Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #61
the little guy

From the sublime to the ridiculous
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #62
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Part of me feels bad when I write a machine learning algorithm that advises me to take money out of others’ pockets in the mutuels but the indignantly stubborn opinions from people like you help get me over it
I've long suspected that we have some great horseplayers here...but I never imagined that we had members here whose strong moral fiber actually cause them to feel bad when they take money out of other horseplayers' pockets. I'm impressed!
Old 04-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #63
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've long suspected that we have some great horseplayers here...but I never imagined that we had members here whose strong moral fiber actually cause them to feel bad when they take money out of other horseplayers' pockets. I'm impressed!
When you have the technical skill to do things like scrape video to determine what the runup actually was, build your own programs, and put machine learning algorithms on top of it, it’s almost unfair when I see somebody touting a sophisticated tote analysis as if it’s relevant
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #64
thaskalos

Quote:
When you have the technical skill to do things like scrape video to determine what the runup actually was, build your own programs, and put machine learning algorithms on top of it, it’s almost unfair when I see somebody touting a sophisticated tote analysis as if it’s relevant
You got me beat by a mile!

My only tools are the online past performances, a pen, a note pad...and a $9 calculator.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #65
acorn54

Quote:
it is said of thomas edison, the great inventor, that the secret to his genius, was that he never thought he was the smartest person in the room.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #66
Robert Fischer
clean money

That Race in question from (OP) (Mah r7) - Did not have any incoming/outgoing multis.

That is my main tote model = Reading the various incoming/outgoing multis.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #67
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You got me beat by a mile!

My only tools are the online past performances, a pen, a note pad...and a $9 calculator.
I absolutely do not believe for one minute you spent $9 on a calculator.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #68
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I absolutely do not believe for one minute you spent $9 on a calculator.
https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instrum...%2C188&sr=8-20

I don't know if you can see it...but at the top of the Amazon page it says that I bought said calculator on November 2, 2017.

I never lie about important matters.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #69
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
it is said of thomas edison, the great inventor, that the secret to his genius, was that he never thought he was the smartest person in the room.
It’s a good adage to live by because you can never learn if you walk into a room with that mindset
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #70
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
That’s because he knew he wasn’t. Especially when Nicola Tesla was in the room.
Quote:
It’s a good adage to live by because you can never learn if you walk into a room with that mindset
Tesla later quit working with Edison obviously because of his pompous self-centered attitude. Edison refused to learn anything from his superior mind. He even went as far as trying to discredit Tesla’s genius with feeble attempts to demonstrate the dangers of the AC current.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #71
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
To be honest I would have no interest generating that type of information. Converting all of my plays to illustrate just $1 returns is asking a bit much. However, be my guest for you or anyone else in using the PA “Search” engine to review all of my posted selections (well over 1,000) with their results. All you have to do is enter “Tote Analysis” if you’re logged in and add “Nitro” if you’re not. BTW I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself.
I honestly was going to try this because I needed a good laugh this morning.

But...

Since you only post your selections as "1, 2, 3 w/ 4, 5, 6" how would anyone know what you "wager" from that type of layout? You can pretty much twist that around after the race to make it any combination of those six horses, couldn't you? Not that would ever do that....
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #72
Tape Reader

Nitro: A few years back I had a home-grown program that could rank a horse by specific, user defined conditions, at a certain time off the tote board. Can the software that you use accomplish that or are they “canned indicators”?

Please excuse my naivety on this topic as I have never used a commercial tote board program.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #73
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I honestly was going to try this because I needed a good laugh this morning.
But...
Since you only post your selections as "1, 2, 3 w/ 4, 5, 6" how would anyone know what you "wager" from that type of layout? You can pretty much twist that around after the race to make it any combination of those six horses, couldn't you? Not that would ever do that....
The ONLY time I post selections using the format of 3 Key entries w/ 3 others is when I’m doing the races in HK when there are 12 or more entries in a race. When posting selections for Stateside tracks with 8 or more entries I normally use a 2 Key w/ 3 other entry format. In order to share that info most posts are made by 3 mins to post.

Anyone (with very little difficulty) can easily figure out the potential betting arrangements if they take the time to read the opening post to EVERY HK thread I’ve ever started. All potential wagers are described in detail. If there’s any “twisting” going on its done Prior to post time when I often provide a posted Update to those selections BEFORE the race goes off usually by 3 mins to post.

I hope your laughter makes you feel better!
Old 04-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #74
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Nitro: A few years back I had a home-grown program that could rank a horse by specific, user defined conditions, at a certain time off the tote board. Can the software that you use accomplish that or are they “canned indicators”?

Please excuse my naivety on this topic as I have never used a commercial tote board program.
I’m not sure what you mean by “user defined conditions”. If you’re talking about anything related to the PP’s or the race conditions then I would say “No”. The “canned indicators” are based only on the flow of money in order to uncover specific betting patterns.

If I were the developer of this program I could probably provide more details. So to be honest I’m also a bit in the dark when it comes the “nuts and bolts” of the program's operation. What I found very interesting is that the algorithms in the program I’m told take into account the human psychological and behavioral aspects of betting in general.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #75
Robert Fischer
clean money

Mah 4 coming up now... gotta think the will get hammered down from 2:1.

6/5?? even money?