Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #2266
TrifectaBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Scott, that was Braulio's father.

Only a slightly worse error than responding to some clown that can't even spell his board name correctly ( along with the irony of it suggesting he's a high level teacher ).

Im sure many people are confused about this, its rarely mentioned that its the son, and long time players could easily think its the rider.
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #2267
ScottJ

After listening to Dave Grening's interview on Steve Byk's radio show from Monday, December 18th, you have further documentation that Baeza must be made accountable for this decision in Saturday's Race 9.

As described by Grening, Baeza's voice is louder than the others in the steward's stand and it is widely known that his decision dominates. If so, this is more evidence that Baeza must lose his job as a steward on this circuit and therefore removed from this job once and for all. As Byk said, the fish stinks from the head down.

Byk discussed the undermining of player confidence as a result of this decision and the frequency of others like it on the NYRA circuit. The word egregious was used on multiple occasions in the interview by both parties. Grening weighed in that bettors will stop buying the product and this is particularly true at this time of year when bettors are looking at a broader diversity of circuits.

Note that Grening did report that Brook Hawkins was not in the stand on Saturday (vacation) and Juan Dominguez was standing in for him.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #2268
ScottJ

Quote from Richard Migliore during his interview with Steve Byk on Monday, December 18th : When asked by a boxing review committee colleague, "how often does the State Gaming Commission convene to look at Steward's Decisions and how things are adjudicated?", Migliore responded, "As for as I know, I am not aware of it, I do not know that they do."
Old 12-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #2269
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
After listening to Dave Grening's interview on Steve Byk's radio show from Monday, December 18th, you have further documentation that Baeza must be made accountable for this decision in Saturday's Race 9.

As described by Grening, Baeza's voice is louder than the others in the steward's stand and it is widely known that his decision dominates. If so, this is more evidence that Baeza must lose his job as a steward on this circuit and therefore removed from this job once and for all. As Byk said, the fish stinks from the head down.

Byk discussed the undermining of player confidence as a result of this decision and the frequency of others like it on the NYRA circuit. The word egregious was used on multiple occasions in the interview by both parties. Grening weighed in that bettors will stop buying the product and this is particularly true at this time of year when bettors are looking at a broader diversity of circuits.

Note that Grening did report that Brook Hawkins was not in the stand on Saturday (vacation) and Juan Dominguez was standing in for him.
Sure, he has to go, but so do others that so easily capitulate to his will. They don't work for him, nor for his bosses.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #2270
paulbenny

Anyone who is inside the NYRA payroll or part of the team involved with the daily activity of the business, including Richard Migliore who appears to be a nice person, which is not an automatic for anyone, is never, and or rarely going to tell the absolute truth for self-preservation purposes. I am not into replay watching as much as the people here but I have to admit it was a pathetic call on behalf of the Stewards. It was appalling quite frankly. I can reference two big corporations, working for NYRA nine summers as a supplement to my hobby, and in summation, NYRA is not run efficiently or effectively. The add-on of not getting fundamental things right not P&L but related to something regarding the integrity of a race outcome lends further support to a need to clean this mess up. This people are dinosaurs and that is why HISA may make sense, because something has to be done.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 12:01 PM   #2271
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #2272
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
The add-on of not getting fundamental things right not P&L but related to something regarding the integrity of a race outcome lends further support to a need to clean this mess up. This people are dinosaurs and that is why HISA may make sense, because something has to be done.
Yet this most basic of integrity issues -fair and impartial stewarding of races - is outside the purview of the Horseracing INTEGRITY and Safety Authority.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #2273
Someday Silent

About those NYSS stakes races on Saturday— all respect to Maggie Wolfendale on the NYRA broadcast. I would’ve lost my shit if I were one of The Big Torpedo’s connections.

Meanwhile, Rudy Rodriguez reminded me why I’m a fan of horses instead of people. He lodged a ludicrous trainer objection against the fillies’s division winner for “interference”, then his horse stays up after causing a near train wreck. Whose gonads does he have in a sling?
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 08:06 PM   #2274
Robert Fischer
clean money

they need a 'David Arigona' or someone who just understands trip handicapping to rule on these races. Better yet act as a 'central office' and make all the calls.
Let the stewards do the many other steward responsibilities.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:37 PM   #2275
IamNewt

If you don't believe graft comes into play when horse racing, New York, and money are combined, you're very naive.
IamNewt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #2276
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Let me say first, thank you for responding. My response is not personal, but underscores your presented argument as weak stewardship.

Your job as a steward is to adjudicate the rules and use the video evidence of the "actual plays", the race itself, to determine if the rules were violated. That's it. No where in that remit does a conversation with a jockey alter the rules or the video evidence.

What is most bothersome is that a built-in bias is introduced in jockey conversations where the steward's might offer more support to a case offered by a jockey in the steward's native language - for example.

If you want to use that information to determine jockey penalties the next day, fine, but that is not what the placing decision should involve.

Stop offering the "it's a tough job" defense. You took the damned job and you cash the paycheck. How can you play the "clock is ticking" card? Football, hockey, baseball, and basketball can all manage to get video reviews completed inside 3 minutes on equally complex rules decisions; that involves typically interfacing with a remote video crew. These NYRA stewards had 15 minutes to get it right and missed - twice.

This demonstrates your waffling in the steward's stand which shows us, the betting public, that you actually do not understand the rules which you are adjudicating.
Nonsense

Nonsense

Total nonsense.

I could explain again. But what's the use?
Old 12-22-2023, 08:24 AM   #2277
Robert Fischer
clean money

I've seen enough.

If they aren't corrupt, they are inept.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-22-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #2278
ScottJ

Of all the photos to have labeled correctly as an offer of evidence, wouldn't this one have been pretty high on the priority list? While Junior Alvarado might have accepted his three-day penalty without appeal, his tweet in response to this thread was almost comical.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:10 PM   #2279
ScottJ

Suddenly, sunlight was not available frame-to-frame. All we need to do is count the harrow lines, but alas, clouds descended in Ozone Park at just the wrong time. What bad luck, eh?

Just fire the entire group of stewards and start again to restore public confidence. The NYSGC is defending the indefensible.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:30 PM   #2280
ScottJ

I have looked at these images over the last 15 minutes - the length of the original inquiry. I can clearly count approximately 30 harrow rows from Brick Ambush to the inner rail on multiple screen shots.