Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Is it PA, or Microsoft, or something else

I have problems when posting on PA. The keyboard will freeze and remain frozen for anywhere from a few seconds to a minute. When it comes back the keys I hit after the freeze will echo but not in the order I hit them. Blank spaces are not where I intended, e.g., I intended to type "Pace Ratings" but I get "PaceR atings". Another thing that happens frequently is that the cursor jumps to another part of the page and my text gets inserted into stuff I've already typed.

I've taken the comput (it just happened again) er to the Geek Squad and they say the problem is that the computer is too slow and does not have enough memory. It's a refurbished Aspire One 11, 2GB Ram, 32GB drive. But it only started recently and only seems to happen when I'm posting here. It started immediately after a Windows 10 update so I kind of suspect Microsoft. I'm willing to buy a newer computer but I'd hate to spend that money and then find that I still have the problem.

Does anyone else have the same problem?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I have problems when posting on PA. The keyboard will freeze and remain frozen for anywhere from a few seconds to a minute. When it comes back the keys I hit after the freeze will echo but not in the order I hit them. Blank spaces are not where I intended, e.g., I intended to type "Pace Ratings" but I get "PaceR atings". Another thing that happens frequently is that the cursor jumps to another part of the page and my text gets inserted into stuff I've already typed.

I've taken the comput (it just happened again) er to the Geek Squad and they say the problem is that the computer is too slow and does not have enough memory. It's a refurbished Aspire One 11, 2GB Ram, 32GB drive. But it only started recently and only seems to happen when I'm posting here. It started immediately after a Windows 10 update so I kind of suspect Microsoft. I'm willing to buy a newer computer but I'd hate to spend that money and then find that I still have the problem.

It could be your ISP slowing down your bandwidth speed. And this isn't a stretch ever since 'Net Neutrality' has been the hot topic these past few days.

I have experienced this slowing down too the past few days. I immediately suspected the ISP.

Next time it happens, try this ... just re-start your computer. If the page or screen is froze, then do ctrl-alt-del and shut down. Come back fast, in just a minute or two, and put your computer back on. I did this the two times my computer froze and for some reason for which I cannot explained, it worked!

My d-load speed was back to normal.... good luck.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

2 gigs of ram?

Get a new computer with at least 8 megs of ram
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
tupper

First of all, it is probably best to avoid the Geek Squad and the "Genius" Bar. They are not that knowledgeable and experienced, and they are generally interested in generating a profit for themselves.

Your hardware specs are fine. Unless there is something wrong with your hardware, it is either a software problem (malware, dns settings, browser settings, etc.) or an uncontrollable network problem (as one poster has already suggested).

It is very easy to test whether or not it is a hardware/software problem, simply by booting a live USB (or live CD/DVD) and directing the browser to PA. If everything works smoothly with the fresh live OS, then the problem is your installed software.

Also, having a live USB/CD/DVD handy can save the day, when your computer has severe Windows/virus/malware problems.

The only minor difficulty is in creating the live medium and in getting your computer to boot from it. However, this process is so simple that, once you have done it, it instantly becomes second nature.

If you want to try booting such a live OS, I would suggest starting out with a small, snappy one, such as Slitaz Linux, Antix Linux or Puppy Linux. Their interfaces might look a little dated, but they put a lot of functionality into a small, speedy package. Try the more modern, robust looking live OSs later.

Last edited by tupper; 12-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

I don't know what it is, but in the past 6 months or more Firefox has seemed to slowed and Internet Explorer has actually gotten faster.
Perhaps experimenting with different browsers would help. Also Fast.Com will instantly give you your internet speed ruling out any issue there with your provider.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post

Based on its specs it is not a surprise that your computer is slow and sluggish (especially for running windows); my advice is to consider buying a better one and also to get rid of Window$ replacing it with some linux distro.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
Based on its specs it is not a surprise that your computer is slow and sluggish (especially for running windows); my advice is to consider buying a better one and also to get rid of Window$ replacing it with some linux distro.
I bought a MacBook Air, 8GB memory, 120GB drive.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

iPads are great
Old 12-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
wilderness

Hey Ralph,
May sound absurd, however take a look at your mouse.
Remove the ball and see if the small rods and roller wheel are full of dirt and other debris. I use a pocket knife to clean, however you need to be careful not to scratch.
Also look at the tqo small rectangular pads (usually white) and see if they have debris build up.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ever since Rectum took over from TWC, the internet has sucked, purposely by the people at Rectum, as an employee told me. IF you are using them expect crap for service.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #11
wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
2 gigs of ram?

Get a new computer with at least 8 megs of ram
Not that it really matters, however memory options are restricted to the OS, CPU and motherboard.

I'm using XP32 on what was at the time a top of line HP and it the Max memory is four meg.

I've an XP64 with an early Quad and don't believe that motherboard even offered 8meg for memory.

In some of the early machines, 2meg is excess for most general users.

Later OS and CPU's changed all that.

BTW, my XP32 on what was at the time a top of line HP and it the Max memory of four meg, outperforms the Quad-core with XP64.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Ever since Rectum took over from TWC, the internet has sucked, purposely by the people at Rectum, as an employee told me. IF you are using them expect crap for service.
Rectum? Damn near killed 'em!
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: