Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
pandy

American Turf?

A friend of mine asked me if American Turf Monthly is still publishing. According to their website, it looks like their last digital issue was in December. Does anyone have a subscription?
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
A friend of mine asked me if American Turf Monthly is still publishing. According to their website, it looks like their last digital issue was in December. Does anyone have a subscription?
Their last digital issue was December. I remember getting aan email saying if you had time left on your subsscription, it would be applied to the American Turf Club newsletter
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is sad to hear. I loved that magazine over the years. Used to to look forward to finding it in the mailbox every month.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is sad to hear. I loved that magazine over the years. Used to to look forward to finding it in the mailbox every month.
Well, I guess I am one of the reasons they went under as I used to look forward to finding it in the library every month.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
BELMONT 6-6-09

In the early 80's i used to visit their office 505 8th avenue and buy old back issues of ATM and read them with much intensity on the Long Island railroad. those were the good days especially reading Ray Taulbot articles.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
HalvOnHorseracing

I used to read ATM like it was one of the Dead Sea Scrolls before I was a real player. I wrote a bunch of stuff for them in the 90's when Richard Bomze was at the helm.

One time I sent in an article and got it back a week later. There were a couple red marks on the first page but the rest of the article was clean. The was a note attached from Bomze. It said, "I started to edit it, but then I realized it was shit."

Funniest comment I ever got, and the only thing I did in my career that was rejected. I've published in multiple magazines, and I even have a chapter in a college text book and never got that comment, but that was Bomze.

I read the Horses to Watch column religiously. I swear they were 50% with plenty of long shots.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Maybe the saddest part is that they ceased publication 5 months ago and it didn't get a mention until now.

This is a difficult industry for publications.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #8
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09 View Post
In the early 80's i used to visit their office 505 8th avenue and buy old back issues of ATM and read them with much intensity on the Long Island railroad. those were the good days especially reading Ray Taulbot articles.
That's a cool memory. Had many a bus rides back in the day reading the dream!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Maybe the saddest part is that they ceased publication 5 months ago and it didn't get a mention until now.

This is a difficult industry for publications.
I love getting stuff by mail too Dave. It's fun and I love to look at print not screen.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
AskinHaskin

Part of the nostalgia from racing's good old days.

I remember how improbable it was that the KY Derby preview edition would ever reach the newsstands by Derby day.

And how they always presented Ray Taulbot as if he were alive, when he died in 1969.

And the Horses to Watch lists that were harvested from various guys dotted around the continent who were made to send-in their lists months in advance (making it nearly certain that some name on a list from some corner of the continent would pay $157.40 to win so it could be championed on the cover of an issue {months later}).

The systems... the systems... they were an early intro, comprised of stuff you could actually find in DRF lines of the day, and you need only have applied each step to arrive at the proper conclusion.

Some of the racing coverage was fab... and they too kept old stories alive (from 30 or 40 years prior).

But their product distribution completely sucked, and nobody on the inside ever made much effort to improve anything. Computers hitting the mainstream probably did them in as much as anything, for now anybody can collect vast amounts of raw data and create their own betting system. While there are touts everywhere online now. But those were the good old days.

I just googled the name of my most-remembered old system from ATM and found this link: (it was the ONLY 'hit' online using the name of said system)

https://www.americanturf.com/pdf/master1.pdf

(heaven knows what some column called "Those Wonderful Days" (about "Racing History") would have been about in 1957!! )

But if somebody were producing a horse racing movie of old times, surely the names and words written at the above link would help to get anybody into character.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
Aner

Your post jogged my memory. For the first couple of years after I retired I attended the races at Golden Gate Fields every day. In those days the only betting available was on the races being carded - no simulcast, no on-line betting.

I recorded bandage information on all the horses that run in the spring meet, and calculated how they did. As I recall, front bandages were a negative, but hind bandages were neutral. I complied the data , drew conclusions and sent it in to American Turf Monthly.

I was surprised to find the article in that extensive index. It was "Bandages: A Handicapper's Sore Spot" published May, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Part of the nostalgia from racing's good old days.

I remember how improbable it was that the KY Derby preview edition would ever reach the newsstands by Derby day.

And how they always presented Ray Taulbot as if he were alive, when he died in 1969.

And the Horses to Watch lists that were harvested from various guys dotted around the continent who were made to send-in their lists months in advance (making it nearly certain that some name on a list from some corner of the continent would pay $157.40 to win so it could be championed on the cover of an issue {months later}).

The systems... the systems... they were an early intro, comprised of stuff you could actually find in DRF lines of the day, and you need only have applied each step to arrive at the proper conclusion.

Some of the racing coverage was fab... and they too kept old stories alive (from 30 or 40 years prior).

But their product distribution completely sucked, and nobody on the inside ever made much effort to improve anything. Computers hitting the mainstream probably did them in as much as anything, for now anybody can collect vast amounts of raw data and create their own betting system. While there are touts everywhere online now. But those were the good old days.

I just googled the name of my most-remembered old system from ATM and found this link: (it was the ONLY 'hit' online using the name of said system)

https://www.americanturf.com/pdf/master1.pdf

(heaven knows what some column called "Those Wonderful Days" (about "Racing History") would have been about in 1957!! )

But if somebody were producing a horse racing movie of old times, surely the names and words written at the above link would help to get anybody into character.

― John Pfeiffer
Aner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post

But their product distribution completely sucked, and nobody on the inside ever made much effort to improve anything.
It's the same with the rest of the industry. With the exception of the pharmacists, horses are trained the same way they were in the 1950's or earlier. With a few exceptions, track management has done virtually nothing to draw new customers. The tote system is still running on pre-2000 software --- that with a hardware and network infrastructure that could support real-time. And there is ZERO reason that payouts can't be to the penny for online and brick-and-mortar voucher systems, other than the greed of wanting the breakage.

But this has already been hashed and rehashed thousands of times.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
lefty359

Very Sad

Very Sad. I picked up my first issue back in the 50's and was enthralled. I wrote a few articles for them in the 60's. Sorry to see them go.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
HalvOnHorseracing

Is there anybody who didn't write an article for ATM? LOL

I don't remember how many I wrote for them, but I always thought it was cool to see your name in print.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
pandy

I wrote a lot of articles on thoroughbred handicapping for ATM, and then I had a regular harness racing column until they stopped the print edition. They had some good editors, good guys.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: