Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Flysofree
Veteran

I love this program and am a true computer dummy...But give it time.. The 30 days is great offer. It has training videos on lots of topics.

Now... what I wish could be changed, when a track cancels it's card, eliminate that date/card from the download in history.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
I love this program and am a true computer dummy...But give it time.. The 30 days is great offer. It has training videos on lots of topics.

Now... what I wish could be changed, when a track cancels it's card, eliminate that date/card from the download in history.

thxs FLY

maybe you can answer my question...Can this only be used via web and no info is stored on your PC?
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
thxs FLY

maybe you can answer my question...Can this only be used via web and no info is stored on your PC?
I said I was a dummy, but as far as I know you can save it.... I'm a pencil and paper type guy. I'm sure someone with sound computer knowledge will answer soon.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
QuickHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
thxs FLY

I didn't mean to confuse anyone when comparing this to BetMix which IS AN INTERNET BASED PROGRAM. Due to the data processing requirements this is a WINDOWS BASED SYSTEM and it only uses the internet to download data and communicate to our company's registration server to protect other users against fraudulent (unpaid for subscription).

So, all data is stored on and the program runs on your personal computer.

MAC systems now have windows emulators so it can run on those types of devices if you have Windows installed as part of that.

Mike
QuickHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
QuickHorse

And additional, but less used, feature of QuickHorse is that you can download the companion QHApp for your Android Smart Phone. The App allows you to "communicate" with QuickHorse as it runs on your home computer while you're at the track. With the QHApp, you can select Tracks/Races/Methods and run commands remotely to your desktop in order to Handicap/Supertune/Backtest and even request a snapshot of the Live Tote Board feature of QuickHorse.

Just FYI...

Mike
Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
QuickHorse

Kirk,

I received your email but my positive response wasn't sent. Evidently your Comcast email address is outdated or otherwise incorrect.

Mike
Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #22
mikesal57
Veteran

There's mention of a Quick Horse Forum on your website....

Is there?

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #23
QuickHorse

We do have a forum, but, unlike our Dog Racing Forum, it is a road less travelled. I believe horseplayers are a bit less eager to discuss their methods. I am careful not to put up web pages here because although an advertiser I am not sure I can plug other web pages. So, using the software, click on the HELP menu bar items, then on that popup you can find the "button" to take you to the forum page.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
jk3521
Registered Loser

If you use Bris data does that mean to backfit you must use BRIS results files or can the BRIS data be used using Quickhorse results files ?
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #25
QuickHorse

It is possible to use QuickHorse results with Bris DRF program files. As an example, if you have a DRF for CT downloaded today, then tomorrow you can simply tell QuickHorse to match its chart files to your existing (and recent) DRF file and QuickHorse will do that.

But, suppose you have downloaded a DRF file for last month sometime or last year, that's too old to match to Quickhorse. So for historical purposes this sort of thing won't work, but going forward you can use our results with your DRF files.

Most QuickHorse users simply use the free data.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by turninforhome10
Hey Mike, Glad to see the authorized by your name. As a client for going on 5 yrs, your customer service has been impeccable, your willingness to build new features based on customer feedback is spot on and the best feature of the product is the ability to create your method. Very happy customer as this is the first product that allows me, the user to make my own methods using data that I create. Yes, the learning curve is steep, but once mastered it becomes a formidable weapon.
Thanks Again
Kirk
P.S. Love the new odds line feature, it has increased my ROI by .45
I would like to echo the sentiments in this post.

While the interface is not "modern" I have not found that to be an issue. The lack of a fancy interface was a bit of a concern for me as well when I first started using it. There are other products with older interfaces which have not been updated in years. Mike's customer service is as good as it gets and the number of features added in the short time I've used it (about 2 years) indicates that the product continues to be supported and updated. One of the more recent updates were the result of a discussion in another thread here where Mike saw a potential change that could make the product more user-friendly and had the change made.

Don't let the DOS look fool you; this is a fairly powerful tool under the surface and can really help you once you get past the learning curve.

I think 30 days is probably too short a time to "learn" how to use this product, but I think if you spent a good 60 days trying to piece this together, you will find a worthwhile tool to add to your arsenal. Is the 60 day trial going to continue for PaceAdvantage users? As I recall, Semantic doesn't exactly block QuickHorse, but warns us that the product is not well known and that it is potentially dangerous (because it is not well known).

To make the trial more productive, you may want to spend a few hours reviewing the concepts of Reverse Polish Notation (the way older computers and HP Calculators and desktop adding machines work) before you start your trial period.

Glad you are here Mike.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #27
Jingle

What am I Missing? Really I'm curious. I am a long time horse player and in years past when a vendor offered his product with a 60 day free trial and free data everyone and his brother would be all over the offer. The vendor mentioned the response has not been great. Is it because the software has been around a while and people have already tried it or the database aspect, or what? In the past many people would take advantage of a offer like this and then comment on it. Times have changed I guess.

No, I did not take advantage of the offer as it is not my kind of handicapping tool--I no longer spend the time that I use to handicapping.

Just wondering.
Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #28
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle
What am I Missing? Really I'm curious. I am a long time horse player and in years past when a vendor offered his product with a 60 day free trial and free data everyone and his brother would be all over the offer. The vendor mentioned the response has not been great. Is it because the software has been around a while and people have already tried it or the database aspect, or what? In the past many people would take advantage of a offer like this and then comment on it. Times have changed I guess.

No, I did not take advantage of the offer as it is not my kind of handicapping tool--I no longer spend the time that I use to handicapping.

Just wondering.
i think you answered the question in your last paragraph.
personally, i am a sucker for trying any software offered, and have spent time with quickhorse back in 2003-. i am sure it is a whole different software today, so it would not be fair for me to say anything about it.

i have my own repetoire that i am satisfied with, so i no longer need any software.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #29
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle

Just wondering.
I think a lot of people are too lazy to learn how to use it and/or they perceive the level of complexity to be beyond their ability to comprehend.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #30
turninforhome10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin
I think a lot of people are too lazy to learn how to use it and/or they perceive the level of complexity to be beyond their ability to comprehend.
If you think of the it as a program that allows users to create their own methods for data mining, then it becomes an invaluable tool. I feel that most are looking for a plug and play program that gives you the answer without any work.
The basic methods included in the program are ok, but it was not until I started to build my own columns with logic steps built and incorporate them into methods that I really started to turn the corner. You have to think of how you attack a specific type of race and then build columns that think like you do and then build methods specific for those type of races.
I try to break the whole thing down into objective data vs subjective data.
Obj data is weight,days since last race, trainer roi etc. Subjective data would include pace, class, etc.
After building all the methods, I then mine my db (which I have tuned for the condition book timings rather full histories) looking for factors that are significant for the type of race. Once these factors are found I then take those factors and build the final method for the specific type of race.
I tune using Fast for surface, Distance specific and I use Race Grade.
If the surface is off, then I have built a pace specific modeling method just for the surface.
The secret that I have found is to use methods to build methods. So at the end I will have 18 methods that get tuned into 4 methods that then get tuned into a final method that I use with Live Tote to look for holes in the public.
If you think of the program as tool to help you program your methods then it is an invaluable tool. If you think of it as Black Box type that will give the answers hands free, then it will probably leave you wanting.
I started using it because I wanted to full trust the integrity of the data and the only way that I could do that was by building my own data mining tools.
There are a lot of programs that give you the information but understanding where it comes from is what I was looking for. I wanted to unmask the wizard behind the curtain and feel that I have done so.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply