Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #121
toussaud

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...tery.html?_r=4
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #122
iceknight

Paterno fired and STUPID students (hundreds or maybe 1000's) of them doing crazy stuff and rioting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q0XC2ScUp-E

the nutjobs (probably 1000-2000) out of an enrollment of 43000... but they still ruined it for everyone by flipping media trucks etc
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #123
turninforhome10

Two things in life

I have lived with this idea for a while. There are two things in life that a person can take away from someone that can never be given back to them. Their life and their innocence. Take away either one with malice aforethought and the death penalty should be instituted. I am the father of a beautiful 7 yo little girl and the idea that anyone should destroy her innocence should draw only the harshest penalties i.e death.
I work for Penn State at the Medical Center and the mood has been varied. I actually heard someone say that Joe Pa should be allowed to stay as the are having a good season. Huh? I prefer the idea that Sandusky should be given a gun and sent into a soundproof room and do the right thing.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #124
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by turninforhome10
I have lived with this idea for a while. There are two things in life that a person can take away from someone that can never be given back to them. Their life and their innocence. Take away either one with malice aforethought and the death penalty should be instituted. I am the father of a beautiful 7 yo little girl and the idea that anyone should destroy her innocence should draw only the harshest penalties i.e death.
I work for Penn State at the Medical Center and the mood has been varied. I actually heard someone say that Joe Pa should be allowed to stay as the are having a good season. Huh? I prefer the idea that Sandusky should be given a gun and sent into a soundproof room and do the right thing.

I disagree with the idea of giving Sandusky a choice. I think there are proper treatment methods at State penitentiary locations for Sandusky. Regards Joepa, I am appalled at how he and others used the word horsing around and insulted horses as well as made it seem like child rape/abuse was nothing. Perhaps JoePA and the other four involved can be sent to a jail to be "horsed around" by other hardened prisoners.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #125
judd

play joes house number (was on tv)

judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #126
llegend39
Veteran

Joe Fired

Absolutely the WORST decision in the history of major college athletics
He should have been allowed to coach the rest of the season and then retire
He gave Penn St 61 years for god sakes

What a gutless , spineless bunch of weasels the board of trustee are. The fire him by phone? PHONE! Give me a F-IN break

Im glad to see the student body feel the outrage I do
They are planning a Friday nite into Sat morning pep rally for Joe
They are trying to figure out a way to "sneak" him in.
Id love to see the fans boycott the game
Id love to see the players refuse to take the field and forfeit the game
I hope they go 0-100
I hope not 1 high school kid wants to play there
I hope no major college wants them on their schedule
I hope there comes a time when they cant get a game with Beaver High
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #127
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I am reminded of when Ohio State had to fire Woody Hayes. Of course, the circumstances were completely different, but what is similar is the understanding that no one is bigger than the institution. Ohio State acted swiftly, they didn't form a committee and try to weigh in factors that had nothing to do with the incident, they did what they had to do, regardless of public opinion. I think Penn State's board did the right thing. I also think that the fellow they sent up front to make the announcement did a great job under incredible pressure. No one would feel comfortable firing a legend.
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #128
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by llegend39

What a gutless , spineless bunch of weasels the board of trustee are. The fire him by phone? PHONE! Give me a F-IN break

Im glad to see the student body feel the outrage I do
They are planning a Friday nite into Sat morning pep rally for Joe
They are trying to figure out a way to "sneak" him in.
Id love to see the fans boycott the game
Id love to see the players refuse to take the field and forfeit the game
I hope they go 0-100
I hope not 1 high school kid wants to play there
I hope no major college wants them on their schedule
I hope there comes a time when they cant get a game with Beaver High

This is arguably the dumbest post in the history of Pace Advantage. Congratulations.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #129
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Paterno fired and STUPID students (hundreds or maybe 1000's) of them doing crazy stuff and rioting..
PSU just keeps fumbling the ball on this situation.

Do you think people of supposedly higher intelligence maybe could have announced this at 10:00 AM today instead of 10:00 PM on hump day when the students were probable already juiced up?
Authorities-(police) could have been alerted- (prepared).

I would not call that a riot,I have seen riots.
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #130
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
This is arguably the dumbest post in the history of Pace Advantage. Congratulations.
Agreed.

But judd's a close second. After his black dudes in jail comment earlier, he gets Joe's house number wrong...in large font.
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #131
Dave Schwartz

I am the father of a molested child. When my daughter was 28 months old she was molested by a baby sitter's 11-yr old son.

We discovered it because she had developed behavioral problems and we took her to Children's Behavioral Services. During the intake, the social worker said, "Your daughter has all the earmarks of an abused child. May we examine her?"

Of course, the examine turned out positive.

An investigation ensued. I was the most likely candidate, followed by our 15 year old son, followed by the only two other males that had ever been alone with her.

When we figured out who it was, I went to the mother and told her, very calmly, what her son had done. She denied it. I recall saying to her, "Look, this is not a discussion or debate. I, frankly, do not care about your son. I am interested in my daughter. If you have a brain in your head you will stop denying his involvement and get him help."

Long story short - Over the coming 18 months, the boy was arrested (it is the law) and my daughter spent a lot of time in counseling. The therapist - a wonderful woman - advised us that probably at ages 7-9 she would have more problems. She was right.

Eventually, she was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Now a 27-year old adult, she still suffers from this condition, though she denies it. It has seriously hampered her ability to have a normal life.

The perpetrator and his family did not fair anywhere near as well. At age 18, he shot and killed his estranged father who had been molesting him. The boy, himself, was killed at age 23. His older sister (by 1 year), who the investigation showed was forced to sleep in the same bed with her brother from age 7 to 12, committed suicide in her mid-20s. The mother committed suicide about two years after that.

The consequences of a molestation can be far-reaching. It is a heinous crime. Where did this vicious cycle begin? Near as I could tell, it began with the father he molested his son but it probably began in his youth when (if?) he was molested himself. After that, the dominoes fell.

Truly, when the incident occurred with my daughter, I was not even thinking of revenge. I had (as I told the mother) "bigger fish to fry." I told her that her son was her responsibility, not mine. She was not up to it. Perhaps she had not been "up to" protecting her son from his father either.

I still hold that the 11-year old boy who did this was as much a victim as the girl he abused.

How do you suppose the boys Sandusky molested are doing? Do you suppose that even one of them has an "abnormal" life? Perhaps at least one of them has been robbed of his ability to lead a normal life? Do you suppose that the cycle of abuse has continued? Do you suppose that even one of those boys is now a molester himself?

I would imagine that the answer to all of those questions is "yes."

In Nevada ( and other states around the nation) there is a law that says that any educator or professional who is aware of child abuse, sexual or otherwise, MUST report it to the authorities IMMEDIATELY. That does not mean tell SOMEONE it means tell the police. It is THE LAW.

How much better off would "Sandusky's boys" be today if this had been done IMMEDIATELY? How many more children have been abused at the hands of the ABUSED? And how many of the 2nd generation abusers have now become 3rd generation abusers?

Please, do not tell me that it is too bad that "all this" has tarnished Joe Paterno's legacy. Lives have been shattered; will continue to be shattered. Paterno helped create this legacy by not doing the right thing at the right time.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #132
lsbets

Quote:

What a gutless , spineless bunch of weasels
That would be an accurate description of Joe and the rest of the staff. They did nothing to stop children from being abused. I don't care how many games he's won or coached, that does not make him a great man. He had a chance to be a great man, to stop the abuse of children by someone he knew and trusted. Instead he did his best to look the other way. Paterno is a gutless, spineless weasel.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #133
ArlJim78

The decision to fire Paterno is not surprising or gutless. It was simply the only course of action that could be taken. Put yourselves in the shoes of those trustees for a moment, and tell me you wouldn't have done the same.

Yes it's sad that a legend who all of us most likely admired has to go out like this, but there are bigger issues here than a coaches reputation or winning against Nebraska. Getting rid of Paterno is only the first step on a long road for PSU to get this scandal behind them.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #134
MONEY

Quote:

The Joe Paterno firing is a joke.

I'm pretty sure that Paterno has a clause in his contract that guarantees him an amount of money should he get fired.

If he resigns he gets nothing.

The firing is nothing more than a hidden payoff.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #135
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY
The Joe Paterno firing is a joke.

I'm pretty sure that Paterno has a clause in his contract that guarantees him an amount of money should he get fired.

If he resigns he gets nothing.

The firing is nothing more than a hidden payoff.
I really, really don't think Joe Paterno needs any money at this point in his life. This firing definitely tarnishes his legacy even more than it already was. Resigning wasn't going to save his reputation, but it would have been one small step in the right direction. Instead he comes across as the stubborn old man, too dumb to admit he did something very wrong here.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply