Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

12/2 G1 Cigar Mile Handicap

I usually avoid Aqueduct like the plague, but it has been great weather for us that live above the Mason-Dixon Line this fall, and it should be near 50 degrees Spring-like weather at the Big A today. Throw in a pretty good 10 horse field, and the Cigar Mile Handicap caps a nice day of racing in New York.

Of note, TimeformUS has this as their Race of the Day and are pegging the in upset fashion with a finish.

Mind Your Biscuits: He has undoubtedly been one of the best sprinters in the country the past 2 years while finishing tough beaten 3rds in the last 2 BC Sprints. The biggest problem facing this guy is the 1 mile distance as he has only ran it once in 18 career starts, and proceeded to run one of the worst races of his career. Tough to kick one of my favorite horses here, but a sprint closer at a mile just isn't intriguing enough for me other than bottom end exotics, especially when I think he'll take more money than his 5/1 ML. If he does indeed go off at 5/1 or more, that is an awfully damn good horse to get at those kinds of odds. Especially for a horse that has a dominating G2 win at 7F just 3 races back. SUMMATION: Biscuits could be loaded with gravy at an appetizing 5/1 or better price.

Seymourdini: A really interesting 4YO that they have been patient with. After his flop in the Woody Stephens last year, they took him to the sidelines for awhile and returned him in lower end OCs at Parx and Laurel. After a couple of dominating double digit length romps, they got him in a $100K stakes race where he romped again, and then last out he got the taste of Graded Stakes company again while facing a couple rivals he'll see here today. He certainly didn't embarrass himself in that one, and was full of run late and could be a guy ready for this type of field today. Very interesting entry that could really be anything at this point in time. SUMMATION: We need to see more, and may well get that today.

Just Call Kenny: A nice 6YO horse that has won nearly $500K, but looks to be simply over matched in here. His lone run against Sharp Azteca resulted in a 10 length beat down. Looks to be a bit of an ambitious entry that has never won at 1 mile in 7 career tries. Hard to see this being the time he pops his 1 mile cherry. SUMMATION: Probably not the time to dial up JCK.

Tom's Ready: A newly minted millionaire after his last victory has run some big one's in his 20 race career. He'll be coming late, and will need a bit of a pace meltdown to have a real shot, but a board finish is very attainable for him in here. Smith gets the call as Rosario is on Practical Joke, so certainly another factor for consideration. He is gonna likely be one of the one's I'll let beat me. SUMMATION: I'm just not ready to back a horse at appetizing odds that I can't see finishing better than 3rd.

Americanize: The 'now' horse comes in off back-to-back wins, but is making a massive class jump in back-to-races as he just ran in his 1st ever stakes company race, and now takes on G1 company for his first ever Grades Stakes race. Hard to really say who he has actually beat, but he is 8 for 9 in the exacta, and should be on or near the lead. With Sharp Azteca in here, it will be interesting to see if he pushes for the lead or settles in a stalking manner. I'm just not sure he can win against these without being in the lead. The always dangerous Bejarano gets the mount, and the 12/1 ML is a bit intriguing for a horse on a massive upswing. SUMMATION: Huge jump in class, but a good post position and improving form could equate to this guy's American coming out party.

Sharp Azteca: The most likely speed of the speed, and arguably the best dirt miler in the states coming in off a crushing loss in the BC Dirt Mile. He is 5 for 8 at the distance, and 7 for 8 in the Exacta while hitting the board in all 8 tries at 1 mile. He is a must include on any Exotic ticket, and is the horse to beat in here. SUMMATION: Sharp and THE one to beat.

Vulcan's Forge: An in form horse whose last 3 races are all pretty darn good. This is his 2nd try at Graded Stakes company, but it looks like they have found a home for this guy at 1 mile on the dirt. He should be sitting near the back end early in here, and if a speed duel plays out, he could be the one most full of run late. He'll need to keep improving in here, but a career best race doesn't look to be out of the question if he gets the right set up. At 20/1, I definitely wouldn't exclude from exotics, and if you are looking for the shocking bomber, he could fit that ticket. SUMMATION: An in form horse in which you could live long and prosper if this 20/1 shot comes rolling home late.

Practical Joke: Probably my favorite 3YO that was on the Derby Trail this year. He always seems to give you an honest effort, and just doesn't ever run a bad race. He'd need things to go his way, and I feel a couple of others would need to come up short for him to cross the wire first. At a 7/2 ML, that isn't exactly the feeling I want for that kind of price. Throw in Chad Brown in New York, and he may not even go off at 7/2. He is still a dangerous entry however, that is still in his 3YO campaign that is as good or better than most in here. SUMMATION: Nothing funny about this gutty 3YO who isn't an easy one to pass on.

Summer Revolution: This 4YO was off for nearly a year leading into his last race at Belmont, and he responded nicely with a comfortable 2 length win. He possesses tactical speed, but will likely need to be up close to have a real shot in here. One of a few wildcards in this field has a ton of talent. Is he ready to pop huge against these at a big price? Just not sure he is ready coming from this post position at 1 mile at this point in time in his 2nd race off a near 1 year layoff. SUMMATION: Took a couple of season's off, including Summer, and it is hard to see a fall revolution coming in this field.

Beasley: A lot of hype has been around this horse since day 1. He was on the Derby trail for a bit, but after a clunker in the Tampa Bay Derby, he was sent to the bench and then fired back in August with 2 straight wins against decent, but not great competition. They upped the ante last out in G3 company against a couple other rivals in here, and he responded pretty well as he was making up ground late at 7Fs. Is the extra furlong what he needs for this improving and dangerous 3YO? Could be. And while the 10 hole is far from optimum, he could fit in a decent trip. A 1 turn mile may also well be right in this guy's wheelhouse. Throw in a 12/1 ML, and I'll be very interested in what the tote board says on this guy. SUMMATION: Beasley may well turn beastly today.

SUMMARY: This very well could be Sharp Azteca's race to win or lose as he could get on an easy lead and simply walk. That isn't hard to see, so everybody knows that and you'd like to think somebody like Seymourdini or Americanize or Summer Revolution will make him at least earn it on the front end. There are some interesting 3YOs and horses making significant class jumps while in big upswings in form. Horizontals, you may just want to single the Sharp Azteca, but that always seems to be a bit dangerous the next race out after the Breeder's Cup. If it isn't the , then you are looking at a wide open field with upwards to 5 to 6 others that could pop and win this thing.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
HandyKapper

I will be playing Seymourdini here. I have watched all his races several times and think he might be special. In the Bold Ruler Jose had trouble getting the horse going. Once kicking in and getting his interest he came on strong showing he is not an absolute need the lead type. Seymoutini is 2-for-2 at Aqueduct and 4-for-4 at one mile.
Good Luck
HandyKapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
RunForTheRoses

I hate to pick the chalk but I think it will be Adios Amigos with Sharp Azteca. Ran extremely well in BC against bias. May not be any value of course. 2 is very interesting, like how they took to LRL to get head on straight. 8 has a chance in here as well.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

fav is the one to beat. Will he run another big one?? Will the jocks take it to the favorite with an actual fast pace?

, figure to work very good trips.

Looks chalky.

is perhaps the most tempting ml price.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

with All exacta
Old 12-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

In the Remsen, I like the Bandito to hit the board at a price.

3 is the best on paper, and should win or be right there if he runs to form.

7 and 2 both had a great trip setup last time. Are they just overbetting the 7 because of Chad Brown?

The Beast (#10) drew a tough post. While he's interesting at 15/1 , he will need a fortunate trip from way out there. Will be watching him, just the same.

8 has to gun from the outside after breaking his maiden with an inside turn position. Tough draw. But he's 15/1 as well. Half the time these jocks don't play the turn, so Rosario may get to come over and sit 3-wide in a nice postion. Was tossing, but tempted to include underneath at this price.

5 is cool but he's a wise-guy horse for the second straight start. Can he sit close on dirt? Can he get momentum vs these? Short price.

TLDR: 1 has a chance to suck up and hit the board if the race develops his way.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

They were burning up the track in the Demoiselle today......

Remsen, the Pathway to Mediocrity, I'll go

/

/
Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wasn't that special?

I gave the a shot because he had been around 2-turns, but at those odds, no way I could use him.

Not that I liked him that much, but I hated most of the others so much more.
Not really a race to get excited over.

I won't be looking for any of these on the Derby Trail.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Sharp Azteca a bit chilly in doubles and early win pool.

Is this just more NY Brownmania as in the Remsen, or am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cigar Mile.

Another race without much to get excited about.
The and probably coming late. the one to beat.

Looks like no value to bother with this one.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Should of bet.

Race shows horses can run back in 30 days and can attend a fast pace and still win.

Contrary to many alleged trainers and jockeys these days.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
n.c

especially if it

has cucumber juice in its system..
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #13
dilanesp

Practical Joke always seems to hit the board.

Glad to see Aqueduct finally sprung for a goosenecked covered safety rail- technology that has protected jockeys at other tracks for several decades.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c View Post
has cucumber juice in its system..
I'm sure Navarro realizes all eyes are on him, his statements that he was given a new lease on life after that video appeared and supposedly almost ended his career are all BS he won with Flowersforlisa at GP in the Claiming Crown on Saturday a low level claimer that seemed to go to the next level under his watchful eye. There is an old expression in life, if you give someone enough rope they will eventually hang themselves.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
GMB@BP

Speaking of old super juicers, what ever happened to Scott Lake?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: