Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #16
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Been doing all this for a very very long time

Nice ya'll are catching up

My consulting fee is outrageous anyway
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Better
Touché AndyC, and CJ
Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
green80

it's not the odds drop at the bell but the odds drop after they pass the wire that gets me
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
it's not the odds drop at the bell but the odds drop after they pass the wire that gets me
I've seen the odds drop as late as when the winner heads to the winners circle. Which explains why I have moved my action to Twinspires. Now, I don't see the odds drop at all. The Twinspires tote board lists the odds of the winner at 2-1...even if the odds at the host track have dropped to even money.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
classhandicapper

I haven't been as worried about late odds drops lately. My horses never win.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #21
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I haven't been as worried about late odds drops lately. My horses never win.
Mine don't win lately either. And I am getting a peculiar sense of satisfaction when I think that my "well-meant" horses are burning up more bankrolls than just my own.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
Parkview_Pirate

I don't see this issue as much of a problem, especially considering all the other aspects that need improvement in the game. And I doubt if the whales are complaining - they know how to project final odds, and wager to those numbers. It's not like you're entitled to the odds when you placed your bet - if you want that, stick to football. And the North American late odds swings are quite small when compared to the small pool swings for Australian racing - but I'm used to the 12-1 horse being cut to 7/2 during the race.

That being said, there are changes that could help. Fixed odds wagering would be one. Back when I had an IASBET account, I would take advantage of that now and then, but not as often as I first thought when I opened the account. Lowering takeout and restricting rebates to be equally applied across all bettors would be another, but any long time horseplayer isn't holding his or her breath for that.

I do hope we'll see newer technology help with this as well, as the sports betting sites pick up more handle and offer in-race betting (and hopefully fixed odds). But the economic incentive to make improvements in the horse racing game is far more dependent on major changes from the top down - race day medication, tax breaks for owners, and national rules/management to consolidate tracks and still offer a decent product are far more important steps to be taken to reverse the downward spiral we're seeing today.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #23
Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Anythings costs money and doing nothing is free

Fact is, tracks DO NOT CARE about your average player. As long as the whales are happy, you don't count.

Show up with your family, your picnic basket, and SHUT UP AND BET.

Dead serious.
If you think YOU matter at the track, you are crazy.
It's supposed to be gambling (entertainment) to support the track executives and trainers. Which has some merit but not to the extent it exists today - a personal opinion of course.

I do sympathize with the majority of owners that fund this entire operation. The Whales are just taking advantage of the greed of the track executives and exploiting their advantages.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #24
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
It's supposed to be gambling (entertainment) to support the track executives and trainers. Which has some merit but not to the extent it exists today - a personal opinion of course.

I do sympathize with the majority of owners that fund this entire operation. The Whales are just taking advantage of the greed of the track executives and exploiting their advantages.

Your second paragraph was echoed in this editorial by owner Kirk Robison, including these lines:

Horse owners invest the most and lose the most. Consistently. Owners leave the racing business. Who else does? Multiple sources have put it very simply–purses are about $1 billion per year in the U.S. and in the aggregate owners’ expenses are about $2 billion per year. Any questions? Mr. Gary Falter’s letter to the editor failed to mention the only possible remedy for attracting more owners. Many politicians have said “it’s the economy, stupid.” For us in racing change that to “it’s the purses, stupid.” When a business or sport (horse racing) model has expenses that are about double potential income (purses) we are in deep trouble. There is no solution to what ails this ownership issue except much, much higher purses at all levels and at all tracks. The numbers don’t lie.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...-kirk-robison/
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #25
Gorrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
AmWager offers this through the True Odds. AFAIK, it's a formula that encompasses as much of the other pools as possible. However, showing the win implied odds from the different pools individually, rather than aggregating, is a neat idea. Guess it just competes for already precious real estate

Yes we do calculate implied odds as a weighted value which we call "TRU" odds. It uses weighted values of Live WIN, EX, DBL Pools, Past race full double pool and PK3 willpays.

The heaviest input by far is the last race Double pool.

If anyone else in the industry would like to use it or a version of it feel free to reach out. We would like to see more tools like this all around.

Have a few more things in the works I think you guys will find interesting as well.

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #26
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Your second paragraph was echoed in this editorial by owner Kirk Robison, including these lines:

Horse owners invest the most and lose the most. Consistently. Owners leave the racing business. Who else does? Multiple sources have put it very simply–purses are about $1 billion per year in the U.S. and in the aggregate owners’ expenses are about $2 billion per year. Any questions? Mr. Gary Falter’s letter to the editor failed to mention the only possible remedy for attracting more owners. Many politicians have said “it’s the economy, stupid.” For us in racing change that to “it’s the purses, stupid.” When a business or sport (horse racing) model has expenses that are about double potential income (purses) we are in deep trouble. There is no solution to what ails this ownership issue except much, much higher purses at all levels and at all tracks. The numbers don’t lie.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...-kirk-robison/
With a bunch of gamblers, a full field of horses and a 15% take for the house I'm sure there's a way for a racetrack to make money. Those are the basic elements. However now it's everything else, like the way it has evolved into an industry, breeding industry, celebrity trainers, drugs, vets, everybody literally has a hand out. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that so many people have jobs but if running horses around an oval for betting purposes was ever going to be self sustaining I'm not sure we're currently looking at the very best design for it.

Last edited by MJC922; 02-27-2020 at 06:45 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply