Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker

Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #256
proximity

ace on the river.....

ok poker fans, we continue with our ATLANTIC CITY report.

we last left off with a brutal 2/4 pounding at harrah's and when we returned to bally's we even struggled to get a simple sandwich when sack o'subs ran out of rolls.

after getting a little relaxation in our cozy little suite in the Curtis on the bay tower we return to the wsop poker room for some night action. (2/4/6 limit)

we start quickly with T2 in the big blind seeing a flop of T 2 8.

I lead out on the flop only to be raised by an obnoxious glutton on my immediate left who promptly turns a queen to give his J9o...... yes, he limped utg with j9 off... the winning straight when no dime or deuce hits the river.

of course then after running out to get an order of fries, the guy immediately hits a high hand.

then he disappears for another thirty minutes, comes back with some cheese fries, and hits ANOTHER high hand.

meanwhile we're 80 minutes in and (in a recurring proximity poker tour theme) I haven't dragged a single pot.

eventually however I get on the board with our old friend KK and wins with AJ and AK follow to cut my deficit to only $13 for the game.

no high hands or French fries for me but it looks like it's at least going to be a winning session when KQ sees a flop of Q 8 3 and turns a king for two pairs.

but a woman with JT stayed in with her gutterball and the cowboy on the turn made her open ended.

ace on the river seals my fate.

thank you for reading.

game -52 (2/4)
season -2579 (50-59)
bonus 0 (695)

Last edited by proximity; 01-26-2018 at 01:28 AM.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #257
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Poker Variance Can Be Unkind

Just finished both a Thursday and Saturday poker session with an accumulated 14+ hours, and they were brutal. Net loss from both days was $577.

Here are some of the specific hands that I can remember:

(a) Went all-in with AA pre-flop. A villain calls with QQ. I am a 80-20 favorite. Q on the flop.
(b) Went all-in with AA pre-flop. A villain calls with 10 10. I am a 80-20 favorite. 10 on the flop, then another 10 on the turn. (If I was going to get beat, at least my opponent was able to win a portion of the high-hand promotion,.).
(c) Went all-in on a flop of 6 Q A rainbow with AQo. Villain calls with AKo. I am an 85-15 favorite. A king appears on the river.
(d) I have AA and go all-in preflop. My opponent calls with K 10 off. I am a 85-15 favorite. Flop comes Q 9 8.
(e) Had QQ. Raise to $20. Flop comes 6 7 3 rainbow. I go all-in, and villain has 6 7 off. To be fair, I probably win if I go all-in pre-flop.
(f,g) Another two hands where I was all-in and had at a minimum a 60+ to 40- advantage.

Pretty depressing, but Peter Clarke in his book "The Grinder's Manual" states that the only "stable" currency in poker is EV (Expected Value). And that over a sufficiently long-enough time period, real-life profits/losses will be equal to one's accumulated EV. So at my current activity rate AND if I continue to play at a +EV level, I should be able to recoup these recent losses in about 50 years.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #258
dlivery

Double Vision With Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Just finished both a Thursday and Saturday poker session with an accumulated 14+ hours, and they were brutal. Net loss from both days was $577.

Here are some of the specific hands that I can remember:

(a) Went all-in with AA pre-flop. A villain calls with QQ. I am a 80-20 favorite. Q on the flop.
(b) Went all-in with AA pre-flop. A villain calls with 10 10. I am a 80-20 favorite. 10 on the flop, then another 10 on the turn. (If I was going to get beat, at least my opponent was able to win a portion of the high-hand promotion,.).
(c) Went all-in on a flop of 6 Q A rainbow with AQo. Villain calls with AKo. I am an 85-15 favorite. A king appears on the river.
(d) I have AA and go all-in preflop. My opponent calls with K 10 off. I am a 85-15 favorite. Flop comes Q 9 8.
(e) Had QQ. Raise to $20. Flop comes 6 7 3 rainbow. I go all-in, and villain has 6 7 off. To be fair, I probably win if I go all-in pre-flop.
(f,g) Another two hands where I was all-in and had at a minimum a 60+ to 40- advantage.

Pretty depressing, but Peter Clarke in his book "The Grinder's Manual" states that the only "stable" currency in poker is EV (Expected Value). And that over a sufficiently long-enough time period, real-life profits/losses will be equal to one's accumulated EV. So at my current activity rate AND if I continue to play at a +EV level, I should be able to recoup these recent losses in about 50 years.
as we go along our known way we will find our way
Let It Ride
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #259
proximity

sounds like a "proximity" session.

when did he hit the jack in (d)?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #260
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
sounds like a "proximity" session.

when did he hit the jack in (d)?
Sorry, it was Q J 9 (not Q 9 8). He flopped the straight.

Last edited by Track Collector; 03-13-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #261
proximity

can't fold 'em out.....

ok poker fans we are back in atlantic city at exciting bally's by the beach where we'll wrap up our halloweeen trip with some invigorating 2/4/6 limit hold 'em!!

we checkout of our suite in the curtis on the bay tower and grab an oatmeal at the dunkin donuts. it's been yet another bad trip down to the jersey shore. to recap i'm losing at bally's, got absolutely demolished at harrah's, and endured a long wait at sack o'subs when they ran out of rolls.

whether or not this trip will be better than an earlier 2017 ac trip where a dirty bally's toilet overflowed on me will be determined by today's action.....

we start off losing with our old friend KK but there's a LONG way to go.

99 can't fold out KJ (no flush in play) on a board of 6542.

jack on the river.

next we suffer our second loss of the day with cowboys when KK can't fold out another stroker who hangs around to river a back door flush.

to complicate matters i'm flopping four flushes but whiffing completely.

our boat is once again drifting away from the shore here in atlantic city when an amazing hand gets me right back in the game. i have 33 vs TWO villains with AJ.

flop: A J 3.

i look to build some momentum when i get KQ in back to back hands.... but i lose both pots.

it's another miserable day at bally's. the table's laughing at a guy who isn't even funny. eveyone's having a good time. everyone but me.

when i look down at QQ though a flop of QQx will turn my frown upside down.

i drag a rare pot and nail a $250 high hand right at the buzzer!!

i'm about to move ahead for the actual poker too when A5s flops trips against limped queens.

QQ hath giveth bountifully with the high hand but this time it takes a little back when a third tudor girl shows up on fifth street.

finally with 99 i raise and get heads up against an animal who stays with J5.

flop: Q 7 2

i bet the flop. he stays.

i bet the turn (blank). he stays.

only ONE card will help him now but that one card sums up our entire 2017 season.

river: J

i retire to noodle village to enjoy one final general tso's before what i plan to be a long break from atlantic city. despite the losing i will miss the city and the hope, nostalgic feelings, excitement, and feeling of freedom that these trips give me. i don't want to go back to poker but i'm not yet ready to leave so i sit down for some blackjack where i get wrapped up in a game with some tourists and a sexy young thing in a skeleton costume.

suddenly it all turns around.

i begin to win and win and win and win.....

thank you for reading!!

game -59 (246 lim)
year -2638 (50-60)
bonus 225 (920)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #262
proximity

atlantic city picture.....

(proximity, sexy young thing, guy who called down with j 5 off--no hearts...)

https://images.hellogiggles.com/uplo...9288158286.jpg

Last edited by proximity; 03-19-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #263
tucker6

Anyone heard from Proximity lately? I wrote him a PM a few days ago hoping he was well with no response and I see he hasn't been on the boards since 4/30. Just checking to make sure everything is fine.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #264
proximity

I've been busy trying to land a big trainer change analyst position with benter associates.

will try to finish up these 2017 reports and hopefully get some new games in here for the 2018 thread!!

hope everyone is well!!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #265
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
I've been busy trying to land a big trainer change analyst position with benter associates.

will try to finish up these 2017 reports and hopefully get some new games in here for the 2018 thread!!

hope everyone is well!!
Hope your well too, Just getting to start ramping up my poker trips
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #266
Track Collector

Glad to hear from both of you!

No poker for me last week as the wife and I drove down to Florida to see her Dad. Looking to visit him again in about 5 weeks when he turns 100.

Poker-wise I have been doing very well so far this year. If I can keep up the current rate I can think of it as a part-time job (although one currently paying less than minimum wage).

I do quite well at Charles Town, but I need to work on my game at places like the Horseshoe and Maryland Live where the average games are somewhat more aggressive. Maybe the player pool is a bit sharper too.

Might finally give Penn National a try too, but I hear there is this sharpie called "The Lion".

Last edited by Track Collector; 05-18-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #267
thaskalos

Quote:
Glad to hear from both of you!

No poker for me last week as the wife and I drove down to Florida to see her Dad. Looking to visit him again in about 5 weeks when he turns 100.

Poker-wise I have been doing very well so far this year. If I can keep up the current rate I can think of it as a part-time job (although one currently paying less than minimum wage).

I do quite well at Charles Town, but I need to work on my game at places like the Horseshoe and Maryland Live where the average games are somewhat more aggressive. Maybe the player pool is a bit sharper too.

Might finally give Penn National a try too, but I hear there is this sharpie called "The Lion".
To what do you attribute your very good results at the poker table this year?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:09 AM   #268
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
To what do you attribute your very good results at the poker table this year?

That is an interesting question. Let me give this some thought before I reply.

Tonight (Friday) on the felt I experienced a very rare occurrence. I think I was in the CO. The UTG raised to $12 pre-flop, and was followed by 3 more calls. When it gets to me I jam for about $140 with pocket Aces. The UTG calls my All-In with pocket Aces. Pretty uncommon by itself, but then add that instead of chopping I get beat by a flush. Now I only have to wait sometime over the next 20-30 years for the same situation where "I" am the one who makes the flush.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #269
thaskalos

Quote:

Tonight (Friday) on the felt I experienced a very rare occurrence. I think I was in the CO. The UTG raised to $12 pre-flop, and was followed by 3 more calls. When it gets to me I jam for about $140 with pocket Aces. The UTG calls my All-In with pocket Aces. Pretty uncommon by itself, but then add that instead of chopping I get beat by a flush. Now I only have to wait sometime over the next 20-30 years for the same situation where "I" am the one who makes the flush.
That's why I say that we need a strong stomach in order to play no limit effectively.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #270
proximity

Quote:

for awhile (I don't think anymore?) pen had a jackpot for this!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: