Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
ElKabong

RIP
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #17
Afleet

track condition......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............Fast

Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
airford1

airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #19
Holybull1

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
You felt the need to share you didn't like his calls?

Wow. That's some cold blooded heartless shit.
I ageee. One of the most classless post I’ve ever seen on this forum.
Holybull1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
Brass Hat

Dilanesp, I wonder if I was on that trip with your mother? My wife and I met Terry on a trip with Art Kaufman in 2007 to the Arc and a few courses in England. Maybe if you had met him you would have felt differently. He was a friendly, warm, guy with a great sense of humor. His partner at the time, Marty, shared the same characteristics, a funny and very engaging lady. She passed some years after the trip, as unfortunately did Art, and some others. Now Terry.

I always remember him howling with laughter listening to a joke told by our Scottish guide in the hotel bar in Paris the night before the race. He had a tremendous sense of humor and was a fine joke teller in his own right.

He attempted to round up a number of us for another trip to Paris after Art passed, but this was a few times in a lifetime trip for my wife and I. He went, with the British contingent and the same guide, Willie, and had a great time.

We had dinner with he and his wife Alice the night before the Oaklawn Derby that Creator won, and had a very nice time.

The fan who never met him but liked or didn't like his calls and never got a chance to spend time with him missed out meeting a unique individual, a larger than life guy who was kind and funny, that you meet too few of in a lifetime. There are a lot of great individuals in racing, unfortunately, too few of us get to see other than the professional side.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
Dilanesp, I wonder if I was on that trip with your mother? My wife and I met Terry on a trip with Art Kaufman in 2007 to the Arc and a few courses in England. Maybe if you had met him you would have felt differently. He was a friendly, warm, guy with a great sense of humor. His partner at the time, Marty, shared the same characteristics, a funny and very engaging lady. She passed some years after the trip, as unfortunately did Art, and some others. Now Terry.

I always remember him howling with laughter listening to a joke told by our Scottish guide in the hotel bar in Paris the night before the race. He had a tremendous sense of humor and was a fine joke teller in his own right.

He attempted to round up a number of us for another trip to Paris after Art passed, but this was a few times in a lifetime trip for my wife and I. He went, with the British contingent and the same guide, Willie, and had a great time.

We had dinner with he and his wife Alice the night before the Oaklawn Derby that Creator won, and had a very nice time.

The fan who never met him but liked or didn't like his calls and never got a chance to spend time with him missed out meeting a unique individual, a larger than life guy who was kind and funny, that you meet too few of in a lifetime. There are a lot of great individuals in racing, unfortunately, too few of us get to see other than the professional side.
To be clear (and I thought I was), my mother thought he was a sweetheart. I am quite sure he was.

But look, I was not a fan of his work, and I also strongly reject the idea that saying THAT is some sort of horrible disrespect of the dead. It is just a statement that I wasn't a fan. We just had a former President die. Not everyone who talked about him on TV was a fan of his presidency. I don't think that this is some grave insult nor do I think that saying THAT is remotely the same as, say, saying a person was terrible or reciting all their worst moments, which is what the actual practice of "not speaking ill of the dead" is about.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #22
Holybull1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
To be clear (and I thought I was), my mother thought he was a sweetheart. I am quite sure he was.

But look, I was not a fan of his work, and I also strongly reject the idea that saying THAT is some sort of horrible disrespect of the dead. It is just a statement that I wasn't a fan. We just had a former President die. Not everyone who talked about him on TV was a fan of his presidency. I don't think that,, this is some grave insult nor do I think that saying THAT is remotely the same as, say, saying a person was terrible or reciting all their worst moments, which is what the actual practice of "not speaking ill of the dead" is about.
You don’t think what you said was disrespectful? If my son’s college football teammate died, would you think I was an a@@hole if I went to his team messageboard right when he died and said “He was a lousy player, but my son said he was a nice guy”?
There’s no problem in going to a thread about best/worst racecaller and mentioning Wallace as one of the worst if you feel that way sometime,but any adult with common sense would know not to have disparaging remarks about someone right when they heard they died.

Last edited by Holybull1; 12-07-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Holybull1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #23
Valuist

When I think of Oaklawn, I think of Wallace. He had a definite passion for the game.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
delayjf

WOW - sad day, I cut my handicapping teeth listening to his calls at Ak-SAR-BEN. My flag is at half mast. Wallace died from complications from supernuclear palsy, which I guess is similar to Parkinson.

Last edited by delayjf; 12-08-2018 at 03:57 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
JimG

Quote:
But look, I was not a fan of his work, and I also strongly reject the idea that saying THAT is some sort of horrible disrespect of the dead.
I thought it was disrespectful as well. It was not the time (thread) to talk about whether you were a fan of his work. As an adult, if you ever dealt with death, you should know that. But hey, it's the internet. Easy to use as an excuse to be rude as you are not dealing face to face with someone.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
wisconsin

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...allace-8080735
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #27
Pigpen

He passed on the same exact date a Charles Cella.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #28
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
guy who was kind and funny
Add warm and passionate about his chosen career.....and that's pretty much EVERYTHING.

Or, at least everything I consider that *counts*.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #29
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Dude WAS Oaklawn for me growing up. So sad to see him dead

RIP
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Wasn't a fan of his work, but my mother went in a tour group with him to Paris to see the Arc and loved the guy.
You guys are being WAY TOO HARD on dilane...and I'm not a fan of dilane...

but really...what he wrote was something I've seen MANY times before when someone dies...MANY TIMES.

Why this particular instance stuck in the craw of some of you so intently this time around, is a total mystery. Words of wisdom --> LET IT GO