Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
PaceMasterT

Hope Rajiv is OK

I didn't see anything posted about the incident in the Belmont 4th today (6/17/18). I haven't seen anything about Rajiv, but I hope he is ok. It is sure sad, because you could almost see the light in Freeze the Account's eyes when he started to pull away from Rucksack and could see victory before him. I guess it is because it was some "lowly" maiden claiming race.

I don't want to get on my soapbox or anything, but I've been drinking some whiskey after not drinking for a month or so. I think things need to change in this game. This whole reliance on drugs seems ridiculous to me. People and horses were not born with the predisposition to rely on drugs to function properly. I have no idea why every horse in North America can only race if they have lasix or train with the miriade of other "legal" drugs. Ugh, I don't know where I was going, so I just end it here.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
HandyKapper

He said he is fine just a little bruised up.
HandyKapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
groupie doll

update on riders and horses
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
jk3521
Registered Loser

Also,two mounts Rajiv had to be replaced on won their races later on the card.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Immortal6

This is a bit morbid but what does "euthanized on track" mean? Surely they don't put the horse down right there in front of the grandstands? I've only watched live racing at a Fonner and I've been fortunate to never witness a horse break down there. Do they somehow get the injured horse loaded and back to a barn to attempt to give it any comfort before euthanizing? Do they lethally inject like they would if your family pet has to be put down?

Always thought about how heartbreaking it must be for track vets, trainers, etc to have to go through this. Doubtful I could stomach it.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
This is a bit morbid but what does "euthanized on track" mean? Surely they don't put the horse down right there in front of the grandstands? I've only watched live racing at a Fonner and I've been fortunate to never witness a horse break down there. Do they somehow get the injured horse loaded and back to a barn to attempt to give it any comfort before euthanizing? Do they lethally inject like they would if your family pet has to be put down?

Always thought about how heartbreaking it must be for track vets, trainers, etc to have to go through this. Doubtful I could stomach it.
That is exactly what they mean. Horses only go back to the barn if they can walk into the van. Otherwise, it is more humane to euthanize them where they are.

Worse incident I saw was over thirty years ago at Atlantic City. An over aggressive jockey clipped heals at the furlong pole, and a trailing horse fell over his mount and broke its neck. Unfortunately, they were ill prepared for this, and ending up tying the dead horse to a rake and dragging it off the track. It was really morbid.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post

Screening is put up to protect the public from seeing the sad deed being done if it must be done on the track.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: