Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
acorn54

cancellation of student debt by santa claus

unfortunately santa clause was too late for me. i had to work my way through college with work to pay most of the tuition.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
davew

that is still on some wish lists

they should change the tax laws so that interest is deductible like home loans, since the students have mortgages on their brain/life
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post

they should change the tax laws so that interest is deductible like home loans, since the students have mortgages on their brain/life
what "should" be done, is people that go to college, be made aware they are responsible for paying bsck the money they borrow, don't you think, whether it is on education or anything else. i was set straight in life by being told that the world doesn't owe me a living, and i had to learn the value of a dollar. i remember when i was shopping around for a possible law school to attend after getting my undergraduate degree, which was fully paid off, that i was going to have to pay back the money i borrowed, ( it was 70,000).
Old 03-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
what "should" be done, is people that go to college, be made aware they are responsible for paying bsck the money they borrow, don't you think, whether it is on education or anything else. i was set straight in life by being told that the world doesn't owe me a living, and i had to learn the value of a dollar. i remember when i was shopping around for a possible law school to attend after getting my undergraduate degree, which was fully paid off, that i was going to have to pay back the money i borrowed, ( it was 70,000).
If young folks aspiring to attend college don't understand what "loan" means, they have no business going to college in the first place.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
If young folks aspiring to attend college don't understand what "loan" means, they have no business going to college in the first place.
there is a difference in knowing what 'loan is' and understanding that a single person paying federal and state taxes in a liberal state takes over half of pay.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

I recall a story from Napoleon Hill's Think & Grow Rich about one of HIS great lessons in life coming after he signed up for correspondence classes.

He stopped taking the lessons but the company still insisted upon being paid.

He said that he figured if he had to pay anyway, he might as well finish the course.

Actually, TWO good lessons.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
there is a difference in knowing what 'loan is' and understanding that a single person paying federal and state taxes in a liberal state takes over half of pay.
Ahh...so shortsightedness is their sin.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:

It is already deductible with certain limitations applied.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
tucker6

This has nothing to do with students clamoring for their loans to be gifted. It has everything to do with universities and professors wanting govt subsidies so they don't have to limit the gravy train. Without free money, universities were about 5-10 years away from pricing many families out of the college marketplace. With govt subsidies, they can charge anything they want and Uncle Joe will foot the bill. And you get indoctrinated to boot.

Last edited by tucker6; 03-16-2021 at 01:39 PM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
This has nothing to do with students clamoring for their loans to be gifted. It has everything to do with universities and professors wanting govt subsidies so they don't have to limit the gravy train. Without free money, universities were about 5-10 years away from pricing many families out of the college marketplace. With govt subsidies, they can charge anything they want and Uncle Joe will foot the bill. And you get indoctrinated to boot.
partly right. there is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately the individual is responsible for his financial decisions.
way back when, my father, god rest his soul, said to me, you only go to college to learn a profession. i decided on accounting, knowing full well that the profession i was entering had to pay for the loans i was taking out to pay back what i borrowed in a reasonable time.
let me elaborate what boxcar said earlier if he will permit me. if a person can't figure out what i knew at 18, he has no business going to college in the first place. don't blame the professors or the college administrators for the students purchasing their services. caveat emptor applies here, like in all other offer and acceptance transactions.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
tucker6

Quote:
partly right. there is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately the individual is responsible for his financial decisions.
way back when, my father, god rest his soul, said to me, you only go to college to learn a profession. i decided on accounting, knowing full well that the profession i was entering had to pay for the loans i was taking out to pay back what i borrowed in a reasonable time.
let me elaborate what boxcar said earlier if he will permit me. if a person can't figure out what i knew at 18, he has no business going to college in the first place. don't blame the professors or the college administrators for the students purchasing their services. caveat emptor applies here, like in all other offer and acceptance transactions.
Don't get me wrong here. I paid my way through college and believe kids should still do the same. You only respect a thing (diploma in this case) if you have skin in the game. That said, the driving force behind this govt subsidy scheme are the universities and teaching profession. To a lesser extent it is the high school guidance counselors who tells kids they have to go to college. If you're going to college for a psychology or history degree, for God's sake, don't go to college. Get a job or learn a trade and you'll come out ahead in the end.

I would like to know why history students pay the same tuition as engineering students? One is more valuable over a lifetime than the other. They should not be treated the same.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
thaskalos

If I were a dictator, the top 20% of the students wouldn't pay a dime for their education, no matter how "advanced" it became. It would be considered an incentive for higher learning, and an investment in my country's future. Why spend all the money on bombs deployed in foreign countries? And, before someone asks, I have financed my education and that of my son's solely out of my own pocket. Just because I haven't benefitted from my country's "generosity" doesn't mean that other kids shouldn't either. More money than this is being wasted by our government with barely a mention.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-16-2021 at 03:25 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
If you're going to college for a psychology or history degree, for God's sake, don't go to college. Get a job or learn a trade and you'll come out ahead in the end.
I don't know about that. If this board is any indication...there must be a plethora of people out there in dire need of psychological counseling.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #14
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If I were a dictator, the top 20% of the students wouldn't pay a dime for their education, no matter how "advanced" it became. It would be considered an incentive for higher learning, and an investment in my country's future. Why spend all the money on bombs deployed in foreign countries? And, before someone asks, I have financed my education and that of my son's solely out of my own pocket. Just because I haven't benefitted from my country's "generosity" doesn't mean that other kids shouldn't either. More money than this is being wasted by our government with barely a mention.

I would agree with you but the problem would be in identifying the top 20% of the students. Would it be done on race, gender, equity, or lottery?
Old 03-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #15
tbwinner

college/university costs have skyrocketed with the help of "cheap" student Loans. Why has something that used to cost 15K now costs 40K? They're not getting anything more...

Don't forget you can get $$$ out for your student loans...and buy laptops, TVs, tablets, whatever else you want. People do this with the hope (and some, expectation) they will be forgiven.

There are still affordable trade and community schools out there...but they're getting harder to find.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: