Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #256
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation
Meh, it's the only horse racing channel I have and as long as they show the race, I'm okay
But that is often just the problem, they don't. Unless, of course, you prefer your races shown on a 5-20 minute tape delay. Common practice to have a live race going off at a track that you or many others have a large interest in while the talking heads are jibbering away showing their pick whatever selections, or shots of the walking ring or post parade of their "A" track.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #257
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
But that is often just the problem, they don't. Unless, of course, you prefer your races shown on a 5-20 minute tape delay. Common practice to have a live race going off at a track that you or many others have a large interest in while the talking heads are jibbering away showing their pick whatever selections, or shots of the walking ring or post parade of their "A" track.
So wait, i'm confused, you mean the A in QuArterhorse doesn't stand for A Track?

That's the thing about TVG, they're all about who pays them the most money, they'll show a 2,500 claimer from Buffalo Harness track ahead of the Travers Stakes if Buffalo paid them enough.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #258
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
So wait, i'm confused, you mean the A in QuArterhorse doesn't stand for A Track?

That's the thing about TVG, they're all about who pays them the most money, they'll show a 2,500 claimer from Buffalo Harness track ahead of the Travers Stakes if Buffalo paid them enough.
Precisely....It's all about the tracks that pay them the most.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #259
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

TVG is a business not a charitable organization. Makes pecuniary sense to cater to those who pay for your services.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #260
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
To be fair, there was a time where I had only HRTV. They show many races after the fact and you get no warning of races about to go off. The graphics and scrolls are way better on TVG too.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #261
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Who wouldn't?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #262
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
TVG is a business not a charitable organization. Makes pecuniary sense to cater to those who pay for your services.
That would be correct.
However, if TVG took more money from lesser tracks, those in which bettors had little interest, their business would slow to the point where the service's management would be forced to move in a different direction.
Revenue does matter.....Ratings matter more.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #263
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
That would be correct.
However, if TVG took more money from lesser tracks, those in which bettors had little interest, their business would slow to the point where the service's management would be forced to move in a different direction.
Revenue does matter.....Ratings matter more.
Of course, but they also don't do that to the extent that SRU was insinuating. Los Al is the only track that gets priority over "bigger" tracks, but which of those really get any handle either? Remington, Evangeline, Charles Town, Mountaineer?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #264
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

The best thing about TVG is.....

Britney Eurton....sharp in many ways... seriously though if you must tune in for picks HRTV first call show Jeff Siegel is the best no doubt.

Last edited by Racey; 09-02-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Racey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #265
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Pecuniary........nice one........(I looked it up!)
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #266
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Who wouldn't?
Its ok to take the money, but then they shouldn't act like they care about the horseplayer or the game or say that they're "all about racing"
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #267
Canarsie

Quote:
Its ok to take the money, but then they shouldn't act like they care about the horseplayer or the game or say that they're "all about racing"
A few things need to be pointed out here and by no means do I consider myself a huge fan of TVG economic wise.

1. They pay to be aired on cable otherwise there would be no TVG. It's the reason HRTV has limited distribution in most cases they refuse to pay.

2. They will have to pay even more to get broadcast in HD. The cable and satellite networks will hold them hostage for as much money they can get. It's the main reason the screen looks like crap during a race. I have watched TVG on MSG+ and its perfecto.

3. Certain racetracks can demand contractual obligation to air each and every race live. Mainly it the California tracks but that's where most of their income comes from. While I think showing a $10,000 maiden claimer over a stake is way over the top the signature on the contract says different. If I recall correctly TVG and NYRA had a dispute quite a few years back and NYRA wouldn't back down. They had the hammer and used it that''s part of the business world.

4. When they cut to commercials right before of after a race its due to the fact the the cable company gets 'x" amount of minutes per hour and basically when. Refusing to comply would violate the term of the contract I have no idea what the penalty might be.

5. There's a reason HRTV shows other types of racing and it's all about the money. If they could make more showing night racing they surely would.

When push comes to shove what would you rather have? A compromised TVG or no racing channel at all?
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #268
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie

While I think showing a $10,000 maiden claimer over a stake is way over the top the signature on the contract says different. If I recall correctly TVG and NYRA had a dispute quite a few years back and NYRA wouldn't back down. They had the hammer and used it that''s part of the business world.

When push comes to shove what would you rather have? A compromised TVG or no racing channel at all?
I would like to see a TVG-East headquartered in NY.
When NYRA/Monmouth etc. are finished for the day they can switch back to to the TVG-West version.
Then they can take us back to the studio in between east coast races to show the west coast races on tape delay,of course after the results for those races are flashed across the bottom of the screen for quite a while.
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #269
Appy

The only disappointment I have with regards to TVG is the participatory state limitations they have in place and that they are smart enough not to get involved in pandering to the laughing stock that is current Kansas horse racing/gambling Politics.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #270
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
I would like to see a TVG-East headquartered in NY.
When NYRA/Monmouth etc. are finished for the day they can switch back to to the TVG-West version.
TVG's lucky they're operating anywhere. I had expected both them and HRTV to throw in the towel at any time. TVG reduced it's staff size.
We're fortunate to have a horse racing network at all, especially two of them. I try not to knock them too much for that reason.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply