Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #271
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
A few things need to be pointed out here and by no means do I consider myself a huge fan of TVG economic wise.

1. They pay to be aired on cable otherwise there would be no TVG. It's the reason HRTV has limited distribution in most cases they refuse to pay.

2. They will have to pay even more to get broadcast in HD. The cable and satellite networks will hold them hostage for as much money they can get. It's the main reason the screen looks like crap during a race. I have watched TVG on MSG+ and its perfecto.

3. Certain racetracks can demand contractual obligation to air each and every race live. Mainly it the California tracks but that's where most of their income comes from. While I think showing a $10,000 maiden claimer over a stake is way over the top the signature on the contract says different. If I recall correctly TVG and NYRA had a dispute quite a few years back and NYRA wouldn't back down. They had the hammer and used it that''s part of the business world.

4. When they cut to commercials right before of after a race its due to the fact the the cable company gets 'x" amount of minutes per hour and basically when. Refusing to comply would violate the term of the contract I have no idea what the penalty might be.

5. There's a reason HRTV shows other types of racing and it's all about the money. If they could make more showing night racing they surely would.

When push comes to shove what would you rather have? A compromised TVG or no racing channel at all?
Good post, i know what you're saying that something is better than nothing, and its ok how they run things, we would all "go after the money" but to me, i haven't seen that they are behaving in a way that suggests the money comes first and the racing fan comes second. Their hosts need to tone down the arrogance because if you take the money first, you can't have it both ways, you're essentially a parasite on the game when you don't put the game and the customers first.

They need to just be honest that they don't put the game first.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #272
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Good post, i know what you're saying that something is better than nothing, and its ok how they run things, we would all "go after the money" but to me, i haven't seen that they are behaving in a way that suggests the money comes first and the racing fan comes second. Their hosts need to tone down the arrogance because if you take the money first, you can't have it both ways, you're essentially a parasite on the game when you don't put the game and the customers first.

They need to just be honest that they don't put the game first.
I can't stand some of the hosts (pointless to name them) just like you. But the reality is there is a specific reason they wear an earpiece. It's the producers telling them what to do and if they don't follow instructions there probably is hell to pay all the way to the UK. It probably is the main reason that the "rah rah" ones are still with the network while the "progressives" are let go.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #273
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I can't stand some of the hosts (pointless to name them) just like you. But the reality is there is a specific reason they wear an earpiece. It's the producers telling them what to do and if they don't follow instructions there probably is hell to pay all the way to the UK. It probably is the main reason that the "rah rah" ones are still with the network while the "progressives" are let go.
This is the one thing about TVG that I notice, the number of on air talent that has been bounced because either they didn't fit the profile or they had the opportunity to move on .
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #274
Shelby

Does Greg Wolf not work at TVG anymore? Haven't seen him for a while.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #275
Fingal

Not sure, but his bio is still on the TVG website. He was named to that racing team that is on Fox Sports 1.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ing-broadcasts
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #276
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What really bothers me the most is the totally crappy sound on TVG - like a high school graduation, where the wires are not plugged in right, continually cutting out, popping noises.....all the time. for months now.

I switch to HRTV and perfect sound.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #277
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Does Greg Wolf not work at TVG anymore? Haven't seen him for a while.
Yes, but he is big on the college football season, think he is a studio guy for FS.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #278
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Is it just me or is the picture and sound jumping all over today? Other channels seem fine.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #279
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I had to turn it off it was so bad - not watchable at times.
Like right now, the interview with CC's trainer - can't make out a single word and he looks like is shape shifting!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #280
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
What really bothers me the most is the totally crappy sound on TVG - like a high school graduation, where the wires are not plugged in right, continually cutting out, popping noises.....all the time. for months now.
Maybe they need to move out of the garage and find a better room in the house.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #281
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yes, but he is big on the college football season, think he is a studio guy for FS.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #282
Stillriledup
Veteran

TVG turning into Dr Phil?

Cmon guys, stick to horse racing.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #283
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
TVG turning into Dr Phil?

Cmon guys, stick to horse racing.
Im forced to watch these bozos because TVG has an exclusive with Keeneland..
It's absolute torture.
I MUST use the mute button.
The man crush on horizontal bets is worse than ever.
The on camera people largely ignore handicapping a race as a standalone entity.
I realize it is the job of the producers to make it the job of the on camera people to entice people to use the TVG site to make their wagers( who are THOSE people? Does anyone on PA use TVG's ADW?) because that is revenue for the company, but for crying out loud....TVG isn't even close to being a real horse racing analysis and handicapping service.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #284
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
It's absolute torture.
I realize it is the job of the producers to make it the job of the on camera people to entice people to use the TVG site to make their wagers( who are THOSE people? Does anyone on PA use TVG's ADW?) because that is revenue for the company, but for crying out loud....TVG isn't even close to being a real horse racing analysis and handicapping service.
They did a long segment yesterday during Keeneland about some kid with a medical condition, not sure what that had to do with horse racing, i put it on mute the minute i saw they weren't talking about horses MARONE!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #285
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
It's absolute torture.
I have to put the sound on mute also, the on air guys are so annoying and juvenile that my wife gets pissed if she has to hear it for too long. So if I must watch the races, we have to turn the sound off.

I've never known of anyone that uses the TVG ADW.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply