Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #31
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored View Post
A 100 year floodplain. Now you want us to buy that 2 inches of rain in two days constitutes a 100 year rain event.
Its in a Zone AE which has a much higher chance of flooding. 2" probably is not enough, would have to study it, but to make it sound like its nothing is not accurate.

2"+/- is the 100 year flood event where I live.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #32
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
2"+/- is the 100 year flood event where I live.
I knew there had to be a good reason for the Tesla Cybertruck.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #33
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
I knew there had to be a good reason for the Tesla Cybertruck.
When it rains where I am at things come to a crawl, need tanks with tracks to gets around.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #34
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Understand what you are saying about IH. The vet's had a set of rules to follow and did just that. Right now caution is the best avenue.

Canceling racing for a safety issue means the connections should move? How about the connections should be happy and supportive of the cancellation because their horses are still alive.
Next SA meet a sloppy track will be reason enough for a cancellation. Sorry, but there are states that now have a higher purse structure and more opportunities to run. If SA has a hillside turf course that is nearly unusable and a suspect main track, then running horses there is simply a losing proposition.

Obviously extreme weather rightfully warrants cancellation, but if a day’s rain with regular rainfall amounts can affect racing, then maybe SA needs to consider eliminating winter racing and have more running opportunities during the other months.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Next SA meet a sloppy track will be reason enough for a cancellation. Sorry, but there are states that now have a higher purse structure and more opportunities to run. If SA has a hillside turf course that is nearly unusable and a suspect main track, then running horses there is simply a losing proposition.

Obviously extreme weather rightfully warrants cancellation, but if a day’s rain with regular rainfall amounts can affect racing, then maybe SA needs to consider eliminating winter racing and have more running opportunities during the other months.
Do you think horsemen LIKE running on sloppy tracks?

Throughout my life, even when fields were generally larger, every time there was an off track there were tons of scratches and plenty of 5 and 6 horse fields.

So I really doubt there are a lot of horsemen who are going to say "I am going to leave Santa Anita because I *WANT* to run my horses on off tracks".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
jay68802

Two inches of rain at Del Mar is the same as the storm we are having in Neb right now. 9+ inches of snow and high winds. We would not race today. Trainers scratch all the time in wet conditions, we have seen that every where. What you will not here is the connections saying why they are shipping out. BTW it the the new rules on pain medication and lasix.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #37
GMB@BP

And Aqueduct cancelled tomorrow because of wind, not rain mind you, but wind.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
And Aqueduct cancelled tomorrow because of wind, not rain mind you, but wind.
To be fair, wind can be worst than rain.

I don't get all the teeth gnashing about cancellations. Given the state of most race cards these days, racing would be wise to stop racing in inclement weather everywhere. We don't have a race shortage, we have a horse shortage. What is the big deal for bettors if some cards gets canceled? It makes other days better. Horsemen would complain obviously, and I get some of it, but adapt or die.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #39
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post

The San Diego area gets an average of 10" of a rain a year. So 2" of rain is 20% of the yearly total.

The New York City area gets an average of 46" of rain a year. If New York got 20% of the average in one day, or 9.2" of rain, do you think they would run or cancel?
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #40
bob60566
Vancouver Island

If it means cancelling any days card that they would have horses run on Sloppy track so be it.
Another good point to the changes these tracks are implementing going forward.

Last edited by bob60566; 11-27-2019 at 07:54 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #41
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
The San Diego area gets an average of 10" of a rain a year. So 2" of rain is 20% of the yearly total.

The New York City area gets an average of 46" of rain a year. If New York got 20% of the average in one day, or 9.2" of rain, do you think they would run or cancel?

The track has a drainage system, you know.

https://www.dmtc.com/media/news/main...its-phases-342

You want to say the rest of the plant can't handle it, the streets around it will flood, that's different. But the track itself, she can handle a little rain.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #42
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

I don't get all the teeth gnashing about cancellations. Given the state of most race cards these days, racing would be wise to stop racing in inclement weather everywhere. We don't have a race shortage, we have a horse shortage. What is the big deal for bettors if some cards gets canceled? It makes other days better. Horsemen would complain obviously, and I get some of it, but adapt or die.
great points

There were some interesting plays tomorrow @ Aqueduct, but when in doubt, cancel for the safety.

I had a play last night at Remington. Thought for sure they would cancel, wind gusts 27mph on track and 30mph in the area... Paddock delay looked like a tornado swirling through... but they ran the last few races.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 AM   #43
jay68802

Quote:

Have you ever gone to the races and seen 3 or 4 cards cancelled? I have, as a bettor, I played what I could. And what makes the horsemen complain? The possible loss of $. If safety getting put first drives the horsemen away, horsemen need to rethink what they are doing. This issue is not about California racing, it is about the whole sport. The sport has catered to the horsemen for a long time now. And have ignored the the problems that this "bias" has caused. The change of this sport, in the US, has started in CA. Fewer drugs and stricter regulations are what is being done, and is needed. The customers and fans should show their support for these changes, not bitch and complain.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #44
GMB@BP

Quote:

I think its stupid that its even a discussion, but I guess thats where racing is at right now.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #45
clicknow

I remember when some Opening Days were cancelled at OP. Talk about disappointment.

We get some pretty gnarly ice storms and rain deluges in winter here. There were parts of the track that were totally washed out and needed repair before racing could resume. When it rains here, it is hardly ever gentle pitter-patter.....it's the kind where if you are driving, you may very well have to pull off the road because your wipers on highest speed simply can't keep up.
An hour or so of that, and a dirt track is going to be in pretty bad condition.

So far, in 2019, we got 64" of rain. In 2018, 71.41" around this area. That's a lot of rain.

Elmont NY got about 46" so far in 2019.

Last edited by clicknow; 11-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply