Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #16
green80

what is used for the numerator and denomonator?
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
Ghostzapper04

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
what is used for the numerator and denomonator?
I set the denominator to 1 for every horse. Thus, a horse that's 10:1, should have a numerator of 10 and a denominator of 1.
Ghostzapper04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
JoeLong

There are three books I'd recommend reading in search of odds-line calculation.

1). Thoroughbred Handicapping as an Investment - Dick Mitchel
2). Money Secrets at the Racetrack - Barry Meadow
3). The Four Quarters of Horse Investing - Steve Fierro

After reading and understanding these publications you will discover what goes into building a credible rating system or odds-line.

After years of trying to perfect an odds-line I have come to the conclusion that the Four Quarters approach to odds-line construction is about as good as it gets. Couple that with Barry Meadow's Win Bet Chart and you have a viable means to attack racing from a edge/odds probability window of your own making.
JoeLong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #19
Ghostzapper04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLong
There are three books I'd recommend reading in search of odds-line calculation.

1). Thoroughbred Handicapping as an Investment - Dick Mitchel
2). Money Secrets at the Racetrack - Barry Meadow
3). The Four Quarters of Horse Investing - Steve Fierro

After reading and understanding these publications you will discover what goes into building a credible rating system or odds-line.

After years of trying to perfect an odds-line I have come to the conclusion that the Four Quarters approach to odds-line construction is about as good as it gets. Couple that with Barry Meadow's Win Bet Chart and you have a viable means to attack racing from a edge/odds probability window of your own making.
Thanks for the advice; going to read these.
Ghostzapper04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #20
Capper Al

All rubbish! By definition, if one could nail an odds line they would be rich. All they need to do is bet on horses with post time odds above their line. It would be like getting 6/1 odds on a roll of a die. One could be certain with a fair die that in the long run they would come out ahead. If they are not rich then it's rubbish.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #21
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I agree, odds lines are only as good as their long term results. The odds maker must, consistently, know how the horse compares to all the others in the race, and if the horse will demonstrate that edge today. Nobody knows that, all the time! But, the astute odds maker, who concentrates on the long term, can make long term profit, even if his line is not perfect in individual races. Individual races, and individual race lines, mean little to the long term. It's all about "consistently being good enough" to mean something long term.

Alas, I have never seen or heard of an odds maker who has a good enough line to bet it all the time, and make long term profit from doing so.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
Frankie D

great thread worth the bump.

It comes down to what is revealed and suggested by Raybo. Edge has to be on horses properly modeled into the betting line odds
Frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #23
DeltaLover

Don't bother with probability estimates; something like this is not only impossible but also even if you had a magic way to estimate the "real" win probabilities it would have been useless for betting purposes as the market offered odds are not known until the end of the race.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:57 AM   #24
The Judge

The Odds Are On Your Side

This is as good a book on odds making as there is. I must admit I'm a fan of the author Mark Cramer.

I think it was by Cynthia Publishing Dick Mitchell's old company.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That was a good book. I got if for a lot less than it's going for nowadays!

He also wrote Value Handicapping about making an odds line.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #26
Frankie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
Don't bother with probability estimates; something like this is not only impossible but also even if you had a magic way to estimate the "real" win probabilities it would have been useless for betting purposes as the market offered odds are not known until the end of the race.
So, the end result of placing bets on overlays is still the goal. What do you suggest?

The way I see it you have a few choices:

- add in the takeout and a inaccuracy cushion/margin, and live with the results and come out in the long run?

- do extensive research to see the relative strengths of the various factors you use to select main contenders, and live with the slightly more refined odds line?

- set arbitrarily high estimates with a chance to get skilled at it?

What do you think?

The level of accuracy that MAY BE ATTAINED depends heavily on the accuracy of your selection process and establishing relative strength down the program/card...
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #27
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie D View Post
So, the end result of placing bets on overlays is still the goal.
Placing bets on overlays is a property of a betting strategy; a bettor begins with the conjecture that his approach possesses it and tries to refute it by placing bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie D View Post
- add in the takeout and a inaccuracy cushion/margin, and live with the results and come out in the long run?
This seems like what some people claim to do. After they realize that trying to match estimated against offered prices does not work, they come up with ad-hoc modifications of their theories (like for example projecting final price). Doing so only, restates the problem adding a new challenge, the same will be repeated later after falsification with a new target an so on.

This reality that horse bettors refuse to accept, is that the game, as it has become in Northern America, can very well be impossible to beat in a consistent fashion.

Data analysis ignorance,combined with wishful thinking and gambling addiction are the main factors that keep the fallacious hopes of horse bettors alive while rejecting the factual data that point to the other direction.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
Frankie D

Quote:
This seems like what some people claim to do. After they realize that trying to match estimated against offered prices does not work, they come up with ad-hoc modifications of their theories (like for example projecting final price). Doing so only, restates the problem adding a new challenge, the same will be repeated later after falsification with a new target an so on.
this glosses over my point of learning true contender selection and relative ranking of effective factors.

Quote:
This reality that horse bettors refuse to accept, is that the game, as it has become in Northern America, can very well be impossible to beat in a consistent fashion.

Data analysis ignorance,combined with wishful thinking and gambling addiction are the main factors that keep the fallacious hopes of horse bettors alive while rejecting the factual data that point to the other direction.
The list of unicorn fallacies does not necessarily apply in my experience. I have always considered that an answer to finding true and predictable overlays can be found.

Some percentage of players, and it obviously a small number, does rise past wishful thinking and self told lies to the discipline required to discover an individual framework that can become successful. That possibility is from where I pose these odds line questions.

I think your first sentence gives a hint of the solution. Simply presume finding that "property" and incorporate it.

"Placing bets on overlays is a property of a betting strategy; a bettor begins with the conjecture that his approach possesses it and tries to refute it by placing bets"
Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #29
acorn54

in todays reality at n.a. racetracks it is more the norm than the exception that on any day, (with most exceptions, in larger, competitive fields on weekends in fair weather), you get a parade of chalk, or low-end payouts, below 9/2. what isn't factored into a capper's attempt at fair price is dime breakage, which at longer priced payoffs can more or less be written off, however at the typical payoffs of today can easily turn a player from a winner to a loser.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply