Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

NOTE TAKING HELP NEEDED

My software is pretty much finished under the hood but am now working on output.

However, there is one last feature I need help with: NOTE TAKING.

Anything you can suggest or offer would be appreciated.

1. Do you take notes either by hand or in software?

2. Do you have knowledge of software with really good note-taking features?

3. What features would you like to see in software for note taking?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
paulbenny

Software That Recognizes Words and Reflects Typing

Dave, I am sure that there are methods out there to let you speak and it will type what you speak.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
Dave, I am sure that there are methods out there to let you speak and it will type what you speak.
Thank you.

Not so much about getting notes in, but about organizing notes.

What notes do you want to keep?

Jockey
Trainer
Race
Horse
Pace

Etc.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:24 PM   #4
paulbenny

I need to sleep on this. I take it very seriously and while I do not post much, I want to give it some thought.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:34 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I need to sleep on this. I take it very seriously and while I do not post much, I want to give it some thought.
Thank you.
I appreciate that.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:50 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Equisim has note taking for every race.

Load the bris/drf file........click an icon for summary notes

this page loads. It maintains the notes when you reload the card later.

truthfully,,,,,,,,,,, I have rarely used it in 20 yrs of using the software.........

but you asked.....the background color is up to the user

Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq_comments_page.jpg (175.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-27-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Equisim has note taking for every race.

Load the bris/drf file........click an icon for summary notes

this page loads. It maintains the notes when you reload the card later.

truthfully,,,,,,,,,,, I have rarely used it in 20 yrs of using the software.........

but you asked.....the background color is up to the user
That's an example of what I'm looking for.

I know there are people who make notes on lots of stuff:

Pace of Race
Their own picks
Trip notes
Jockeys
trainer tendencies

I think I've got to understand these things
1) What people want to put in.
2) How people expect to get that out.
3) How to tie things together.

I've been studying how ChatGPT stores data - using "tokens."

May find some answers there.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #8
jay68802

I want notes to show up on the "main" screen I use for handicapping. What the note is does not matter. I use two types of notes. One is about the race in general, should show up for every horse that came out of that race. Like a note that says 5 E 6 + in the race, or no speed. Then there are individual horse notes. What I saw about a particular horse in a race. These notes should show up for that particular horse. Notes such as "idiot did not go to the lead".
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2023, 10:36 AM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I want notes to show up on the "main" screen I use for handicapping. What the note is does not matter. I use two types of notes. One is about the race in general, should show up for every horse that came out of that race. Like a note that says 5 E 6 + in the race, or no speed. Then there are individual horse notes. What I saw about a particular horse in a race. These notes should show up for that particular horse. Notes such as "idiot did not go to the lead".
Now we're really getting somewhere.

Would you also use notes about jockeys, trainers, trips, etc?

What about your own handicapping and betting assessments?
Old 08-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #10
paulbenny

A GENERAL THOUGHT

As Jim the Hat Bradshaw stated in his book on the Matchup, etc each race is unique. I think I would certainly want to know what I write about in a combined fashion;

-for the last 10 starts that show, or even going deeper, how many runners in the race that day are in the money, in the money at the distance if they ran it, and the number of total runners who had a lead at the second call out of the total number of races that are being considered.

I want to know the type of horses we have in terms of what they have done in the past or recent past.

The standard number I use is 10 because that is what is readily available at the second call.

This allows me to get a sense of what is going to go on in terms of the herd instinct of the runners along with their ability to cash a check in the top three both overall and at the distance as a background for the race.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
As Jim the Hat Bradshaw stated in his book on the Matchup, etc each race is unique. I think I would certainly want to know what I write about in a combined fashion;

-for the last 10 starts that show, or even going deeper, how many runners in the race that day are in the money, in the money at the distance if they ran it, and the number of total runners who had a lead at the second call out of the total number of races that are being considered.

I want to know the type of horses we have in terms of what they have done in the past or recent past.

The standard number I use is 10 because that is what is readily available at the second call.

This allows me to get a sense of what is going to go on in terms of the herd instinct of the runners along with their ability to cash a check in the top three both overall and at the distance as a background for the race.
These are meant to be personal notes that you take.
You would actually enter all this stuff by hand?
Old 08-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #12
jay68802

Not really into jockeys and trainer notes, but I could see someone wanting that. Betting, I think is probably separate.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #13
classhandicapper

My notes contain the computer calculated expected pace pressure based on the running styles in the race, how the race flowed based on a chart analysis, my subjective notes on how the race flowed after evaluating both those and TimeformUS pace figures, my subjective bias note for race card, a computer calculated class rating and the Beyer Par for Graded Stakes races, and any trip notes I made from the replay. All the computer generated notes are imported in Formulator easily. Anything subjective is entered manually by me.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #14
paulbenny

Well, yes. I am providing a background for the race in summary then I would look in detail at the PPs. I have a worksheet I use that is filled out. For 10 horse it takes maybe five minutes tops. It would be a race summary background.

Dave, I do write a column weekly and I do this so I set the stage. I do not mean to say I am right, but I do this for those races I write up.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:28 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE!

BTW, anybody who has something useful to add who would prefer to do it in a call would be welcome to do so. Just write to me so we can find a good time.

My new software is finished under the hood but now I am working on getting the actual user interface together. The two things that are foremost on my agenda are PERSONAL NOTES and a very advanced TICKET WRITER.

Jay,

Would you ever consider notes that tracked "how you felt about a particular race or bet?"
Example:
Confidence level
5=Excellent
4=Good
3=Average
2=Fair
1=Poor
0=No clue

Questions
(all on this 0 to 5 score)

Early Pace:
How much 1st call pressure?
Winner will be early?
Winner will be late?

Odds
Fav is beatable?
Longshot race?

These are not great words, and the list could go on and on, but things like this could serve multiple purposes, such as model building from comments and also learning.

Thoughts?
Well, yes. I am providing a background for the race in summary then I would look in detail at the PPs. I have a worksheet I use that is filled out. For 10 horse it takes maybe five minutes tops. It would be a race summary background.

Dave, I do write a column weekly and I do this so I set the stage. I do not mean to say I am right, but I do this for those races I write up.
Paul, that's excellent.
Sounds like a lot of work.
Do you have some kind of shorthand to make it easier or is everything type/dictated?

BTW, do you publish a column?
My notes contain the computer calculated expected pace pressure based on the running styles in the race, how the race flowed based on a chart analysis, my subjective notes on how the race flowed after evaluating both those and TimeformUS pace figures, my subjective bias note for race card, a computer calculated class rating and the Beyer Par for Graded Stakes races, and any trip notes I made from the replay. All the computer generated notes are imported in Formulator easily. Anything subjective is entered manually by me.
Classie,

So, you like the computer generated notes for each race.
Do the CompGen notes actually become part of your notes?
If so, how is that done? Copy/paste or something else?

Do the CompGen show with your personal notes?
Do you do anything special when you disagree with CompGen?

Please help me to understand the flow as best as possible.