Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #76
delayjf

Quote:
Colin Kapernick has come under criticism, and he has made future employment in the NFL difficult because of his actions.The NFL or the 49ers has no rule about standing for the National Anthem.Maybe there should be, but until there is, he can't be let go for that reason.
That's my point, in the NFL's eye its OK to trash America and insult Veterans, but take a Christian stance against gay marriage, open bathrooms, and the NFL will threaten you with pulling a Super Bowl from your state. That says a lot about the politics of the NFL. I will watch the games, but I will not support their sponsors. All those in agreement should do the same.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #77
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Excellent!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #78
delayjf

I think in a lot of ways Kareem probably agrees with Kaepernick, hense his support. Would he have written such an article if an Athlete who supported the KKK and had a confederate flag bumper sticker? Would he call that being "patriotic"?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #79
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Bullshit

People fought and died for that flag and what it stands for.
This is direct slap in their faces.
This POS can do whatever he wants to OFF the field.
When you are in the public eye like he is you show some kind respect for what others think and feel.

Look at all the hoopla HERE about the Stars and Bars.
Gary has less rights than the pig with the pigskin?

Would you guys support my rights if I wore a white robe and hood and swung a noose around at a football game?

Good grief.
Are there any freaking adults left?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #80
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Kaepernick looks just like Bin Laden.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #81
thaskalos

Yeah. The national anthem is so "revered", and holds such great "significance"...that we allow pigs like Rosanne Barr make a travesty of its rendition.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #82
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Nice try. He winds the article up comparing the climate in 1967 to the current climate. That's absurd.

CP has every right to make an ass of himself. But drawing a line between 1967 and today is a joke.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #83
delayjf

I didn't care for that either. I simply don't agree that bad mouthing your country is "patriotic". It is certainly his right to do so and given the blow back he may receive you could make the point that its a brave and bold thing to do - but patriotic, I disagree.

Last edited by delayjf; 08-30-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #84
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Yeah. The national anthem is so "revered", and holds such great "significance"...that we allow pigs like Rosanne Barr make a travesty of its rendition.
I think if the promoters of that event had known what she was going to do, they would have stopped it. It's easy for you to make that statement now. After the fact.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #85
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I think if the promoters of that event had known what she was going to do, they would have stopped it. It's easy for you to make that statement now. After the fact.
Agreed, but at the same time, what did they think someone of the caliber of Roseanne would do?

If you invite Will Ferrell to sing the National Anthem you're kinda asking for it
Old 08-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #86
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Yep. That's real patriotism. Don't need a flag or a song about a battle in a war that never should have been fought, sung to the tune of an English drinking song to prove it. Being forced to comply to ceremony is not freedom, it is state sponsored religion, which i want nothing of.
You're being kind of excessively literal aren't you Al?

Your point might be valid if the police at the game or other events went around forcing people to stand........
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #87
thaskalos

Quote:
The national anthem is still handed over to be sung by "celebrities" who torture its rendition beyond recognition...as the crowd cheers wildly in approval. Even on the field of play...we see our athletes scratching their balls and blowing their noses, as our anthem is being played. Do the "promoters" of this event not see this?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #88
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The national anthem is still handed over to be sung by "celebrities" who torture its rendition beyond recognition...as the crowd cheers wildly in approval. Even on the field of play...we see our athletes scratching their balls and blowing their noses, as our anthem is being played. Do the "promoters" of this event not see this?
Point taken, but they have yet to make as much an event over it. They don't after the fact and I doubt if asked they would respond with the furtherance of a false narrative that has divided the country for over two years now. The truth is the theme and meme of BLM and the protests by NFL players is incorrect, false or even worse subversive. George Soro's's himself has funded BLM to the tune of 600k. It's a meme pushed to the left and once again blacks and false accounts of racism are being used. The oldest play in their playbook.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #89
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Point taken, but they have yet to make as much an event over it. They don't after the fact and I doubt if asked they would respond with the furtherance of a false narrative that has divided the country for over two years now. The truth is the theme and meme of BLM and the protests by NFL players is incorrect, false or even worse subversive. George Soro's's himself has funded BLM to the tune of 600k. It's a meme pushed to the left and once again blacks and false accounts of racism are being used. The oldest play in their playbook.
I think that's one of the greatest weaknesses to the credibility of the BLM movement.
There seems to be no 'quality control'.
As long as an incident is trending hot, it will be championed.
You could have a guy dress up as the terminator, drive a car through the police station wall, and attempt to gun down officers 1-by-1, and once the guy is killed, - if he happens to be black, he becomes that day's 'victim of racism'.

You've got some people involved with their media movement who value trends and clicks above all else.
They are obviously talented, and have a strong grasp of social media, but the quality of their material doesn't stand up to a critical eye.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #90
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Nice try. He winds the article up comparing the climate in 1967 to the current climate. That's absurd.

CP has every right to make an ass of himself. But drawing a line between 1967 and today is a joke.
Is it? I don't think so. That's just the span of my lifetime, doesn't seem all that long to me. Still plenty of ugliness to be seen even today. New York City is a very diverse place, but I still see it here. I listen to the rantings of a guy I grew up with back home who never left and he doesn't sound any different than the people 50 years ago blaming blacks for all his problems. Saw a video a few days ago of various people in crowds at Trump rallies. When Trump brought up the President, a guy started screaming "******". No one around him seemed to have a problem with it. You think it really is so different? I think that is absurd.

Just passing laws changes nothing. Attitudes become so institutionalized people sometimes don't even realize what they are doing. I don't stand up for the national anthem to salute veterans. I respect them but that's not what its about to me. It's about what the country is supposed to stand for. That's what I stand for and that's what he sits for and I have no problem with that. Besides that I've always felt it was a crap awful song to represent this country with, but that's a different subject. Something like America the Beautiful would be a far better choice IMO

Having been a first hand witness of 9/11 I am really growing weary of the cult of flag waiving and soldier worship that happened after that because of the hatred that seems to come out of it. I got no problem with soldiers. My best friend growing up was an Air Force fighter jock and two of my cousins are Marines. Those were the careers they chose and I respect that choice. But the simple fact of the matter is that a soldier has the same job whether he works for a democracy or a dictatorship and that is to protect the country from a foreign invader. He does not protect your freedom. Only you can do that by educating yourself and by taking action when you feel there has been injustice.

I don't think him sitting is going to make any real difference. But the fact that he did this full well knowing it would likely cost him makes me have to respect his choice. Standing up for your national anthem should not be about a lock step response that is part of some social construct patriotism (a great phrase I heard earlier today and wish I had come up with it). It is about belief in what your country represents. He doesn't feel it is representing certain issues as it should. He stays seated and I got no problem with that.

Hmm...I guess PA software blocks certain words. Well, it was a 6 letter word that starts with N and rhymes with digger so use your imagination...

Last edited by OTM Al; 08-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Closed Thread