Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Fast Food Workers Strike

http://twitchy.com/2014/09/04/meet-y...mpaign=twitter

Pic heavy. Let it load
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
thaskalos

The fast food industry shutting down may be the best news I've ever read at this site.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
DJofSD
Screw PC

I've seen where a number of protests have gotten a bit out of hand and some arrests were made, including here is San Diego.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Yeah, I don't eat at them either......... can't tolerate that crap. I rarely make an exception........

In Charlotte NC 911 operators start at 15 bucks an hour and go through tons of training to get it. Including deep background checks. Polygraph, physical etc.

Here in Texas about the same, even less money in some places. Dallas starts them at 12.50 until they complete training. Same background etc.

The benefits are the difference, and I understand that. But 15 bucks to make hamburgers is a little much. These people are out of touch.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
I've seen where a number of protests have gotten a bit out of hand and some arrests were made, including here is San Diego.
This July the minimum wage in California went from 8 to 9. In 2016 it will go to 10.

Unless you're a sheepherder. Ishityounot.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

A part of the larger debate is the use of the phrase 'livable wage.' I don't know what that means, or, how it is measured. And who in their right mind thinks they can work at an entry level job and have all of the things they want -- and, I use the word want not needs.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
There were coordinated plans in a number of cities that included blocking traffic. A lot of the planning and financing (such as bringing in busloads of protesters) came from SEIU.

Quote:
Police handcuffed dozens of protesters in cities around the country on Thursday as they blocked traffic in the latest attempt to escalate their efforts to get McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food companies to pay their employees at least $15 an hour.

The protests, which were planned by labor organizers for about 150 cities nationwide throughout Thursday, are part of a campaign called "Fight for $15."

Since the protests began in late 2012, organizers have switched up their tactics every few months to bring attention to the protests, which have attracted spotty crowds. Organizers previously said they planned to engage in nonviolent civil disobedience on Thursday, which might lead to arrests.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
But 15 bucks to make hamburgers is a little much. These people are out of touch.
These people are getting it now. The state is subsidizing their salaries. I think it would be better if the McDonald's and Walmart's actually paid these workers directly instead of taxpayers
Old 09-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The fast food industry shutting down may be the best news I've ever read at this site.
Nasty stuff and worse for you than cigarette smoking.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Nasty stuff and worse for you than cigarette smoking.
I'm glad you brought this up. For as bad as the cigarette industry and smokers get hammered for "killing people and themselves," the junk food industry gets off pretty light by comparison...and yet recent studies show overeating (especially junk food) to be just as bad or WORSE for your heart than smoking.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm glad you brought this up. For as bad as the cigarette industry and smokers get hammered for "killing people and themselves," the junk food industry gets off pretty light by comparison...and yet recent studies show overeating (especially junk food) to be just as bad or WORSE for your heart than smoking.
Not to mention the added costs for health care. Outrageous.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
These people are getting it now. The state is subsidizing their salaries. I think it would be better if the McDonald's and Walmart's actually paid these workers directly instead of taxpayers
If McD and Walmart had to pay a minimum of $15/hour, they would have to raise their prices, which would effectively be a tax to subsidize wages. And the tax is a regressive one, that disproportionately burdens those with lower incomes.

It is an entitlement program either way you do it. The only question is who pays for it.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
A part of the larger debate is the use of the phrase 'livable wage.' I don't know what that means, or, how it is measured. And who in their right mind thinks they can work at an entry level job and have all of the things they want -- and, I use the word want not needs.
The ying to that yang "liveable wage" is value added employment.
It sucks that many jobs do not pay you enough to live.
That is why people improve themselves, add value to their deliverable skill sets.

You become worth more through self improvement, not negotiation.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Aw, PA, those Satisfries are soooooo yummy!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
Marshall Bennett

Always had a special sort of admiration for anyone that could work 8 hours at a McDonalds and absorb the stench. Particularly those working the grill.
They earn every dollar.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply