert to a backup .

Could all come crashing down tomorrow, but it probably won't.

Just a data point for your files.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 07-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: