Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #106
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

$5,535 this morning.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #107
chadk66

it'll be done by the end of the year I'd guess
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #108
MONEY

Bit coin hovering around $4,000.00 today.

https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-price/
Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #109
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Bitcoin - the S & H green stamps of the 21st century.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #110
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Bitcoin is now worth less than the cost to mine it according to JP Morgan. If true, and there is no incentive to mine (verify transactions), how does it not go to zero?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...105331363.html
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #111
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Yes and no. One can say that putting their money in anything but the mattress means they're gambling, but they could even lose the money in the mattress if they're robbed.

I guess we're "gambling" every day with our lives as we drive a car or board a plane or cross a street or eat a cheeseburger.

So we can take it all to the extreme, but we generally know what we're talking about when we talk about investing and gambling and the differences between the two.
This is why you may think of cryptos as ridiculous or terrible bets. Maybe its because you know very little about them? It seems a lot of banks are signing on to the block chain technologies .....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #112
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
He doesn't even realize the issue with such an increase. Unless it's very stable, it won't be a currency.

As straight currency, would the used car dealer take a $14,700 valued bitcoin over $14,700 in cash? No. It's too volatile. That's in addition to now having to find an auction house to accept bitcoins to buy his next car at auction and utility companies doing the same to pay his bills.

It's playing musical chairs. I'm happy with the fact I won't be left without a chair when the music stops.
Seems Lamborghini dealer disagrees.....https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitc...ocurrency.html
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #113
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Seems Lamborghini dealer disagrees.....https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitc...ocurrency.html
The only value bitcoin has to the car dealer is the value of the exchange rate.

“We do not really take bitcoin, we do not speculate on [the] exchange rate,” Frigerio says, a point being driven home by bitcoins’ recent plunge. “We just facilitate the owner of bitcoin by running the transaction through a payment service. Similar [to] using Apple Pay or PayPal, or running foreign currency though a foreign exchange financial institution in order to receive U.S. dollars.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitc...ocurrency.html
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #114
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I'm simply amazed that people invest in BitCoin and Tesla.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #115
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
The only value bitcoin has to the car dealer is the value of the exchange rate.

“We do not really take bitcoin, we do not speculate on [the] exchange rate,” Frigerio says, a point being driven home by bitcoins’ recent plunge. “We just facilitate the owner of bitcoin by running the transaction through a payment service. Similar [to] using Apple Pay or PayPal, or running foreign currency though a foreign exchange financial institution in order to receive U.S. dollars.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitc...ocurrency.html
Actually, if you read further, you would see that "Michael’s Auto Plaza in Albany, New York, also began accepting bitcoin payments through BitPay in December".
Either way though, the point is that cryptocurrency is definitely a possibility. Banks are looking at block chains, etc etc. The IMF is even talking about regulations....
So, I do not believe its a Ponzi scheme. Now again, this does not mean that I have went and mortgaged the house or may substantial buys. Its just an opinion.....
governed.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #116
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Actually, if you read further, you would see that "Michael’s Auto Plaza in Albany, New York, also began accepting bitcoin payments through BitPay in December".
Either way though, the point is that cryptocurrency is definitely a possibility. Banks are looking at block chains, etc etc. The IMF is even talking about regulations....
So, I do not believe its a Ponzi scheme. Now again, this does not mean that I have went and mortgaged the house or may substantial buys. Its just an opinion.....
I don't think it is a ponzi scheme. The problem is what is its value. Currency issued by a government is backed by the credit of the government. Whose credit is backing the value of bitcoin?

The true value of currency is what goods can you exchange for the currency. Bitcoin is sort of like the coins issued by the Continental in John Wick movies.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #117
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I don't think it is a ponzi scheme. The problem is what is its value. Currency issued by a government is backed by the credit of the government. Whose credit is backing the value of bitcoin?

The true value of currency is what goods can you exchange for the currency. Bitcoin is sort of like the coins issued by the Continental in John Wick movies.
You could make the same argument about other investments like (stocks). They have a value that is sometimes insanely low or high. Look at Berkshire Class A....

I do agree that crypto's are a bit more of a long shot and more speculative. Thats why the gains can and have shown to be much greater. Same for Risk.
governed.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #118
Gorrex

We started accepting Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash for ADW deposits through Bitpay last july. Just in case anyone wants to divest :P

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...tcoin-deposits

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #119
newtothegame

Interesting article in which major university endowment funds are investing....
https://coincodex.com/article/3418/h...ng-endowments/
governed.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #120
newtothegame

Hmmm interesting that in the Mueller report, Crypto's and Bit coin were mentioned as being used by the GRU to hack the DNC. My post here is not to rehash the hacking but the fact that crypto's and bitcoin were used kind of debunks the theory of those just being a Ponzi scheme.
governed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: