Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #181
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I doubt it...it takes money to run DNA tests...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #182
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It appears the Jockey Club does require DNA at time of registration (mane hair).

I too figured running DNA tests would be prohibitively expensive, but someone posted on another site last night that the cost was around $90 through the JC. I found an independent service that charges $38.

https://vetdnacenter.com/dna-tests/e...dna-profiling/

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #183
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yeah, I know they aren't riding, but I believe the were charged with a crime and maybe even indicted. Haven't heard anything in while though.
Haven't seen the Conyers kid around town, but the Patin brothers are galloping at local farms and breaking yearlings. Have no idea what happened with the criminal end of the situation.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #184
jay68802

The criminal part of their situation is either still pending or is not being followed up on. The only information that I can find is that they were facing charges.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #185
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I think that that part of it could be overcome.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #186
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Trying to make sense of the registration/ownership in La. is like trying to untangle a backlash on a bait-casting fishing reel.

Three of the first 24 Delta horses rescued this week were bred by Danny Brown, Brown's Thoroughbred Farm.

Equibase shows the owner of one of those, MY REVENGE, as Agular Stables. Equibase shows Agular Stables having only one horse, My Revenge, which last raced in 2013.

However, the horse's most current registration was mailed to Danny Brown...so, if Agular Stables sold the horse back to Danny Brown, why is this not reflected on Equibase?

I'm still trying to understand the "paper owner" deal. And this looks like it might be one, at least to me. Maybe there's a legitimate explanation. I don't know.
What do you mean about the horse's most current registration? There's only one registration, which is at birth. Any notation on who the papers were sent to are for that horse at birth (most often sent to where the mare is boarded as they're usually the ones who pull the hair and fill out the registration forms for themselves or their clients).
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #187
Parson

as an owner, to the best of my knowledge, none of the horses we have registered have had to have DNA. However, we have only purchased 2 yr olds and yearlings. We have never bred so the registration has been completed when we come into the picture.

Not sure exactly how it works, but the registration must be accurate at time of entry. I just went in on half of a horse that ran yesterday in LA. My name was left out of the program because we bought him privately and there was not enough time to send the papers to me here in KY and send them back to LA in time for the entry date of yesterday's race.

Last edited by Parson; 03-22-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #188
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
as an owner, to the best of my knowledge, none of the horses we have registered have had to have DNA. However, we have only purchased 2 yr olds and yearlings. We have never bred so the registration has been completed when we come into the picture.
All are DNA tested, which is done to get registration, so yes, it was done by the breeder of the horses you purchased.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #189
Parson

I figured as much. I would like to try and breed one or two in a few years, but that will have to wait.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #190
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
What do you mean about the horse's most current registration? There's only one registration, which is at birth. Any notation on who the papers were sent to are for that horse at birth (most often sent to where the mare is boarded as they're usually the ones who pull the hair and fill out the registration forms for themselves or their clients).
Yes, I think it was the original registration that was mailed to Brown. Yet the owner is listed as another party. From what I gather, the breeder is claiming to not be involved with racing, only breeding, yet Equibase lists him as owner of 4 horses that have run 5 races in 2018, 2@DED and 3@FG. Trying to figure that one out.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #191
Mulerider

Today's statement from NTWO

From Rick Porter's new organization:

"It's been a few weeks since the announcement of the formation of our organization, so we want to update on what we've been doing.

First, we are thrilled with the people we are putting into our organization. Ecstatic, really. We weren't looking for just names to plug into a spot, but good people who have a deep passion and desire to be part of this. We'll announce some positions soon, but we couldn't have any better people helping us and we're so grateful and blessed to have them coming on board with us.

As previously noted, we are starting our efforts in Louisiana. Louisiana represents the "perfect storm." They have a state-bred program that results in a substantial number of horses being bred, but they don't have much in the way of resources to rehome these horses at the end of their careers. They are near the Mexican border, and they have two notorious "kill buyers" -- Thompson/Sanders and the Stanleys -- operating in close proximity.

There have been many good people working on the problem in Louisiana for many years. We feel for them as we've seen just a little of what they've been up against. When we make the progress we intend to make in the coming months, it is due to some very smart and savvy and dedicated people who have been fighting the good fight over the past years.

We filed for our 501(c)3 status in January, and are somewhat impatiently awaiting approval. We strongly believe in public accountability and transparency when one obtains public funding. We will not accept any donations until we can guarantee our contributors that their donations are tax-deductible. While we may be "chomping at the bit," the reality is that we've needed this time to put the right people into place, talk to the tracks, racing commission and others, find suitable farms for rehab and layups, get our website ready, and more. We have to have the proper foundation to build upon.

We have tried to respond to all who have reached out to us. If we missed someone, we apologize and ask that you contact us again. We thank you for your support."
Old 03-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #192
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Yes, I think it was the original registration that was mailed to Brown. Yet the owner is listed as another party. From what I gather, the breeder is claiming to not be involved with racing, only breeding, yet Equibase lists him as owner of 4 horses that have run 5 races in 2018, 2@DED and 3@FG. Trying to figure that one out.

It sounds like one of two things, either the owner/breeder was a client of Brown's at the time of the birth (and the mare was boarded at Brown's and they were handling the registration), or the breeding entity is another entity or partnership of Brown. The latter isn't uncommon, and it's not illegal. It could be the stable or breeding entity of Brown, or one of a number of partnership stable or breeding entities that includes Brown.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #193
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It sounds like one of two things, either the owner/breeder was a client of Brown's at the time of the birth (and the mare was boarded at Brown's and they were handling the registration), or the breeding entity is another entity or partnership of Brown. The latter isn't uncommon, and it's not illegal. It could be the stable or breeding entity of Brown, or one of a number of partnership stable or breeding entities that includes Brown.
Thanks. I think if anything it's the former. And may be a boarding deal. Breeder is listed at Equibase as Agular Stables, which appears to have only one horse. At any rate, that one horse, My Revenge, was just pulled from Thompson's Kill Lot.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #194
green80

the problem is that once the owner/trainer/breeder sells a horse to a third party, the previous owner has no control as to what this buyer does with the horse. You may sell your horse to someone that convinces you that they have the best of intentions for the horse and then the horse winds up at the kill pen a few days later.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #195
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
the problem is that once the owner/trainer/breeder sells a horse to a third party, the previous owner has no control as to what this buyer does with the horse. You may sell your horse to someone that convinces you that they have the best of intentions for the horse and then the horse winds up at the kill pen a few days later.
Under Tampa Bay's no-slaughter rule the language says an owner can not sell a horse for slaughter either "directly or indirectly." The use of "indirectly" at least should incentivize the owner to do a little due diligence on the buyer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: