Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
Panamaslim94
Apprentice

This is more than I expected. I can not thank you all for your good information.
Replay Randall, how do I know which jockey agent is good at what they do?

Mr. Thaskalos-I'm guilty as charged. Love the spa. Love the number of races, the history, the prices and the everything. I guess like Belmont said I need to bet less races and more of what I am good at. I like claiming races. The higher the class the better. There is so much information in these posts my head is wondering what I need to change before the spa starts.

Someone said its harder to keep the winnings and thats so true. Been up $1000 after race 2. Then race 10 comes and trying to break even. I tried to bet $100 a race but since I start with maybe $5000 for the meet, is that too much? I hate betting $100 on 1/1 and then $20 on 20/1. I like the longshot but have heard many ways to bet the right amount of money.

Thanks for all the replies!
Panamaslim94 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaslim94 View Post
Mr. Thaskalos-I'm guilty as charged. Love the spa...
I understand. But...does the spa love you BACK? The one-way romances are painful, and they don't last long.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Someone said its harder to keep the winnings and thats so true. Been up $1000 after race 2. Then race 10 comes and trying to break even. I tried to bet $100 a race but since I start with maybe $5000 for the meet, is that too much? I hate betting $100 on 1/1 and then $20 on 20/1. I like the longshot but have heard many ways to bet the right amount of money.
One of those old racetrack sayings. Never bet a lot to win a little. Bet a little to win a lot.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #19
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I understand. But...does the spa love you BACK? The one-way romances are painful, and they don't last long.
If I'm going to go to the track, there is something about being at Saratoga that is special. I've been to a lot of racetracks, and they don't have the same feel or sensory stimulation as Saratoga.

On the other hand, if I see a good bet the track code is unimportant.

Not to be critical, but I hope the romanticism of actually enjoying a day at the track is something I never lose.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
If I'm going to go to the track, there is something about being at Saratoga that is special. I've been to a lot of racetracks, and they don't have the same feel or sensory stimulation as Saratoga.

On the other hand, if I see a good bet the track code is unimportant.

Not to be critical, but I hope the romanticism of actually enjoying a day at the track is something I never lose.
And I, in turn, am grateful that this sort of "romanticism" has never afflicted me...and I hope it never does. I've been to a number of racetracks in my life...and I honestly cannot recall any of the details which distinguish them. It's the handicapping of the RACES, and the BETS that I remember; the "ambiance" of the place adds little to my "enjoyment level".

It may be sad...but it's true.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And I, in turn, am grateful that this sort of "romanticism" has never afflicted me...and I hope it never does. I've been to a number of racetracks in my life...and I honestly cannot recall any of the details which distinguish them. It's the handicapping of the RACES, and the BETS that I remember; the "ambiance" of the place adds little to my "enjoyment level".

It may be sad...but it's true.
Fair enough.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #22
Waquoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterista View Post
bet all horses that Irad is on....
Magna Light excepted
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #23
Redhawk55

PanamaSlim, you are asking the right questions. If the high claiming races/stakes work for you, then just focus on those. All great points that other posters have made are allowing them to enjoy the races.They may work for you or they may not. The challenge of this crazy game keeps us always looking for opportunities.
Saratoga is a great getaway for anyone, horseplayer or not. I go up there every year with a buddy of mine, and he LOVES superfecta wagering. I am always on the lookout for chaos races to point him to. I know that those races I honestly will have no chance and enjoy seeing if he can hit. Just be selective and remember that once you start letting races go you become a horseplayer and not a gamber.
best of luck
Redhawk55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #24
MonmouthParkJoe

I will be up there the first full week, Whitney weekend, and Labor Day weekend. Wish I could go for the entire meet, for those six weeks there is no where else in the world I would rather be.

As for the betting, I play my pick 4s and 5s and relax. Unlike most tracks, for me it is more for the experience. If I hit something great but i also dont go crazy. Everyday I am there I get to the track about 630, claim my picnic table and set up shop. Hit the back stretch then off to breakfast at the triangle diner. Afterwards take a walk through congress park and visit the monster trout they have in the one stone basin. Takes every ounce of strength to not bring a fishing pole haha.

Walk down the main drag and check out some shops. Back when the gates open. Scratches, talking horses, a couple shandys, and take in the scenery.

I love the cigar shop in town, really nice set up. Usually bring my own and save about 50% based on their prices
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
This is more than I expected. I can not thank you all for your good information.
Replay Randall, how do I know which jockey agent is good at what they do?

Mr. Thaskalos-I'm guilty as charged. Love the spa. Love the number of races, the history, the prices and the everything. I guess like Belmont said I need to bet less races and more of what I am good at. I like claiming races. The higher the class the better. There is so much information in these posts my head is wondering what I need to change before the spa starts.

Thanks for all the replies!
Panama,

You're money management is a 'train wreck'. You need to establish three types of wagers (1) prime wagers where you have the majority of edges in a race and this must always include value, then you wager 5% of your bank as a guideline. You do not want to wager more then this figure as any horse can lose. (2)Less then prime wagers you can scale down to 1 or 2% of your established bank (3) Action wagers where you take a couple of dollars for a riskier exotic combo or such but only a couple of dollars.

Myself, I don't believe in action wagers as I know, for certain I am not profitable with these bets so I stick to the aforementioned two. REMEMBER QUALITY OVER QUATITY as your approach to wagering make sure you have a confident wager when you go to the windows because betting without this positive attitude and looking for a hunch, or chance or maybe is a recipe for disaster in the long-term in any gambling forum.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #26
Waquoit

New main track composition

I've read that they have mixed more clay into the main track this year. What does anyone think? Is this something, nothing or a little something? Does it render all my par time prep work moot?
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Long time horseplayer, since I saw Zenyatta in person at Oaklawn but long sufferer at the windows.

Love the game.Have had ups and downs. Love the Spa as I take month long vacation in August but admittedly I run out of cash before the vacation ends.

Here to seek some advice of the resident handicappers. Without giving away your secrets to being successful at this game, what are 2 things I can start doing and 2 things to never do????

I'm tired of not enjoying a game I love ! Not a super tech savvy guy so not looking for quick computer answers. Looking for wisdom.

In return I'm good for a story or two...

Thanks
Quote:

Hey Slim

Lot's of ways to enjoy this game.

based on what I've read in this thread, here goes:

1. First and foremost be a fan and a spectator. Sink your teeth into the meat and potatoes of the races. Handicap the races. Go on the NYRA website (and/or app), and check in about an hour early to follow along with the handicapping show. Get into the sport itself and have fun with it.

2. When you are just messing around, and want some action on a race where nothing really jumps out at you: $24 on a Trifecta or Pick-3.

3. Be patient, and when you are following along with the sport, and see something really special: $50-$100 Win, or your usual wager style.

Would love to hear some of those stories!

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #28
Nitro

Quote:
Long time horseplayer, since I saw Zenyatta in person at Oaklawn but long sufferer at the windows.

Love the game.Have had ups and downs. Love the Spa as I take month long vacation in August but admittedly I run out of cash before the vacation ends.

Here to seek some advice of the resident handicappers.
Without giving away your secrets to being successful at this game, what are 2 things I can start doing
and 2 things to never do????

I'm tired of not enjoying a game I love ! Not a super tech savvy guy so not looking for quick computer answers. Looking for wisdom.

In return I'm good for a story or two...

Thanks
Based on your criteria of being a “resident handicapper” I won’t qualify because I stopped the handicapping many years ago. It’s no secret that my only source of objective information for playing this game is derived from the tote board. I don’t look for Winners per se. I look for making Winning plays by using the contenders provided from an in-depth tote analysis.

So even if you do handicap, I would naturally suggest that to improve your game just pay more attention to the tote board. I realize that you can’t analyze all the betting activities, but it doesn’t take a genius to see a live horse when even just the odds are changing dramatically (especially in Maiden races).

Humble yourself to realize that you’re an “Outsider” playing an “Insider’s” game.
Saratoga is more unique than other tracks because the amount of money being wagered has a significantly greater volume. I mention this only because it takes A LOT more money to change those odds even a small amount when the WIN pool is much larger. These changes don’t occur from a bunch of $2 bettors.

My other suggestion would be to visit the Walking Ring where the horses can be examined before the race. Saratoga has it set up real nice, so that you can get up close. If you can recognize and interpret the typical pre-race physicality traits of the horses, it can only add more objective information to your decisions about playing certain entries.

Neither suggestion requires being "tech savvy", and as far as I'm concerned is more valuable than anything gained from subjective interpretations of the past performances.

GL @ the SPA
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #29
jay68802

To me, the Spa is a meet that a lot of trainers make it a focus to have their horses ready for. The big name trainers are obvious and will bet by the public. I have always looked for the lesser known trainers who appear to have used Belmont or other tracks as prep races for this meet. George Weaver, Carlos Martin, Richard Violette, Mark Henning, are a few of my favorites.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #30
jay68802

A good example is in today's 4th at Belmont. Mark Henning has the #5 Cartwheel. The horse has a work at 5f in a minute, a slower work, gets a race into the horse. He will give the horse 1 or 2 more works and try to win at the Spa with it.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply