Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I love the smell of FRUSTRATION in the morning!

Could we have a NPP winner this year that actually DID SOMETHING to deserve it?

0bama's legacy - he, uh, he, he, uh, well, he...........
Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
After reading a bunch of this its apparent the North Korean's are seeking multilateral and not bilateral talks.

If that is the case the United States should really take a back seat in discussions and simply be "present" at discussions as the North, South, Japan, and China hammer something out. Their goalposts are already further away than ours are...
I believe what is shaping up is talks between N/S Korea on one path, and then multilateral talks between N/S Korea and China/US as sponsors for the two sides on another path. I don't believe Japan gets a seat at the table, as it would be unbalanced from China's POV.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I believe what is shaping up is talks between N/S Korea on one path, and then multilateral talks between N/S Korea and China/US as sponsors for the two sides on another path. I don't believe Japan gets a seat at the table, as it would be unbalanced from China's POV.
We'll see.

Their security concerns are somewhat different from the others on the issue. Its very possible to carve out a deal that's palatable to all sides but theirs and then the underlying problem still exists. This is due to their reliance on us for national defense.

Depends on the aim. If you're looking for something comprehensive and lasting they need to be present. If you're more sighted then no they don't but will it work...? Doubts grow rapidly.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 04-27-2018 at 11:07 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
We'll see.

Their security concerns are somewhat different from the others on the issue. Its very possible to carve out a deal that's palatable to all sides but theirs and then the underlying problem still exists. This is due to their reliance on us for national defense.

Depends on the aim. If you're looking for something comprehensive and lasting they need to be present. If you're more sighted then no they don't but will it work...? Doubts grow rapidly.
I see a local issue (peace treaty between north and south), and then regional issues such as denuclearization, trade, embargo's, troop concentrations, etc, etc that would involve the North, the South, China, Japan, and the US. Since the US is a proxy for Japan, they would carry their concerns to any summit. I fully expect more than one such summit this year. This first one is to set the stage for one later this year involving China (notice Trump keeps praising Xi) that will conclude with a regional peace framework.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Lots of good points

Good thread
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WjDJnflTRak

Good vid
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #22
Marshall Bennett

I don't trust any government in the far east. Not one of them. They're of a different social ideology and their mode of operation imo is just flat-out strange. Their cultures seem so robotic and automated. Mind programing from a very early age is instilled and furthered through education.
Some will certainly view me as just being prejudice. The picture I visualize of that part of the world will never change. There's also a very distinct history to understand.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #23
jk3521
Registered Loser

Really....??

https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/kim-jo...orea-sit-down/

Leave it to the good old New York Post.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
If they denuclearize Korea and Trump doesn't get the Noble Peace Prize, the award will be about as diminished as wining the Oscar for making a politically correct movie instead for merit.

This development is 100% the result of the way Trump has been handling the North and negotiating with China to ensure our interests in the region are also secure (South Korea, Japan etc..)

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-27-2018 at 01:42 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Really....??

https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/kim-jo...orea-sit-down/

Leave it to the good old New York Post.
That's not a dumb move. A few decades ago, we were able to discern a Soviet leader's health by capturing his stool samples for analysis.

I couldn't find which leader it was, but saw that Stalin did it to Mao.

Last edited by tucker6; 04-27-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #26
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If they denuclearize Korea and Trump doesn't get the Noble Peace Prize, the award will be about as diminished as wining the Oscar for making a politically correct movie instead for merit.

This development is 100% the result of the way Trump has been handling the North and negotiating with China to ensure our interests in the region are also secure (South Korea, Japan etc..)
As talk of the Nobel Peace prize heats up (way too premature), I can feel HCAP's and FanDan's and Horsey's heads exploding.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
There is a lot of evidence that North Korea announced an end to nuke testing because of strong pressure from China over the last few years and because their nuke test site has become unstable.

China doubled down on the issue by releasing Chinese studies showing serious damage to the site. China rarely lets this kind of information go public.

Quote:
It’s a little curious that these China-backed studies have been allowed to go public. It might be that Beijing has had enough of the testing in part because further testing presents a very clear danger to their own territory.
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/04/...ng-capability/
Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #28
tucker6

I said a few months ago that as long as we guarantee China that we won't support regime change in North Korea, they would support us in regional stabilization talks. China is quiet, but feel they are actually a big player in the final outcome. I would imagine the private talks they had with Kim a few weeks ago was to let him know what their expectations were of him.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #29
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
As talk of the Nobel Peace prize heats up (way too premature)
The Peace Prize committee is highly political and very left wing, as evidenced by the award to Obama. It's highly likely that they all hate Trump.

The leaders of the two Koreas have agreed to hold negotiations to settle their issues, including the DMZ and nukes. This kind of agreement has taken place several times in the past, and talks have always broken down. One of the sticking points would be the North wanting most if not all of the US presence in the South to go away.

If a settlement is reached, my bet would be that the Peace Prize committee would bitch-slap Trump and give the prize to the leaders of the two countries, Kim and Moon.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
There is a lot of evidence that North Korea announced an end to nuke testing because of strong pressure from China over the last few years and because their nuke test site has become unstable.

China doubled down on the issue by releasing Chinese studies showing serious damage to the site. China rarely lets this kind of information go public.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/04/...ng-capability/
Heard they their lost top scientists and staff in this mountain collapse caused by ?
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply