Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #91
classhandicapper

One thing I learned from this year's BC races is that the combination of huge fields and a lot races I am interested in on back to back days is too mentally draining for me to do the kind of detailed analysis I like to do for each race. I had back to back god days, but I made some costly mistakes by missing information that was already entered in my Formulator trip notes.

I'm not sure if there is a good solution, but these super cards (especially if 2 tracks are doing the same thing on the same day like they did a couple of times this year) are a huge negative for both my handle and accuracy. I'm forced to skip over races that could present a prime opportunity or get sloppy and miss things.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-07-2020 at 07:21 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #92
metro

Gary and Mary should have sent Max to Brad Cox.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #93
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
Look at VIC! 4th place in some kinda contest.

Good luck
It was the Breeders' Betting Challenge. I ended up 7th. Good day.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #94
AMPHAR

Congrats!
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #95
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I was disappointed in Maximum Security's lack of late kick; maybe he's past his peak. And I was disappointed in myself putting the winner third among the Bafferts; that was just dumb. I think I was affected by the Swiss Skydiver race, and the feeling the 3yo's just weren't all that this year.

The way the track was set up, closers were doomed. Definitely a speed favoring surface today.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #96
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
LOL...Good one!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #97
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
One thing I learned from this year's BC races is that the combination of huge fields and a lot races I am interested in on back to back days is too mentally draining for me to do the kind of detailed analysis I like to do for each race. ...
I'm not sure if there is a good solution...

It can be overwhelming.

There's a bunch of races.

There's a bunch contenders in each race,

and if not a bunch of true contenders,

there's a story, a narrative for each horse.

We all have our own balance of entertainment vs investment to begin with.

When you get All-Star races it's like a kid in a candy store.

Hopefully you have a couple of the stars who you have a controversial opinion of (and then still check Pace Projector! to make sure his trio of uncoupled stablemates don't set him loose on the lead!!).

a couple of controversial opinions. Maybe structure 1 multi into/around that 'stand'.
Rest of the time is for 10c supers, ,cold exactas, 50c pk 3s, etc... Horses you like and have a feeling about the supposed narrative, but haven't spent 80 hours w/ multiple resources .

You have 1 big opinion; If you're Lucky!

and the rest of the time you throw some darts at a board.

A good horseplayer, who occasionally posts on PA, told me "Robert(Jason), I skip the 'Big' days. My play is focused on my local circuit/system/routine. "
Old 11-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #98
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Gary and Mary should have sent Max to Brad Cox.

all three use nearly the exact same stuff, so no benefit for Max, going to one or the other, aside maybe priority, or race-spacing.

One day, the Wests should be introduced to Baffert. They'd probably make friends, if they could ever meet.

He could council them and a couple other big owners (maybe Cox and some of the other star trainers could bring in the rest of some of the other same big owners, no doubt suffering mild PTSD), after the shocking and saddening disappointment of that rogue Jason Servis.

"horses age like strawberries" classy and true
"horses' 'juiceability' squeezes like lemons" vulgar and true

max reached his ceiling, and they got every drop out of him. Time to breed or if by some chance there is no market, he needs to check into one of those rehab things and get clean for 6 months and maybe his blood will take to some of the PEDs once again. I can't recall his total record, but at a quick (and perhaps inaccurate mental glance) he's a tweener 9f type who's at his best when he can dominate class and or pace.

pass the salmon and asparagus, and, easy on the lemon wedge please baby, it has to last the whole table.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #99
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Congratulations.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #100
GMB@BP

I see that Johnathan Kinchen, think there was a thread here about his trash handicapping, finished second.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #101
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Congratulations.
Nice job Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I see that Johnathan Kinchen, think there was a thread here about his trash handicapping, finished second.
JK is Legit.

he's getting a 'push', but he deserves it.

Yea, he's 'entertaining', but he's a really good handicapper/horseplayer.

was it a couple? years ago i was (and it was (at least my posts and most other's in the thread) a professional, classy mention) also praising Acacia Courtney.

It's good to see Johnathan Kinchen, and Acacia Courtney featured these days.

Racing isn't always as as dumb as it seems.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-08-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #102
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I'm not sure why he generates any controversy. IMO he's excellent both as a handicapper and on TV.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #103
GMB@BP

Quote:
I'm not sure why he generates any controversy. IMO he's excellent both as a handicapper and on TV.
IMO the people who tend to take stands with their opinions tend to get more criticism.

Lot easier to play the middle on every subject I suppose. I think Randy Moss and Bailey are a good example, Randy Moss tends to do it a lot more than Bailey.

And I would also so Moss, as a veteran reporter/writer, can do it with words that soften some of that criticism where Kinchan is a bit more raw so tends to generate more emotional response.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #104
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

all three use nearly the exact same stuff, so no benefit for Max, going to one or the other, aside maybe priority, or race-spacing.

One day, the Wests should be introduced to Baffert. They'd probably make friends, if they could ever meet.

He could council them and a couple other big owners (maybe Cox and some of the other star trainers could bring in the rest of some of the other same big owners, no doubt suffering mild PTSD), after the shocking and saddening disappointment of that rogue Jason Servis.

"horses age like strawberries" classy and true
"horses' 'juiceability' squeezes like lemons" vulgar and true

max reached his ceiling, and they got every drop out of him. Time to breed or if by some chance there is no market, he needs to check into one of those rehab things and get clean for 6 months and maybe his blood will take to some of the PEDs once again. I can't recall his total record, but at a quick (and perhaps inaccurate mental glance) he's a tweener 9f type who's at his best when he can dominate class and or pace.

pass the salmon and asparagus, and, easy on the lemon wedge please baby, it has to last the whole table.
I never was a die-hard Maximum Security fan and like most others, always felt he was juiced to some degree. With that said, with or without PEDs, Cox would have let his jockey ride the horse in a manner that would give it it's best chance to win. All Baffert did was modify him to more of a stalker than a true front runner. Obviously a tough spot for Bob when he's got two similar running style types with Grade I route ability. Who goes? Who stalks? Maybe it's some kind of mutual agreement with the owners and it will be Max's turn to be the speed of the speed in the Pegasus at GP.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #105
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I never was a die-hard Maximum Security fan and like most others, always felt he was juiced to some degree. With that said, with or without PEDs, Cox would have let his jockey ride the horse in a manner that would give it it's best chance to win. All Baffert did was modify him to more of a stalker than a true front runner. Obviously a tough spot for Bob when he's got two similar running style types with Grade I route ability. Who goes? Who stalks? Maybe it's some kind of mutual agreement with the owners and it will be Max's turn to be the speed of the speed in the Pegasus at GP.
I hear you.

His job in the Classic was to keep Tiz the Law from attending the pace, and pin him on the rail a bit. He did his job well. Then at the end he had an opportunity to try to find some amazing late turn of foot, but couldn't find it, at no real knock to him.

Baffert had a pair of Aces.
Authentic projected to be a loose leader.
He also had the best horse, Improbable.

So, with Max, he said "try to help the cause, and then run big if possible!"

Maybe Maximum Security could have run his own race and dueled with Authentic for another barn (such as Cox), and Tiz the Law would have had some chance to participate, and a horse like Improbable would have won instead. Tough to know. The medications and stuff didn't really change for the horse, even though the narrative is that Maximum Security had to overcome the adversity of stopping the meds.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-08-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: